AIBU to think school should give phone back?

(80 Posts)
wondermammy Sun 20-Jan-13 00:15:39

Hi all, my first post on here but really wanted peoples opinions on this. MY DD1 is 15 and in transition year in secondary school which i think is year 10 or 11 in england? anyways, last week DD's phone was taken off her in class for "texting"(don't suspect this as teacher has a vengeance against our family due to previous members being in school and she sits at the front , shes not stupid!!),the phone was sent to vice principals office and couldn't be retrieved for 24hrs and had to be collected by a parent/guardian!! As both DH and i work from 9-5 we couldn't collect phone and had to ask DU to collect it.DD had to do the journey home without a phone which involves a good 20-30 minute brisk walk followed by 10min journey on tram and she also does this alone. AIBU to think phone should have been given back at the end of the day and some kind of written punishment should have been given instead? if it had not of been for DU phone wouldn't of been collected at all!!!

Thanks all!

ripsishere Sun 20-Jan-13 15:49:19

It's the vendetta bit that's tickling me.
My DH is a teacher. I've lost count of the number of vendettas he has and the cost of an execution nowadays. Well, he has to sell all the phones he confiscates just to cover the paid for silence from the police.
Come back Op and tell us why there is a vendetta.

thegreylady Sun 20-Jan-13 15:51:11

DU = Domestic Underling grin

lljkk Sun 20-Jan-13 16:28:52

I am in physical pain trying to figure out what DU means (sigh). OP U R Cruel.

Was the teacher supposed to have bodily searched the girl to get the phone off her? How else did teacher get hold of it?

Mind boggles.

Cheeryble Sun 20-Jan-13 16:44:12

If it were my dd I'd tell her I'd collect the phone at a time convenient to me and not before. And that time would be not less than a week after the confiscation.

FelicityWasCold Sun 20-Jan-13 17:27:51

It's the vendetta bit that's tickling me.

I agree Ripi... Can you imagine the energy it takes, to hate families/kids for years.

It is such a horrible assertion that usually teens make about a teacher- as if you are the kind of person that takes against a student. How horrible a person would you need to be?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now