To think we do need the fireguard up?

(76 Posts)
TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Mon 21-Jan-13 17:32:11

Because apparently we don't hmm

We have an open fire in our living room, the hearth is brick with thick sandstone slabs laid on top. So it's pretty solid. This is our hearth. We have one of these to go around it to stop DD (19mo) getting to it. But DP always removes it and puts it in another room out of the way because he says it blocks heat getting into the room, it's a pain in the arse for putting stuff on the fire and if we're in the room then DD will be fine. This obviously is bullshit. I was sat no more than 4ft away from her the other day and she hit her head on the hearth. Luckily it wasn't hard enough to cause any damage but it did make her cry and she never cries if she falls etc.

There is also the issue of toys, DD has this ball shooter thingy, a bit like a lawnmower, you push it along and it picks up balls then you press the trigger and it shoots them out. A couple of times the balls have been fired onto the hearth, one day they'll end up in the actual fire! It's just so bloody dangerous with no fireguard there but DP just can't seem to see it! He cares more about staying warm and his convenience than keeping DD and her toys in one piece!

I'm not being unreasonable at all really am I?

greenpostit Mon 21-Jan-13 22:13:30

Yanbu. I have the baby dan fire guard attached to the wall. My dc are 4 and 6. We need it - it takes no heat, it has a gate in it, a child cannot move it. They can't hit their head on the hearth and they can't fall into/catch clothes int the fire. They would never touch the fire if the guard wasn't there, but they could have an accident. I see no reason to get rid of it any time soon - have you seem a 6 and 4yo chase each other?!

MumVsKids Mon 21-Jan-13 22:13:38
piprabbit Mon 21-Jan-13 22:15:52

Introduce your DH to the notoriously complex concept of "holes". They are the large gaps between the wire of the fire guard, through which air can travel. If the fire is on then the hot air will travel through the "holes" and warm the air on the other side of the fire guard.

Now comes the tricky bit, he'll need to concentrate now but I'm sure he's up to the job if he just persists. While the "holes" are too big to stop the hot air leaking out, they are too small to allow your DD to get near the fire. This means that your DD cannot come into contact with the fire. This is a good thing. Fire can maim and burn people. Adults can take responsibility for staying away from fire for themselves, but children need to be protected.

I hope this clarifies things for your DH. Now he knows how the "holes" work, I'm sure he'll be happy to use the fire guard to protect your DD.

mum2bubble Mon 21-Jan-13 22:29:04

YANBU - we have a woodburner and use a babydan guard and our dd is 7. We have used it to protect from the hearth just as much as the fire.

sukysue Mon 21-Jan-13 23:05:15

How can he risk your dd's health by doing this . There again he obviously knows best! Wanker.

I tripped into a gas fire, well it was one of those fake fires with the yellow/orange/red glass coals (very 80's) when I was 6, I still have the scar on my hand I am 27 now btw.

I dread to think what would have happened if it was an open fire. YANBU.

smornintime Mon 21-Jan-13 23:17:41

YANBU. Ridiculous thing to do. Does he think the same about a stair gate, out of curiosity?

Oh and I remember the blisters on my hand sad

missingmumxox Mon 21-Jan-13 23:44:33

do you need a real fire? if so a guard is the only way to go children or no children.
google turned up this
www.kent.fire-uk.org/your_safety/children.aspx and yes the child who died recently, if all else fails get your local fire service to do a home safety visit whilst he is at home they will put him right.
I had one and got a couple of free alarms and some good advice.
he sounds a twat on this subject btw

Bunbaker Mon 21-Jan-13 23:50:04

I second the idea of a home safety visit from the fire service. It doesn't cost anything.

TheCraicDealer Tue 22-Jan-13 00:00:00

Aye and hearing this stuff from a fireman might the shitters up him enough to leave it where it is.

