ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

to be disappointed in my neighbours (snow)

(147 Posts)

So we have some snow. Not all that much but enough to make the pavements etc tricky. First thing this morning I cleared the front of our drive and salted it so I could take dd1 to work. Then I came back, took other dds sledging and then cleared the pavement from our house up to the corner. I did this stretch because otherwise it never gets done and as that side faces North it takes an age to melt and makes getting out in the morning (I cycle) a bit scary grin Fine, that's my effort to put in, not a problem. I also gritted it with our own personal grit and it's pretty good now. However a whole fine, not too cold day has passed and NONE of my neighbours has cleared so much as an inch otherwise. A family round the corner have done their bit and somebody else has cleared their drive and that's it. AIBU to be a bit annoyed about this. I know who lives in all the houses on our street. They are all able bodied. Two of my neighbours have watched me clearing the stuff and done nothing. Not even asked if they can borrow my shovel. There are lot of kids on the street and they've been rampaging playing all over meaning that lumps of ice etc have got chucked or kicked (looked like kicked tbh) on to the cleared path - meaning it had to be brushed again. The parents have done nothing to prevent this.

AIBU to feel it's a shame everybody hasn't pitched in? It would have been so easy to do this morning before it got trampled. Now of course it's packed down. I thought maybe I should do a bit more but tbh I'm quite tired now.

HTD, really! In all cases? Even if you were a single parent of newborn twins?
(sorry for extreme example but hopefully yswim)

ipswichwitch Sat 19-Jan-13 19:59:08

DH and our NDNs cleared the drives and most of the steep bank we have to drive up to get out so pizza man can get here
If it snows again tonight DH will go out and clear tomorrow so there will be a hell of a lot less snow to worry about Monday morning. There's been a few driving past and waving but not one of them came to help (bastards). More than happy to come past us - the long way round I might add- to take advantage of the nice clear road

Floggingmolly Sat 19-Jan-13 20:06:00

Does anyone remember the last snow we had, about 5 years ago?
Apparently if you clear the outside of your house once, and subsequently someone slips on it, they can sue.
Passersby have acquired a reasonable expectation that it will be snow free. If you hadn't cleared it at all, no such expectation could exist. Bizarre, though it sounds, it's been tested in court and the plaintiff won!

5 years ago?? Where do you live?
No snow last year, but the 3 preceding years were awful. We were snowed in for about a week when I was on mat leave with 3yo DD. The furthest I went was to a friend's dpwn the road

Bunbaker Sat 19-Jan-13 20:12:40

"but if it's slushy like ours then I don't see what the problem is."

When it freezes it becomes a massive problem. I live in a sort of cul de sac with 4 houses round it. The two boys over the road did a bit of clearing yesterday and I did some today. The girl opposite is heavily pregnant and I didn't want it to be a problem for her getting to the hospital (baby is due in 3 days). My next door neighbours who are fit and able, and the father of the two boys never clear snow away, yet we all share the same roadway into the cul de sac (which never gets a gritter)

Idlegirl83 Sat 19-Jan-13 20:25:50

Wish my neighbours would clear their pavements properly - they've made their paths lovely and clear but dumped all the snow in great big icy piles on the public pavements. Getting along the road now is tricky and it is safer to walk in the road. I know from previous years that their big piles of icy snow will take far longer to melt than if they'd just left well alone!
(yes, i've been holding in that rant all day since attempting to get to the local shop without falling over!)

Flogging - you will NOT be sued if you've done a proper job. If you chuck some boiling water over a path and expect it not to refreeze THEN you may get in some bother. Also if you leave huge piles of snow where people can fall over them as idle describes.

TheYamiOfYawn Sat 19-Jan-13 21:04:30

Did you post about this on Facebook earlier, Northernlurker? If so, I suspect I know you.

