AIBU to think school should give phone back?

(80 Posts)
wondermammy Sun 20-Jan-13 00:15:39

Hi all, my first post on here but really wanted peoples opinions on this. MY DD1 is 15 and in transition year in secondary school which i think is year 10 or 11 in england? anyways, last week DD's phone was taken off her in class for "texting"(don't suspect this as teacher has a vengeance against our family due to previous members being in school and she sits at the front , shes not stupid!!),the phone was sent to vice principals office and couldn't be retrieved for 24hrs and had to be collected by a parent/guardian!! As both DH and i work from 9-5 we couldn't collect phone and had to ask DU to collect it.DD had to do the journey home without a phone which involves a good 20-30 minute brisk walk followed by 10min journey on tram and she also does this alone. AIBU to think phone should have been given back at the end of the day and some kind of written punishment should have been given instead? if it had not of been for DU phone wouldn't of been collected at all!!!

Thanks all!

ProtegeMoi Sun 20-Jan-13 00:54:17

You might have gathered YABU and a bit precious. No teen needs a phone, she broke the rules and so was punished, that's how it works at school. It won't kill her to be without a phone for a while.

SpottyBagOfTumble Sun 20-Jan-13 00:58:00

Tabu. She shouldn't have been texting, sorry.

OwlCatMouse Sun 20-Jan-13 00:59:56

Ooooohhh. thank you. Just couldn't work that one out.

I was thinking some sort of house slave, Dearest Underling, or something

wink

Haha owl I think you might be nearer the mark there grin

Gomez Sun 20-Jan-13 01:02:49

Chortle.

OwlCatMouse Sun 20-Jan-13 01:04:11

grin

OwlCatMouse Sun 20-Jan-13 01:05:14

I do have a disturbing image of Delores Umbridge in a submissive domestic role though. It's disturbing.

ilovesooty Sun 20-Jan-13 02:38:47

Your daughter asked for it. Tell her not to text in class and to behave herself in future.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 20-Jan-13 02:50:18

YABU.

Her phone clearly wasn't in her bag or her teacher wouldn't have known she had it with her,obviously.

She needs to take her punishment,which is deserved.

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 03:03:22

Really?

YABU

YABU for assuming your angel wasn't texting
YAprobablyBU for thinking there's a 'vengeance'
YABU for not supporting the school's mobile policy
YABU for thinking you need a phone for a short walk.

hth. smile

sashh Sun 20-Jan-13 04:24:41

Isn't that the policy of most schools?

AmIthatWintry Sun 20-Jan-13 04:35:24

Is this a joke?

JusticeCrab Sun 20-Jan-13 06:25:17

omg u ppl r scary. omg why r u giving the op such a hard time when all she is doin is lookin out 4 her own dd lyk any mum wud!! omg u wud think u wer all teachers or sumting!!!!!!11!!!one!.

WHAT. HANG ON! WHO'S BEEN LOGGED IN AS ME? Hang on, I've got to go sort this. I'll be back.

StupidFlanders Sun 20-Jan-13 06:34:21

That's the policy we have at my school and I always hoped that parents would side with the school. I'm always saying its hard to discipline when parents don't care.
I begin every lesson reminding students that if I see the phone it's gone.

startwig1982 Sun 20-Jan-13 06:48:42

I confiscate phones regardless of who the child is. Whether they are top set angels, or naughty troublemakers. If they are caught with it out then it is taken. That's the rule. I think you're being a bit precious and naive about your dd.

Morloth Sun 20-Jan-13 06:56:54

LOL

fatcuntroller Sun 20-Jan-13 07:08:58

She shouldnt have had the phone out in class. And you're being ridiculously precious about her walk home. Seriously??!

HecateWhoopass Sun 20-Jan-13 07:14:13

The phone record will determine whether or not she was texting in class.

I bet she was.

I seriously doubt a teacher decided to say she was messing with her phone in class if it was in her bag and she had her head down, doing her work.

come off it.

wigglesrock Sun 20-Jan-13 07:29:32

Forget the phone issue, I'm much more interested in the teacher with the vendetta!

Your daughter was probably better off without the phone on her brisk walk and tram journey - they're very distracting and if a 15 year old can't get herself home without the aid of her phone after school then she'll need her wits about her.

KaFayOLay Sun 20-Jan-13 07:32:26

YABU.

We have the same policy at the school I work at.

ChristmasJubilee Sun 20-Jan-13 07:55:40

Ds2 (15) doesn't have a mobile phone and he has always found his way home without it!

LoopsInHoops Sun 20-Jan-13 07:57:36

Your DD, Justice? grin

ll31 Sun 20-Jan-13 07:58:41

yabu... but tell us re vendetta...

Mosschopz Sun 20-Jan-13 08:02:04

Ahhh...teaching's a rough gig these days what with all the marking, pay freezes and vengeance we have to spend time unleashing on students and parents!

It's NOT personal, but this school, as does mine, takes a strong line on mobile phones, which distract from learning, attract thieves to and from school and jeopardise safeguarding policies.

She'll only be texting her mates during lesson times because she knows you'll back her up and not the school! Good luck with sorting out yours and her priorities.

CailinDana Sun 20-Jan-13 08:09:57

Doreen Umbrage!!! Hahahhaha grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now