To still be hurt by a friend by this silly thing?

(32 Posts)
LibraryMum8 Thu 17-Jan-13 00:13:21

This is my first posting asking if AIBU, so please go easy on me!

When my good friend had her second baby, as a gesture I made her a meal and took it to her house. It was Mexican, she and her family adore Mexican food. I made one for myself, and I made one for her and froze it (it froze well) because I wasn't seeing her for a few days. I thought she could pop it in the freezer for a nice dinner when she needed something.

1) They love Mexican. 2) They ate at our house all the time, they love our food 3) I'm a good cook she knew the meal was going to be good 4) We have a clean house. It wasn't cooked in an unclean house 5) I wasn't giving her old food. I made it just the day before, and she knew it. I didn't pull something out of my freezer and give it to her.

SO a week goes by, no mention of the meal. Two weeks, Three weeks, a month. SIX months goes by. I never mention it, but am mystified why she never baked that meal for them!

Finally, one of the next times I'm over (Over six months from when I got it), she rummages in her freezer and says, "I might as well give this back to you, we never ate it". I was mortified! So she give me back my (glass pan and all) and no other explanation.

I was too embarrassed/mortified/wondering what the hell was up to even comment. I just took the still foil wrapped up glass pan and threw it in my car. I never said I word.

AIBU? Is this weird? Why would she do this? Am I missing something?!!

BertieBotts Thu 17-Jan-13 11:52:30

I wouldn't find it rude if someone did this to me I don't think confused I wouldn't do it to someone else though.

<wonders if sense of rudeness is off>

I can understand you being a bit hurt but she probably just forgot about it. She probably stuck it in the freezer and has probably only just found it.

I buy things with the intentions of eating it sometime that week, only to find it months later under a pile of pea and fishfingers.

I am sure she didn't mean to offend you so don't waste anymore energy thinking about it. With a new baby, the last thing on her mind would have been her food menu for the week.

whois Thu 17-Jan-13 11:54:35

No don't get pissy about this, she is probably mortified she forgot about it.

New born baby, meal in the freezer, baby brain, totally forgets and comes across it months later...

I'm often thinking "wtf is THIS?!?" With rings in the freezer I've made and put in myself...

I wouldn't think it was rude, just that she forgot about it. Broken sleep can make you forget all sorts of things and casseroles in the freezer probably don't feature highly on the list even if she was touched that you made it for her.

You do sound like a lovely chum to do something so thoughtful. I would have eaten it. grin

Andro Thu 17-Jan-13 12:02:01

Her manner of dealing with the situation was certainly missing a few manners - although new baby and bemused friends do sometimes go together!

I

Really? I would not have given this a second thought!

Karoleann Thu 17-Jan-13 14:06:42

I don't think its a big deal either, she probably just remembered she had your dish and wanted to give it back whilst you were there.
I probably wouldn't have eaten something that someone else had given me either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now