to think £25 for babysitting 3 children until 3am on New Years Day is disgustingly stingy.

(241 Posts)
TaggieCampbellBlack Tue 01-Jan-13 16:03:09

DD and her friend. Both 14.
Parents said they'd be back shortly after midnight. Finally rolled in at 3am.

DD and friend slept over but were expecting them home before 3.

Stingy bastards handed over £25 this morning.

angry

And also more than a little surprised. That isn't the done thing really is it? Getting in 3 hours late.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 01-Jan-13 16:14:07

£25 from 8 til midnight would seem ok, just over £6 per hour. Maybe if they were asleep after that the parents didn't think they paid for the sleeping part. I'm assuming the parents wanted one babysitter but were happy for a friend to tag along for company.

How many kids were they sitting for?

akaemmafrost Tue 01-Jan-13 16:15:10

That is really bad.

I used to get £20 for NYE just for me over 20 years ago.

catgirl1976geesealaying Tue 01-Jan-13 16:15:15

Stingy

£25 each would have been more like it IMO

ravenAK Tue 01-Jan-13 16:15:48

For comparison, we pay our usual babysitter - admittedly a final year medical student - £60 if we're rolling in at silly o'clock & she's staying over. £70 if she has our mates' 2 dc as well as our 3!

We've also used a friend's teenage dd - she got £40 & a lift home.

So yes, £25 on NYE is v stingy IMO. Although I'd only expect to pay one sitter - ours sometimes brings a mate to keep her company, which is fine, but it's up to them how & if they split the fee.

Yes - agree absolutely that they shouldn't be paying twice because one girl chose to take her friend with her.

So basically, they were paid £25 for spending the evening with a friend - and they could have gone to bed, so didn't HAVE to stay up until 3? How old are the children and what time did they go to bed?

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 01-Jan-13 16:16:09

I wouldn't pay a 14yo the same as trained nursery staff. Nor would I pay both if the 14yo decided to bring a friend.

But £25 sounds low for nye around her I would expect to pay £40 for nye and it would be a given that you wouldn't be back before 2ish so the parents were daft to think they would be back just after 12.

WeAreEternal Tue 01-Jan-13 16:17:20

I pay our babysitter (she's 16) £5 per hour. If I came back late I would always pay extra.

That is the going rate around here apparently.

Meglet Tue 01-Jan-13 16:19:08

I realise you can't exactly compare nursery staff with teenagers, but it was to give a rough idea of payment.

Lueji Tue 01-Jan-13 16:19:13

£25 for 7 hours is much less than minimum wage.

And I don't see why teenagers should be paid less for the same amount of work.
Ok if just sitting around when children are asleep.

Still, the children could easily have awoken or been ill.

And the parents should definitely have given something extra for being over 2 hours late.
The girls could he still gone out to party at 12:30.

How did they get home?

5madthings Tue 01-Jan-13 16:19:17

£25 for a teen to babysit for nye is fine. Why were there two teens? If the patents requested bith of them.then they should pay both of them. If the teens chose to both go to.keep each other company then that was theit choice and they cant both expect to be paid imo.

cathers Tue 01-Jan-13 16:22:06

Ridiculously tight.
I pay £5 per hour for a 14 yr old to babysit, so from 8-3am would be be £35 minimum and i probably would round it up to £40 as it was NYE. But, I would not pay for the 2 girls - either one takes £40 or they half it! Their choice.

Earlybird Tue 01-Jan-13 16:22:35

Oh - I didn't understand that the dd/her friend slept over at the home of the dc.

OP - what do you think would have been reasonable payment?

I disagree - I don't think baby sitting aged 14 has anything to do with minimum wage.

If people are really paying up to £70 to a babysitter, how on earth do you ever afford to go out? That's insane!

DoIgetastickerforthat Tue 01-Jan-13 16:23:13

Stingy - mind you I once got totally shafted as a teenager. I would babysit for three different couples who all knew each other but one night 2 of the couples were let down so I agreed to have all 8 kids at one house and to sleep over. Adults rolled in after 3am and do you know how much they paid me? A FIVER... in total.

Safe to say I never babysat for any of them again.

SantasENormaSnob Tue 01-Jan-13 16:23:16

I wouldn't pay twice because the babysitter took a friend.

Catsdontcare Tue 01-Jan-13 16:23:36

Like others have said who's idea to have two girls babysitting? If the parents requested to sitters they should have paid more if it was the girls idea to go together then they have to accept sharing the profits.

TheMonster Tue 01-Jan-13 16:23:49

We're the parents expecting two girls?

TheMonster Tue 01-Jan-13 16:24:14

*were (bloody iPad autocorrect)

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 01-Jan-13 16:24:51

Sorry, you said in the title there were three kids blush

We pay our 17 year old neighbour £5 per hour and our nursery worker double that. TBH I'm not sure I would expect a new year's eve premium for a 14 year old as I wouldn't expect them to be giving up a party/pub trip like someone older. I'd probably give extra for goodwill anyway and I definitely wouldn't be 3 hours late, that's just awful.

TaggieCampbellBlack Tue 01-Jan-13 16:25:24

They didn't expect double for both of them being there.

I'd have thought about £30 for a normal pre-midnight babysitting. This being NY and til 3am a smidgen more was called for.

She's planning a price list for next time.

blueemerald Tue 01-Jan-13 16:25:51

Minimum wage under 18 is £3.86. If the more was meant for one that would be £3.57 which is okish if the kids were in bed. I do think it is stingy as a harsh early lesson for your daughter about laying down your terms before you start.

NatashaBee Tue 01-Jan-13 16:26:37

Very stingy. My cousin did babysitting last year as she was going to be at home with her own kids anyway on NYE. She had the kIds stay over at hers all night and charged 60 quid a child, people were biting her arm off to take her up on it.

KittyFane1 Tue 01-Jan-13 16:28:18

£3.57 per hour? I would say £5.00 per hour is reasonable for a 14 year old.
So £35.00. so yes, a bit stingy.
If it was your DD's friend's job YABU to expect them to be paid separately.

I babysat for £1.00 an hour in 1990 shock !

pictish Tue 01-Jan-13 16:28:26

I agree Remus.

We are talking about teens getting paid to watch telly while the kids are in bed here. They are not 'earning' - they are doing a wee job cash in hand...but way to go to teach your kids to expect something for nothing. £25 is well sufficient.

If you are expected to pay out £50 plus before you've even left the house, then most of us can forget going out at all. Most of us don't have that sort of money for teens watching tv and texting their friends.

Thank God for teens with realistic expectations.

BelleDameSousMistletoe Tue 01-Jan-13 16:28:55

Outrageous, frankly. And taking advantage, IMO. Even if they didn't want to pay two sitters surely a minimum of £50 for NYE? I pay sitters £10 per hour or an agreed rate. I'd expect to pay well over £50 for NYE really though.

Good plan re price list!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now