ProtegeMoi Sat 19-Jan-13 21:42:19

Reallytired Rock salt is just as dangerous

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1341137/Hundreds-dogs-cats-die-rock-salt-scattered-gritters-big-freeze.html

DoJo Sat 19-Jan-13 22:12:02

So you cleared the bits you wanted clear (your own drive and the bit where you will want to cycle) - is it not safe to assume that if nobody else has cleared any it's because they don't have any pressing need to clear their routes? It doesn't sound as though your clearing of the snow was entirely altruistic (although I'm sure it will be much appreciated) so why be annoyed that others aren't behaving entirely altruistically either?

nancy75 Sat 19-Jan-13 22:19:44

Northern, you can be proud of me! I did my drive and the pavement in front of my house, and outside my very elderly neighbors houses on either side and I put the snow on my garden not the road, I would like a gold star now please grin

TheFallenNinja Sat 19-Jan-13 22:20:59

The thing about missing the blitz spirit is that there is no longer a blitz.

Yabu. It's not your place or business to hold people to your own standards.

NotSoNervous Sat 19-Jan-13 22:21:54

Sorry but YABU and over reacting to feel shame that no one else has done it

hrrumph Sat 19-Jan-13 22:22:33

There doesn't seem much point in clearing it yet. There's another big blizzard on it's way here according to the weather forecast.

<stands in gold badge queue grin> I have done our driveway, next doors driveway and the pavements outside mine and next door either side.
I have 2 children under 3 and am 6 months pregnant too with SPD - do I get an extra large badge?! I am a huge snow lover but think if everyone just made a safe narrow walkway outside their houses , things would be a lot more pleasant for us all. My road is like something from the early 50's mind.......

mrscog Sat 19-Jan-13 22:40:23

I think clearing the pavement is a very kind community spirited thing to do but your own driveway/path is personal preference - to be honest I don't see the point in it for us so I just leave it. I am a virgin snow lover though smile

perceptionreality Sat 19-Jan-13 22:41:56

YABU - maybe they are ill or at work?

ginmakesitallok Sat 19-Jan-13 22:45:50

We don't have any snow just now, thank God! But yanbu op. A couple of years ago we had loads of snow for weeks. Most of the neighbours eventually got off their arses and cleared some of the snow/ice. We have a midwife living on the street and some older people, who all appreciated us making life a bit easier for each other.

Oh Northern - Bless your heart.

I think you are being a bit precious though.

<I started a thread for January Top Trumps and no one posted - so I shall be round kicking snow on your paths in the middle of the night>

theoriginalandbestrookie Sat 19-Jan-13 22:48:17

I rushed out and did ours this morning because every time it snows our neighbour does it so I felt it was our turn. DH then came out when it was partly done and took over in an infuriating superior way. Then the neighbour came out and inspected it and brushed it to within an inch of it's life. Then the snow mostly melted.

I can see your point OP but I don't think in the UK we have grasped the idea of clearing snow as a community action yet, give it a few more years of snowy winters and i'm sure we will catch on.

ProphetOfDoom Sat 19-Jan-13 22:54:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NannyPlumIsMyMum Sat 19-Jan-13 23:02:41

I haven't done any clearing.

I'm a ) too tired b) too busy c) trying to enjoy the snow with the children.

It all depends on the different roles and responsibilities families have.

For some families clearing snow is absolutely the last priority .

apostropheuse Sat 19-Jan-13 23:04:05

We don't have snow yet - well it snowed a little today, but really lightly. The ground is clear.

If I was on my own I couldn't go out and clear the snow because the cold air affects my lungs. Nobody would know that to look at me though. It can also be extremely dangerous to anyone with a heart condition, or even anyone who doesn't know they have one. It's well-known that there are more heart attacks in cold weather than any other time.

So, YABU to be annoyed at other people not clearing snow.

YANBU at clearing your own snow, because you obviously want to!

Personally I can't understand anyone wanting to cycle - whether in the snow or otherwise grin

gotthemoononastick Sat 19-Jan-13 23:07:10

Northern,you are a princess!we are old and do not want broken hips.My Dh clears our paths.Young male neighbour who does sweet/all had the audacity to warn him that he could be sued if someone slipped! Made a 12 inch path for us to the car...caveat is whether you CHOOSE to use it!

UniS Sat 19-Jan-13 23:12:48

the joy of living some where rural with no pavements.

Mind you thee is no road gritting either. The tricky corner up hill and out of our lane to a more major road was cleared yesterday by DH and a neighbour. a 3rd neighbour grits it on icy nights and mornings. Winter tyres are a good thing.

I took boy to school by sledge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now