To want another baby at 41

(134 Posts)
raceorama Tue 22-Jan-13 10:19:08

I have 3 dcs and would really like a forth. My DH is not so keen though to go through the baby stage again not sure if I should try to change his mind. Anyone else in similar situation.

orangeandlemons Thu 24-Jan-13 09:24:16

My mum had me late. She was in her mid/late 60's when I was in my 20's. I never found her difficult or vague to talk to. She was wise, tolerant and huge minded. Her age made no difference at all to my relationship with her. In fact it was a bonus.

I had dd at 42. I love her to bits, but have to admit at 49 I do have less energy than even 42. I am not interested in current music but was when younger, and feel a bit left behind in the whole social networking thing. I do wonder how this is going to impact on her when she is older. I do not dress frumpy most people think I am late 30's, but somewhere at the back of mind is the a little finger of guilt saying I am too old for her........

Cakecrumbsinmybra Thu 24-Jan-13 13:10:05

eggsy11, well OP has said she has young children and is already in her 40's, so actually you are being a bit offensive. And a bit smug and naive too.

IfNotNowThenWhen Thu 24-Jan-13 20:32:35

Alot of things depend on general health and outlook too.
I was chatting to a woman on the checkout at the supermarket who was about to be GGM at the age of 63. She seemed so much older than that to me-just by her manner and outlook.
My dsis had hers at 42 and my step-dad, who is 70 is very fit and healthy, always has the latest phone, plays computer games and is very involved with his gdc. I reckon he has a good 20 years in him.
I also overheard two men in the butchers chatting. I took them to be 65-70 until they started talking about the ages of their kids (50-60) and one of them said "and you'll be hitting 90 soon, like me Bob?" I did a double take, because one of them was the butcher-still working!
The other one said "Aye. We've got another 10 year or so at least".
"Oh aye" said the first man. " I'm might even retire and enjoy me sen"
grin(And they were not kidding!)

IfNotNowThenWhen Thu 24-Jan-13 20:34:39

Oh, for the non Yorkshire folk "me sen" means myself

crashdoll Thu 24-Jan-13 20:46:58

I was 40 when I had my DP.

grin Quite an age difference between you and your partner, is there?!

grin Well I suppose I did! DS I mean - doh!

greenfolder Thu 24-Jan-13 22:02:14

Ok- I feel compelled to say this

Dd3 arrived when I was nearly 40, when others were 10 and 12. I in no way regret having her-she is a much wanted and loved child. Dds now 18,15 and 5.

If I had had any inkling how hard, draining and expensive teens are, I am really not sure I would have been so keen. You are already looking at 3 teens already. Think ahead a bit.

orangeandlemons Fri 25-Jan-13 11:18:53

Yes, will second that about teens. The cost!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 25-Jan-13 14:24:55

Cost of school shoes! Holiday travel/accommodation! Food bills! Replacing broken/lost gadgets! Driving lessons! <apparently bottomless pockets, thank goodness for money tree we planted>.

Of course they are worth it {eyes water}.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now