Bloody reading journals. AIBU?

(105 Posts)
InNeatCognac Mon 14-Jan-13 11:12:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BackforGood Fri 18-Jan-13 00:19:29

You need to be consistent across the class
No you don't sausage - why would any child need to know what is going on in any other child's planner? confused. 3 out of the 4 teachers ds had in Junior school were confident enough in their own professional judgement to be able to understand that there was nothing to be gained - but potentially a lot to be lost - by making reading into a homework chore for him, when it was something he did extensively if he wasn't made to write in his planner. You don't set the same work for all the children in any other area,(I hope) so why in this ?
I agree reading aloud is a valuable skill to learn, I agree reading to different audiences is a valuable thing to learn, I agree it's good to discuss with your dc what they read - indeed, things you've read, as they get older, particularly - no-one's questioning that, it's then "recording" that you've done it that is a pain in the bum. Good parents do stuff all the time that helps their child's development... from the first games of 'copy me' when they are a few weeks old, all through their lives - talking to them, listening to them, pointing things out as you walk or drive places, taking them places, answering questions, indeed posing questions, shopping with them, cooking with them, letting them handle money, looking at clocks and time with them, going over times tables, etc.,etc.,etc., but there wouldn't be enough time in the day to write down each time they do learning at home, so why - if all is well and they are making good progess, do some schools feel this need to record if a parent has heard them read that day?

hrrumph Thu 17-Jan-13 23:34:06

My dd is a good reader but even though she reads things like Narnia there are loads of words she doesn't know the meaning of, she often misunderstands the point of a joke. I think it's still valuable to do a bit of reading with them just to help with the understanding. Reading records - we are now very bad at writing in them I have to confess. But we generally do a bit of reading together at bedtime.

DizzyHoneyBee Thu 17-Jan-13 22:52:12

Try writing in there that your child has been enjoying 'Fifty shades of grey' and see what happens grin

booksteensandmagazines Wed 16-Jan-13 11:40:16

Reading records are the bane of teachers lives too. But ultimately the idea is to create an atmosphere where reading is seen as a positive thing for children to do and that parents support it - hence the signing. Its frustrating when you know your child is reading and is a good reader but if a school has a policy about reading records then it applies to everyone equally.
As children grow up and become more independent in their reading then they can provide the comment that you write - in effect this shows not just that they are reading but that they are comprehending what they read and are able to comment on it which is equally important.
Reading aloud should be done by children of all ages in primary school - its a skill they should develop and is very different to reading quietly to themselves.
However life is busy and reality is you're not going to remember to sign every day, you're not going to find time to hear your child read aloud every day and you're not always going to have a clever comment to make. Don't take offence at the teacher's note - she's just doing her job and she has to show her head teacher she is doing her job - just do what you can and remain positive about reading in front of your children. However annoying it is, its much better to have a school that monitors reading than one that doesn't.

Jux Wed 16-Jan-13 08:12:34

DD was like your two, op. Her teacher wasn't worried about her reading but said boxes needed to be ticked. So I just made things up about dd's reading as I thought the most important thing was ensure reading didn't become a chore.

I did read to her though. While she was in the bath, every evening. I stopped when she was in Y8 (only last year!). It started off as 'leading by example) but in the end was a good bonding process for us. Harder for you with two children though.

SausageSmuggler Tue 15-Jan-13 23:18:08

Well if it's any consolation I have to mark 30 of the buggers. Yes we can tell who reads at home and who doesn't but you can't tell some children they have to get them signed and some don't. You need to be consistent across the class.

AmberSocks Tue 15-Jan-13 23:12:22

fucking schools.sigh.

Tgger Tue 15-Jan-13 23:06:35

I ask DS what to put now, and if he hasn't got anything of note to say it's "Read Well" grin.

Skinnywhippet Tue 15-Jan-13 22:46:24

Perhaps the children could write in them. 6 and 7 year olds at my school do that on occasion. It can be nice to see their opinion of the book-like a concise chapter/ book review. That way it has some educational value. You could still sign their comments.

happynewmind Tue 15-Jan-13 22:37:42

I also find it pointless, dds went missing and despite putting a note in to say can't find log but have read book wasn't swapped for 6 weeks until it turned up as I hadn't filled in the log.

The comments aren't read as I have queried stuff and no reply.

I hate school reading schemes full stop for older primary, the books we have are the most likely to batter any passion for reading and are mostly from the 60/70s although dd currently has one about Mel Bs rise to fame...

DeadTall Tue 15-Jan-13 22:29:37

YANBU. DS is an avid reader and we both hated the reading log he had in Y5 & Y6. He devours books and I have trouble finding the time to take him to the library enough times to keep him in books. He's top set in English and reading age 4 years above average. Having to fill in the page numbers, author and book name is a chore which puts him off reading. I couldn't constantly monitor which page he was on, he could never remember, we both got stressed and were very relieved when they disappeared in Year 7. However, DD says she will be getting one soon. hmm

TheOriginalSteamingNit Tue 15-Jan-13 22:07:14

YABU, just sign it. And I don't see anything particularly snide about what they wrote to you, to be honest

Xenia Tue 15-Jan-13 22:03:15

Comments are normally voluntary. A signature takes a few seconds. Most children forge them on a regular basis surely if the parent has chosen to ensure the child is in trouble at work by refusing to sign and what sort of parent would do that? Just get on and sign the thing. If they are insisting on a comment put - v good.