Or tell him he can only have the fire on when DD is in bed if he refuses to use the guard. The more you think about it the more unbelievable his attitude is.

bedmonster Tue 22-Jan-13 00:00:07

Shit yanbu. We are really quite lax when it comes to child safety, never had stair gates, door locks, window locks (upstairs windows only have top opening little flap things anyway) or any of that carry on, but would never light the fire without the guard.
It does block out some (a very small amount) of the heat, it doesn't look as attractive, it is a pita when putting more logs on, but ultimately it is there for safety. Fire really can be life or death. Your Dp needs to do some research.

YANBU. DD was about that age when she walked up and touched a friend's wood burning stove. We all saw it happen, but couldn't reach her quick enough to stop her. We were all very lucky that she had two small burns on her fingers which healed without scars. She could have tripped and landed with her face against it. She could have put her whole hand on it. My blood runs cold just thinking about that small, totally avoidable accident and how much worse it could have been. An open fire is probably worse.

Yfronts Tue 22-Jan-13 00:08:08

you are totally in the right. It will be too late to do anything if your DD gets burnt or causes a fire.

louisianablue2000 Tue 22-Jan-13 00:14:58

YANBU. Like a PP we haven't childproofed our house at all (despite having three children under five) but would never light the fire in the dining room without the guard in front of it. Sadly some people do not understand the danger. The ILs were with us for Christmas and they repeatedly made comments about the 'excessive' fireguard we had, inbetween telling the story of niece2 burning herself on the fire at the PILs house. The connection was not made. Sigh.

frogspoon Tue 22-Jan-13 00:15:32

This was on 24 hours in A&E last year:
(Warning, v distressing video)

www.channel4.com/programmes/24-hours-in-ae/video/series-2/episode-11/s2-ep11-burns

YANBU

MrsMushroom Tue 22-Jan-13 00:18:13

Get your foot down. Tell him if he removes it again, you'll chuck a bucket of water on the fire.

Do it.

IfYouCanMoveItItsNotBroken Tue 22-Jan-13 00:21:56

I have an open fire too. I never believed a fire guard could actually stop heat escaping from the fire until we bought one of those ones with tiny holes that stop sparks when you first light it. It really does stop the heat getting into the room. But we always use it together with the bigger one like yours which is bolted to the wall. Which does not block any heat whatsoever. I tend to only burn coal as it doesn't spark like wood and only keep the smaller one on for the first 5 minutes after lighting. We would not use a coal fire without the guard. Ever. And I would be fucking livid to come home and find it down. Saying that, I have absolutely no advice to give you as to how to make your husband see sense.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Tue 22-Jan-13 00:27:45

No strangely enough confused we have stair gates on the bottom of the stairs, one at the top of the landing and one on the kitchen.

grin Pip, thank you for that wonderful tutorial grin

vicarlady Tue 22-Jan-13 00:58:51

I think there must be a fireguard on an open fire when there is a child under 12 in the room (7 in Scotland). It's an old Act - 1908 Children's Act - but still in force as far as I know.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Tue 22-Jan-13 09:02:37

I would love the Baby Dan one, it looks great! I think if we had that there wouldn't be a problem but we can't afford one.

The guard is fastened to the wall, it never used to be but as soon as DD started pulling herself up on furniture etc I made DP drill the holes and fasten it up.

pollyblue Tue 22-Jan-13 11:22:37

I'd second the advice to have a fire safety visit from your local fire station. My BIL does these frequently - they can give (and fit) free smoke alarms if required, advise on general fire safety and certainly have a Stern Word with your DH.

Perhaps if he hears if from someone official he will take it seriously. But i'm still grrr on your behalf that he ignores your (very valid) concerns.

valiumredhead Tue 22-Jan-13 11:30:00

chipping is right.

How do they block heat though?

KobayashiMaru Tue 22-Jan-13 12:48:25

yanbu.

They most certainly do block some of the heat though, its obvious when you are sitting in front of it, the difference in heat between fireguard on and off is large.
The metal absorbs a lot of the heat and blocks the air flow,, only some gets through. It does depend on the type of guard though, ours is like this

shrinkingnora Tue 22-Jan-13 12:57:06

PM me and if you are anywhere near you can have my baby dan one on long term loan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now