Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to think there is a problem on MN discussing anything at all to do with income

(335 Posts)
amillionyears Wed 23-Jan-13 10:07:26

There are a lot of threads started nowadays, that are causing offence to people who are on low incomes.

It is getting increasingly difficult for those on higher incomes to discuss quite a lot of things.

I dont know if the answer is for those with more income, to not talk much about anything, or those with less income to let them talk about what they want to talk about.

I dont know the answer to all of this.
I would like both sets, or indeed anyone in the middle, to be in harmony on MN!

Bonsoir Wed 23-Jan-13 21:12:22

If you are able to charge yourself out at £1,200 a day, you can always work more days. You are a high-earner working PT.

lougle Wed 23-Jan-13 21:15:54

primafacie, I disagree. If you are a high-earner in 'per hour terms' you have the luxury of choice which a low earner in 'per hour terms' does not.

nkf Wed 23-Jan-13 21:17:49

I don't really agree. I think sometimes the threads are fine and sometimes not. For example, I once posted something about all the pre-credit crunch things people missed. And no arguments, nothing mean, just people sharing how they missed perfume and haircuts and so on.

Then this morning, a thread in which a piano teacher couldn't afford to get the piano tuned went haywire. I think it's often the word "class" that's the red flag rather than money.

Primafacie Wed 23-Jan-13 22:54:26

The taxman says you are a high earner if you make £130k or more in the tax year. It doesn't look at the number of days you've worked and say "oh, you made 15k but only worked 12 days, so you make £1200 a day, if you worked FT you'd be a HE therefore we'll put you in the higher bracket."

Thankfully smile

Lougle, I get your point about having more choice, but that doesn't make you a HE, just a low earner with time on your hands.

SnowLiviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 23-Jan-13 23:02:55

amillionyears

I would like both sets, or indeed anyone in the middle, to be in harmony on MN!

or as I would put it, PEACE AND LOVE

grin

SaraBellumHertz Thu 24-Jan-13 17:31:28

I was once torn apart on a "nanny thread". Nothing I thought to do with the issues which concerned settling my youngest DC and about which I was genuinely upset.

It was like open season and more than a handful of posters suggested I was a selfish bitch for having a nanny - dont think I'd have got that sort of response if I'd mentioned a CM.

I thought the OP on the piano thread was amusing and it didn't appear to be malicious in intent. Relative poverty is just that and so it was a shame she was subjected to such vitriol although there were a couple of very odd posts and one at least that was a blatant (and off topic boast) weird.

amillionyears Thu 24-Jan-13 17:41:09

PEACE AND LOVE SnowLivia Mumsnet
t'would be lovely smile

[sorry, not sure why I have not spotted your reply till now]

Any chance of a "squeezed middle" thread, to go alongside the "credit crunch" thread?

[not sure there would be too much PEACE AND LOVE if the "squeezed middle" posted in credit crunch].

TotallyBS Fri 25-Jan-13 12:00:33

Not that I seriously expect MNHQ to start up a "Squeezed Middle-class"forum but.....

On MN, as in the Real World, there are people who are struggling financially or their children are struggling academically.

Some of these people don't really want to hear about other people's piano tutor problems or which GS offer to accept or how they can only afford one holiday a year instead of the usual two or... or ...

Some of these people will simply ignore such threads. Others will inject themselves into a thread about what is a good salary for a returning to work SAHM for example and lecture people on how they are being insensitive to people who can only dream about being on what has been labelled as a "low" salary.

This latter category of MNetter will inject herself into a thread even though the forum is "Squeezed Middle-class" and it's in flashing neon.

TotallyBS Fri 25-Jan-13 12:02:24

...and then proceed to lecture people for bring insensitive.

threesocksmorgan Fri 25-Jan-13 12:03:38

if you want an squeezed middle topic op, can you ask for a "carers shafted by the government" one too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now