16 kids and counting...

(379 Posts)
thatisall Fri 11-Jan-13 21:47:38

I genuinely don't know what I think, have no strong opinions about their lifestyle, life choices etc etc.....my first thoughts were that it was just too many but they seem very nice and happy lol

Am I being unreasonable to want to chat about the show on here anyway?

No I'm not a jour no trying to get a MN quote before someone suggests it....

....just sat at home alone thinking 16....? 16!? :-O

Fellowship I giggled at your comment. Reading the thread title I thought Fuck that. I couldn't imagine anything worse. I live in a mad house with only 3 (and I often muddle up their names grin)

pigletpower Sat 12-Jan-13 17:01:39

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

eggs11 Sat 12-Jan-13 17:04:56

I think she's totally selfish. I understand it's her choice to have a lot of children, but her enjoyment from having kids was seeing them all lined up in a row. My enjoyment from my one child is interacting with him and helping him learn, generally enjoying him as a person. There is no way she can enjoy and know her kids on the same level as someone who has 1-5max. I mean she got pregnant when her youngest was 2months old? That is so unfair on a baby not even one to have to share already!!!!

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 12-Jan-13 17:05:20

I reckon once you get past, say, 8 or 9 kids it doesn't really matter whether you have 10, 15 or 20, in that you have already given up on being able to have a normal family car, peace and quiet, one-to-one time with your kids etc etc

I did wonder whether there was some deep rooted issue driving them to create a huge family of siblings, given the fact both parents were adopted, but they did seem a more grounded family than an awful lot of others

(I do have a moral issue with quite so many children,though, the planet can't cope!)

Isityouorme Sat 12-Jan-13 17:05:52

Is this the American programme? Then you are watching an old series as it is now called 19 and counting!!!!!

Just spat out my tea at wizard sleeve gringringringringringringringringrin

RobinSparkles Sat 12-Jan-13 17:07:44

I loved that program! I liked the last one they did, 15 and Counting where they looked at other families but preferred this one because it just focused on them.

I think they seem like a lovely family. They seem so organised and hardworking.

Fair play to them. I find two difficult at times but they make it look easy!

I have to admit that I giggled at the Grandad forgetting one of them in the beginning.

RobinSparkles Sat 12-Jan-13 17:09:00

Not the American Program Isit. It's a program on Channel 4 last night about a family from Morecambe.

soverylucky Sat 12-Jan-13 17:09:07

You can't give 16 kids the same amount of attention as you can as 4, 5, 6 or whatever. I say this as someone who came from a big family. I was loved, happy and well cared for. I did well at school etc but I would have dearly loved to have had more one to one time with my parents.

Isit no, not the American family. Think they're past 19 now

eggs11 Sat 12-Jan-13 17:10:18

do you think they are that organised though? It was very staged. In the bowling they all took of their shoes one by one for a good camera shot, they all left the house one by one, like a montage everytime they did something, all in turns. I don't believe it.

Viviennemary Sat 12-Jan-13 17:13:02

I wouldn't watch it on principle. Having 16 children these days is massively irresponsible and selfish. That's my opinion.

LividDil Sat 12-Jan-13 17:14:06

I didn't get the impression that the children were that happy - lively and energetic and cute maybe - but happy? I'm thinking especially of the 12 year old boy.

orlakielylover Sat 12-Jan-13 17:14:24

No, this is the UK programme.

The Duggars show is 19 kids and counting

expatinscotland Sat 12-Jan-13 17:16:39

I think having that many kids is irresponsible and didn't watch the show because I think glorifiying having that many kids and having a baby when you're a teenager irresponsible, too.

5madthings Sat 12-Jan-13 17:18:49

I thought they looked like a lovely happy, lots if love and the kids seem Happy. I loved the bit where she was trying to get the baby to turn and they were all copying her and when dad was doing baking with some of the little ones. They seemed very laid back but I guess you would gave to be and routine seemed key. She has/has a blog where she talks about family life,

The elder son has left home and one if the elder gurlks us planning to go to uni next year.

Much nicer than the duggars who get the kids to do all the work and who have 'interesting' discipline methods and awful views on women's place and education.

5madthings Sat 12-Jan-13 17:21:02

I don't think it glorified it, it showed it was hard work and the 'irresponsible' teen that had a baby was working right up to the end of her preg and she said it wasn't planned or ideal.

expatinscotland Sat 12-Jan-13 17:23:23

Giving them shows, air time, that's glorifying it. And yes, accidents happen, but it's not ideal to have a baby as a teenager and giving it press doesn't help.

Oodhousekeeping Sat 12-Jan-13 17:24:53

Re financing the house- have you seen prices in morecambe? grin

lockets Sat 12-Jan-13 17:25:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lockets Sat 12-Jan-13 17:28:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Catchingmockingbirds Sat 12-Jan-13 17:28:40

I felt a bit sad for one of the little boys as his parents missed his birthday as they were in hospital. But I thought it was really sweet that they all snuck out of their rooms and into each others to share beds and be together. One bed had 5 children sleeping in it with lots of empty beds left in other rooms grin

One of my friends is from a big family like this, they've been on one of these programmes too. She hated it growing up and was always embarrassed whenever anyone mentioned it. The family put on a lot for the cameras but when they were alone the older ones looked after the younger children a lot. Her mum is also quite obsessed with little newborns and she told me that once a child gets to about 2yrs she loses interest and then wants another tiny baby again.

5madthings Sat 12-Jan-13 17:30:21

Well blame the TV producers the expat they make it and decide what to show. There are far worse prig like jersey shore or whatever the fuck its called and a program about holidaying in kavis all about unprotected sex and itrespinsubke drinking but its all tens having a 'good time'-

This family are hard working and living an ordinary life tbh.

They come across as a lovely family.

StuckOnARollercoaster Sat 12-Jan-13 17:33:02

My judgey pants were well hoiked up when I saw the trailer and didn't intend to watch it last night - but there was bugger else on and ended up watching it and I was fascinated!

They came across as a lovely family - and for me it was nice to see that they weren't relying on the state to fund their lifestyle choices completely. Clearly their bakery must be doing well as he was still working there and the older daughter also worked there.

There house was a combination of chaotic, but you could tell it was clean and there was a level of order in there as to how they deal with life, the school run and getting everyone fed.

Yes the older kids don't get much one-to-one from each parent but given that there was so much love in that house, I'm not sure how essential that is to become a well rounded person if you are surrounded by so much family love. Sure they will argue and there will be tensions, but maybe I am naive to think that they are dealing with them well.

There were some really lovely moments captured on film (the kids baking with dad, the sister changing a siblings nappy, the kids copying mum trying to get the baby to turn and the sock with the big hole in it!) and I felt really uplifted at the end of the programme. Good luck to the family for the future. (Although I hope they don't get too much bigger and start chasing 20 because it seems like a round number and will get them in the record books...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now