To hate the Daily Mail and all it stands for

(87 Posts)
kim147 Sat 22-Dec-12 13:58:51

That's it really. Just so much hatred in the paper and especially some of its columnists.

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Sat 22-Dec-12 14:05:52

Then don't read it?

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sat 22-Dec-12 14:08:23

YABU to actually hate it. That's a bit extreme. But YANBU to dislike it intensely.

You have the option of not reading it though.

iwantavuvezela Sat 22-Dec-12 14:08:27

Do you have a link smile

inhibernation Sat 22-Dec-12 14:08:31

I hate it too but I do like You magazine and there's my ethical dilemma.......

kim147 Sat 22-Dec-12 14:12:39

Believe you me - I do not read it. But I hear links about it and what it stands for.

I really hate it. The way it treats and judges people.

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Sat 22-Dec-12 14:14:05

Well. Okay. I guess if you want to waste your energy hating something you only hear about, that's your business.

Sounds exhausting and like a waste of time to me.

Enjoy your hating, I guess.

I really don't understand why people get so het up on here about the DM in particular, it's a trashy tabloid like the Sun & the Mirror, if you want a bit of proper news read something else, if you want a bit of gossip or opinionated reporting then read one of the others. Why froth about them? grin

Each to his/her own.

Nancy66 Sat 22-Dec-12 14:17:58

MN's obsession with the DM is just plain bizarre.

It is mentioned on here hundreds of times a day. It is linked to more than any other site - I bet you anything that the DM is linked to a hundred times more than the second most linked to site.

Nearly every thread I read mentions the DM. Anything written by the likes of Sam Brick or Liz Jones will attract dozens of separate threads and thousands of postings.

Conclusion: MN loves the DM

Oh and everyone who says they don't look at the website is lying.

BerryChristmas Sat 22-Dec-12 14:21:32

Most people who 'hate' things just avoid them and talking about them. So I suggest that's what you do !

kim147 Sat 22-Dec-12 14:21:33

I hate things that preach hate. I think the DM does that. I will read articles that people have linked to and I will condemn the hatred it seeks to promote about people who don't conform to how it thinks people ought to behave.

Or maybe I should just ignore it and not challenge its opinions?

Dromedary Sat 22-Dec-12 14:24:59

I agree with you. It's scary that it has millions of readers. I think it's safe to assume it influences some of them, and so has a detrimental effect on the society we live in, eg encouraging hatred of "benefits scroungers" and immigrants.

Purple2012 Sat 22-Dec-12 14:26:29

I hate some of their views, but they also have some interesting stories, especially at the weekends.

People often link to it with an apology for it being a DM link. I think more people read it than admit to it.

I read it - often. I'm not ashamed of reading it. I am adult enough to have my own opinions and just because I read something that differs to my opinion it wont make my change my opinion.

All newspapers have agendas. I dont like their anti police or anti immigrant agenda. I still find some of their stories and articles interesting and informative.

I also don't care what newspaper others read. Read the daily sport for all I care. I wouldn't read it but I wouldn't make a big deal out of someone who does.

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Sat 22-Dec-12 14:26:59

But you're not challenging it's opinions as you haven't actually said what you are doing other than sitting there hating it.

And if you don't actually read it, how can you challenge it? Based on what your second cousin once removed or some stranger on MN said?

If you're going to challenge it, read it and object to what it says intelligently. Not randomly.

kinkyfuckery Sat 22-Dec-12 14:28:33

I hate things that preach hate.

hmm

Pontouf Sat 22-Dec-12 14:29:39

I hate it too. I hate Sam Brick's and Liz Jones' columns. I hate the misogyny, the bitchiness, the poor research, the sensationalism and the gossip masquerading as news. But I hate this about pretty much all the tabloids. I wouldn't have them in my house. My father is a journalist and my husband is a journalist. Both of them write with wit, integrity and a passion for news. It makes me terribly sad to think they are lumped in with the kind of gutter press writers that contribute to these other publications.

I choose not to read these papers and I have to say I do judge those who do a little bit.

kim147 Sat 22-Dec-12 14:30:29

Right now a teacher who came out as transgendered has the Daily Mail (and other reporters) camped out on her door, ringing her up, hassling people for photos, hassling children and parents, spouting hateful columns in its paper - all because she wanted to be herself.

The media have been hassling her since the news broke. And teeelf believe me I have challenged that paper.

AViewfromtheFridge Sat 22-Dec-12 14:30:33

The thing is, many of the people who read it dont see it as a trashy tabloid like The Sun - they think it's a "proper" paper and take its views as gospel, which is the worrying thing.

higgle Sat 22-Dec-12 14:31:42

I think you are rising to their bait if you "hate" them. A great many of their articles are coontroversial on purpose. Last week there was an article about how horrible a police officer had been to interupt a prep school nativity play to ask parents to move cars that were blocking a doctor's surgery - cue lots of comments about how the police officer was only doing his job and parents should not have parked there. I find it an interesting and worthwhile exercise to read the DM and The Guardian each day to get a balanced perspective.

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Sat 22-Dec-12 14:33:44

How have you challenged it? By posting this thread? DM couldn't care less what you say about them on here or anywhere else.

Viviennemary Sat 22-Dec-12 14:34:12

YANBU if it annoys you very much. I feel the same about the Sun. I used to like the Mail for the Health articles. Probably very inaccurate but still quite interesting! And the fashion stuff is OK. But it has gone very wooden spoon stirring lately. As for those two caricatures Samantha Brick and Liz Jones I don't think they're even worthy of an opinion.

kim147 Sat 22-Dec-12 14:35:03

Invasion of Privacy - Press Complaints Commission - happy, teeelf

thebody Sat 22-Dec-12 14:37:05

I think it's 'hateful' and far more scary that anyone wants to stop free speech, personal views and debate.

We are supposed to he a democracy so all views and opinions are valid as long as no laws are broken.

I don't understand this anti daily mail rants, you must read it op to gate it so why do you? I don't read any newspapers..

kim147 Sat 22-Dec-12 14:37:58

And the media - especially certain papers - don't give a shit about real people and their lives. They don't care about how their actions affect real people who just want to lead their lives.

LadyBeagleBaublesandBells Sat 22-Dec-12 14:38:59

Horrid paper.
I don't read it, but do follow links sometimes and it never fails to surprise me how low it can go.
It does open up some very interesting discussions on MN thoughgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now