Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be a bit miffed that no one has remembered our anniversary?

(96 Posts)
phantomhairpuller Wed 09-Jan-13 17:33:48

We only got married 3 years ago! Out of 100 odd guests, only 2 have wished us happy anniversary!! None of our parents have mentioned it, nor the best man/bridesmaids.
DH thinks I'm being daft but I can't help but feel a bit miffed hmm

Trills Thu 10-Jan-13 09:30:32

YABU

Your anniversary is only special to you, not to anyone else.

firesidechat Thu 10-Jan-13 09:28:21

The only card I would expect to get is the one from my husband. Even my grown up children wouldn't remember this date and I don't expect them to. I'm afraid to say that your anniversary is completely irrelevant to everyone else.

YABU.

This is my very first YABU (or YANBU for that matter). Very exciting!

thegreylady Wed 09-Jan-13 23:40:55

Gosh dh and I struggle to remember our anniversary! I know dd's because she married on her birthday but not any of our other dc and I wouldn't dream of cards after the first :-) It is our silver soon and we will have a do for that-if we remember!

city1984 Wed 09-Jan-13 22:56:41

I do understan op to a cerain extent. My mum always sent a card but sadly passed away in 2011. In laws normally sent cards but didn't this time. Sis also upset me as she made a big drama out of us forgetting to send cards (our mum had just died) but never sends cards herself. Sorry being self indulgent. Incidently my chief bridesmaid never got in touch when my mum died do Wouldn't expect anniversary card.

WileywithSageStuffing Wed 09-Jan-13 22:03:20

YABU. Give it another 10 years and you'll be grateful if your DH remembers!!!

duffybeatmetoit Wed 09-Jan-13 21:43:54

Yabu - it's you and your dh's anniversary not a general cause for celebration.

No one has ever got us an anniversary card. Once the free food and wine was used up, their lives moved on. grin

Iamsparklyknickers Wed 09-Jan-13 21:35:15

You want a card - have a party. You'll get pressies then too wink

Get planning and you could start a trend for five year anniversary parties! Maybe that's why Seal and his ex renewed their vows every year <ponders>

Happy anniversary smile

DrinkFeckArseGirls Wed 09-Jan-13 20:42:22

Definitely a weirdo. wink

melliebobs Wed 09-Jan-13 20:40:35

As long as your dh remembered I don't think it really matters!

DrinkFeckArseGirls Wed 09-Jan-13 20:39:17

YABU. One of my closest and oldest friends got married, erm few years ago, hmmm, sometime in June. I even flew back to my country esp. fir that. No idea now when it was and I'm not expected to. confused

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Wed 09-Jan-13 20:32:22

oh some people have more than two anniversaries
some people have 6 month anniversaries too confused - not quite sure how that works...

acceptableinthe80s Wed 09-Jan-13 20:30:41

I only send a card to my parents but they deserve it because they've been happily married for 43 years. 3 years is nothing. I know couples who have two anniversaries,the day they got married and the day they met!

Please don't put it on fb, i find the whole wishing your Dh/Dw a happy anniversary on fb a bit odd. I had a friend waxing lyrical about her amazing dh on my news feed today, really just tell your partner no need to announce it to the rest of the world and it makes me a little nauseus.

YABU.

My mum always sends us an anniversary card and if I am honest I think it is odd. I think it is for the couple to mark, not others.

FredFredGeorge Wed 09-Jan-13 20:25:23

My MIL sent happy anniversary wishes on our first, it was the only way that my DP noticed the day. I can't understand why anyone would care about my anniversary, or I someone elses, it's not important.

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Wed 09-Jan-13 20:24:58

yes you're wierd grin
I'd even find texts/FB messages wierd
unless I'd say, said "oh we're going to X for our anniversary" and on bumping into that person on our return they said "did you have a nice anniversary trip?" - that's okay grin, but people actually remembering our anniversary unpromted I'd find strange!

WidowWadman Wed 09-Jan-13 20:21:13

My husband and I forgot our first anniversary, and only remembered when a card from his grandmother arrived. I was actually stunned that anybody would send a card.

You're weird.

WiseKneeHair Wed 09-Jan-13 20:19:08

I'm sorry, but YABU.
Wedding anniversaries are for you and your DH, no one else.
I find it weird that I get a card from MIL, I would freak out if anyone's else sent me a card.
Do you send anniversary cards to anyone apart from your DH?

Sanjifair Wed 09-Jan-13 20:17:25

YABU. The first anniversary, it would be nice if people remembered. After that it would be weird to get a card, unless its from very close family!

phantomhairpuller Wed 09-Jan-13 20:15:15

Actually, I do remember people's anniversarys. Don't send a card mind you, unless its a big one, but usually a text or fb message. Maybe that's the problem, I'm a weirdo in the minority and expect everyone else to be like me wink

MrsMelons Wed 09-Jan-13 20:12:22

Headfirst grin

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Wed 09-Jan-13 20:11:57

"Op, nobody cares about your anniversary, but be reassured they don't care about anybodies , you're not being singled out"

nicely put! I don't do anyones but my own, not even people who I was bridesmaid for

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Wed 09-Jan-13 20:09:53

YABU I never expect any, to me it's a couples thing so like getting a valentines card from someone who is not your partner

we get about 2 anniversary cards from immediate family and I even find that odd TBH, we never send them to anyone! even family!

the only time I'd expect one is for say a ruby anniversary where a party is thrown or similar

maddening Wed 09-Jan-13 20:06:51

I wouldn't expect anyone to remember - maybe my own parents at a push

chicaguapa Wed 09-Jan-13 20:06:28

I always send a card on the first anniversary when I've been to the wedding. But I wouldn't send them after that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now