I think there is a principle here of supporting the school even if you don't internally agree with it.....

I also think it is a good reminder to check they have done their homework, check their bag for notes, touch base with them so it is not really that big a chore surely?

Practice - noun - the practice
Practise - verb - to practise

Make sure they learn that. Even adults get it wrong.

Startail Tue 15-Jan-13 20:31:01

Now at secondary my DDS have me sign their HW diaries months in advance.
There tutor never turns over, so it doesn't matter, but the get moaned at if it isn't done.

I certainly don't look at them. I couldn't read DD1's writing if I did.

ledkr Tue 15-Jan-13 20:28:17

I've just unpacked the latest pieces of homework from dds bag. We were at it till late last night, learning spellings in the car in the way to school and she still has a project to complete by feb. thus us a child who isn't that great on her tables but all the other stuff leaves us little time to practice!

Llareggub Tue 15-Jan-13 20:09:30

I am the first to moan about pointless bureaucracy but as the mother of a yr1 boy who struggles with reading, I like the discipline of the reading diary as a way for us to sit down together and discuss his reading. I use it to praise him and record his progress rather than a means of communicating with the teacher. My son is ridiculously opposed to reading - it is the first time in his life he has not been able to do something and he responds really well to the comments in his book, particularly from the teacher.

TyrannosaurusBex Tue 15-Jan-13 19:40:29

YANBU, My dds are keen and fluent readers but those books just makes reading a chore and I never fill them in any more. My HEd eldest loves books even more now that she's free to just enjoy them, and the teachers have conceded that dd2 obviously reads plenty and don't give me any grief any more.

SminkoPinko Tue 15-Jan-13 18:56:53

I think it's utterly hideous how much administrative crap parents and teachers have to do these days. Tick box approach which sucks the joy out of reading and life! Does it teach children to read? I doubt it. I bet the "reading journal filled in - good reader" correlation noted by some teachers here is in no way causative but merely reflects the kids who are reading at home with conscientious parents already. When did all this reading journal filled in by parents come in? My parents never had to do any of this shit

CruCru Tue 15-Jan-13 16:08:46

I remember homework diaries. My Mum signed every page for the next year and my form tutor was really unimpressed. It was pointless; I always did my homework.

morethanpotatoprints Tue 15-Jan-13 15:50:54

I didn't used to sign any and also refused to sign a home school agreement. It is not up to the teacher, you are allowed to decline all of it if you wish. They may be the school policy, but you don't have to make them yours. If your child loses out because of this I would and did complain.

However, don't listen to me as I now H.ed and find such a relief from the bureaucracy associated with the teaching at a school.

ledkr Tue 15-Jan-13 15:35:41

My dd is year 6 and enjoys reading but always has something better to do.I find it failry easy to get her to curl up with a book after school but she doesnt always enjoy the recording that shes read etc. I think it can spoil the whole reading experience for them and turn it into a bit of a chore.

Sometimes I just wish theyd let them enjoy the book.

DS needs me to sign that he's read 3 x a week in order for him to get a credit and privilege time on Friday afternoon. We vaguely try to remember which nights he may have read, but the 3 signatures are sometimes slightly randomly distributed over the weekly diary !

DD is at secondary school and doing really well both generally and in terms of organising herself to do her homework with only a few general prompts from me, you know, "Have you got any homework tonight MidiJuggling ?"
The school still expects and asks us to sign her planner each week. She came close to getting a detention the other day because it hadn't been signed for a few weeks blush So, I signed several weeks all together, including over the XMas hols ! I really don't know what those signatures are meant to represent !!
But if it keeps them happy ! And DD out of detention !

Just be glad I reckon that your children are as independent as they are, either with reading or homework or whatever. I'm glad mine don't have any serious issues about school or learning, and that I don't have to be on their case all the time. (Except for getting dressed, eating breakfast on time, and packing their bags - does that ever end ? grin) I guess from the school's point of view they are just trying to get some home-school interaction going. But it does seem a little pointless sometimes, so No, YANBU !

AndABigBirdInaPearTree Tue 15-Jan-13 13:31:07

It doesn't work that way in my family. I was totally crap at signing anything and reading has always been each kid's most advanced skill at school. I also read very little to DS#1 when tiny because he hated it. Ds once told me he read a lot because it is very boring at our house and we didn't allow hardly any TV or computer games compared to other families LOL.

I have no problem filling in dd2's record, she is still working through the book bands, fair enough, plus we just have to say whether she has read it, and can add comments if we want to. Dd1 (yr3) we have to put how long each night she has read to us plus comments. She does still read with us, and it is useful, especially as her current book is quite challenging with 19c Southern American language. I'm sure that she wouldn't understand bits if we didn't discuss it. I just don't feel the need to fill it in in detail every night so do 5 or 6 nights in a row when I think about it .

Catriona100 Tue 15-Jan-13 12:51:22

I just spent a whole morning listening to a whole class of year 2 children read and I noticed a very strong correlation between good reading (expression, comprehension etc) and the frequency with which their parents read with them according to the reading journals.

I can't really see the point once the child can read (say in years 4/5/6) but I think it must be almost vital in KS1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now