AIBU re: Work Kitchen Etiquette?

(38 Posts)
StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 12:19:58

First world problem here.

At work we have a really small kitchen to make tea/coffee, it allows about one person in.

Well why do some people when I'm trying to make a tea - takes all of 1 minute - still lean over me to get to the cupboard to get their cup out and then squeeze on to the end or the side, and make a tea perched on the end.

I have actually mentioned this to one person, they looked told off, I felt guilty and they have been alright since.

This morining someone said can I get a glass out for a water, I said I'll only be a sec and they proceeded to still lean over me to the cupboard.

WAIT!!!!
ALL OF 30 SECONDS.

It's a bit about personal space too.

I know IABU to let this annoy me but AIBU to expoect people to wait, and then glare if they don't?? angry

StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 12:20:36

Sorry Typos .... blush

YABU. If there's space to squeeze up, why should they wait?

atthewelles Fri 25-Jan-13 12:27:31

YANBU. I can't stand people hovering around me when I'm trying to make a quick cup of tea or a slice of toast in the toaster.
I also HATE it when people comment on what you're eating.

StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 12:29:02

Trav
There is only space as I am 7 stone.

They manage to squeeze in as I hurt my arse on the bin angry

Wait 30 seconds though?
Really!

sausagesandwich34 Fri 25-Jan-13 12:29:13

wouldn't it be nice if the person who is making the tea offered the others one and then you wouldn't have this problem?

or maybe, you could have just passed them a glass hmm

VinegarTits Fri 25-Jan-13 12:30:04

allows one person in? is your kitchen in a toilet cubicle? i would complain to the company about the facilities, and squeeze up a bit until they sort it out

StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 12:30:34

sausages ne barged pass me before I had a chance hmm at you too.

spatchcock Fri 25-Jan-13 12:31:07

YABU. Just pass them a glass, how hard can it be? You sound like the colleague who gets everyone's back up.

StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 12:33:37

spatch ha! You know me so well already on one post well done hmm x

(those posters who ask AIBU then won't accept it. TSK)

StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 12:34:02

HE DIDNT GIVE ME A CHANCE leant all over me LOL

LadySybilPussPolham Fri 25-Jan-13 12:35:28

Get an 'Engaged' sign for the door and wedge it shut when you're in there

atthewelles Fri 25-Jan-13 12:41:16

Jeeze give the poster a break. She's only asking people to wait a few secs while she finishes making a cup of tea. Why on earth should that make her 'the colleague who gets everyone's backs up'? confused

StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 12:43:11

Thanks welles my point exactly.

I would not begrduge a glass passing being given an opportunity to do it.

I was just leant over like I didnt exist.

Backtobedlam Fri 25-Jan-13 12:46:29

The trouble is people probably don't realise you're in there until they are up from their desk, so they either look a bit if a tit by sitting back down for 30secs then going back up, or they hang around you and wait/get on with what they want.

StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 12:49:44

back that's a point there.

Maybe I am an anal bitch. I dunno. Probably <shrug>

Just being leant over this morning was really dismissive, and I am careful about knocking into people and barging. I'd rather wait.

redexpat Fri 25-Jan-13 12:54:29

I don't think YABU. Personal space, like you said.

CooEeeEldridge Fri 25-Jan-13 12:55:22

YANBU, BUT! I think it may be you (and me!) to some extent? Our work kitchen sounds similar, and I wait untill it seems that everyone's done their stuff and go in, I use it as a tiny break and bit of respite from the office, so get massively oissed off when people come barging in! Just wait a sec!!!! If only every on was like us and waited their turn eh op?! wink

But I can see that other people want a drink, and they WANT IT NOW!!

atthewelles Fri 25-Jan-13 12:56:37

Also, this idea that if you're making yourself a cup of tea you should offer to make one for everyone else in the place would drive me mad. You'd never get anything else done.

GinAndSlimlinePlease Fri 25-Jan-13 12:57:43

gosh, 1 minute to make a cuppa? That's ages.

I barely have time for a cup of tea at work, so I do rush in, fill mug, dump teabag, rush out. I wouldn't push anyone out the way but I might get a little annoyed if they took a minute for One cup of tea.

You're well within your rights to get annoyed when people shove you or hurt you. but maybe you are spending a little long in there?

atthewelles Fri 25-Jan-13 13:01:39

You sound like you need to de-stress a bit Gin. It's one minute

StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 13:01:46

but maybe you are spending a little long in there?

I've been here 5 years, 4 cuppas a day 1 min to make each.

Maybe? Dunno!
I do work as well, and I am the ONLY one who ever offers to make tea.
Only my boss accepts. So actually I usually make the 2.

But then again this is AIBU I'm now drip feeding!
haha

Then again it is not the end of the world I can laugh about it too.

StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 13:03:52

YANBU, BUT! I think it may be you (and me!) to some extent? and yes if I am the only one with a problem I can accept it might be me.

New plan - Body Build then Sucker Punch them out the kitchen grin

?

EldritchCleavage Fri 25-Jan-13 13:05:24

Well, I don't think YABU. I don't like that kind of space invasion. Or impatience.

My bugbear is people who come right around my desk and stand bang next to my chair so I am trapped in the corner and they are in my personal space staring at my screen. Just stand opposite me in front of the desk or perch on the widow sill to the side like a normal person. Is it telling that only men do it?

WingDefence Fri 25-Jan-13 13:14:22

YANBU - The kitchen on my floor is absolutely tiny too - probably smaller than the size of a look cubicle and just enough room for a sink, little fridge, a tiny bit of work surface, the little hot water machine and cupboards above.

Saying that, most people wait in the corridor just the person in front has finished but in your situation just step back/forward into them or tread on their toe and then say 'oh sorry, but there isn't enough room for two people in here, is there? hmm'

I'm so glad I work from home now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now