Just sent dd upstairs with a note

(44 Posts)
DoingitOnTheRoofTopWithSanta Thu 13-Dec-12 00:34:17

Dh sent dd (23 months) down stairs for a bottle for ds. I sent her back with a note and a bottle. I feel like we have turned a corner

Am I being unreasonable to now to use dd as a messenger pigeon whenever suits me?

When she starts bringing wine and chocolate that is when you know having kids was the right decision grin

CoolaYuleA Thu 13-Dec-12 00:39:49

I send my 14 month old from the kitchen door to DH in the living room with her cereal bars/snack of choice for him to open and check she doesn't plaster the furniture with them supervise the eating of whilst I am pottering. She thinks it's fabulous fun... "Go take this to Daddy...." cue big smile and off she trots.

YANBU at all.

DoingitOnTheRoofTopWithSanta Thu 13-Dec-12 00:42:47

AIBU to think dd is rubbish for having NEVER brought me wine or chocolates?

monsterchild Thu 13-Dec-12 00:44:33

Isn't this why people have children in the first place? When I was young this also included changing the channel on the tv, as we didn't have a remote. And fetching glasses of beer water.

It's what kids do.

DoingitOnTheRoofTopWithSanta Thu 13-Dec-12 00:46:53

I realise all her potential now monster I used to see university in her future, now I just imagine her and ds as tiny butlers.

I have a 3 year and he loves doing stuff that I ask. He loves passing me the remote when I leave it on the coffee table.

I think I ask him to do too much though as now when he does something I say thank you he replies "no problem mum" grin it sounds a bit passive aggressive tbh

ChippingInAWinterWonderland Thu 13-Dec-12 00:55:16

I simply wonder it has taken you this long to get her into service?

Still, wont be too long before she can make you a brew

DoingitOnTheRoofTopWithSanta Thu 13-Dec-12 01:01:59

Yeah, I've clearly been a bit lax with her training, she has been walking for nearly a year! What a waste!

monsterchild Thu 13-Dec-12 01:04:48

Doing if you really want her to succeed at college, you know that she'll need focus, determination and lots of spending money. How else to achieve that than to train her for food service early on? It has the added bonus of keeping her too busy to find the boys!

SantaIAmSoFuckingRock Thu 13-Dec-12 01:10:05

"AIBU to think dd is rubbish for having NEVER brought me wine or chocolates? "

grin

EmpressOfTheNorthPole Thu 13-Dec-12 01:12:33

Oh, I remember when DD was like that.....

Ask her to do something now (12) and she'll want to know if she's getting paid!

Enjoy it while you can.

CollieEyeOfNewt Thu 13-Dec-12 01:16:14

Oh gawd, the potential I have here...

DD is 2, I can send her on message carrying errands to both DH and DS.
DS is 5 and in reception. It would help his reading if I was to send notes via his sister grin he'd adore it!!

Kytti Thu 13-Dec-12 02:21:37

dd is 7 and has been fetching and carrying for about 3 years now. ds is 5 and has just been 'promoted' to drying-up and clearing the table.

Isn't that why we have children?

lololololol grin

Impatientwino Thu 13-Dec-12 02:35:08

DS is 20 weeks so not mobile yet but would IBU to start showing him flash cards of wine bottles, glasses and chocs so he knows what to look for in a few short months? grin

trinitybleu Thu 13-Dec-12 07:15:52

"Go to Daddy and say cuppa / bins / biscuits" works quite well at that age too.

Now I say "Help me clean / find all the washing up and I'll give you 20p" and she usually shouts hurray and races for the mop ... The cleaner leaves her notes congratulating her on her tidy room which helps too.

Also, train them to bring home a present for Mummy from the supermarket and ensure they know which brand of chocolate you prefer.

[Grin]

CollieEyeOfNewt Thu 13-Dec-12 14:16:52

Both mine used to say "mummy cup of tea" whenever they saw a mug.

My DS has been taught what my favourite flowers are and often suggests to DH that they buy some for me when they go to the supermarket although he once came home with a potted conifer, which does look ok next to our red front door grin

Chelvis Thu 13-Dec-12 14:19:31

My mum said she only had me so I could make her cuppas. She then had to have DSis because my puny child hands were too small to carry the biscuits too. My mum is my parenting hero probably not a good thing

LondonElfInFestiveCheerBoots Thu 13-Dec-12 17:38:19

No, that is definitely right. Just train her in 'not dropping', DP broke his toe when 3 dropping his dad's beer on it, MIL was unimpressed and broke up the racket.

The first thing I will be teaching my DCs is 'How to make mummy a coffee', they can figure out that reading yoke at school grin

scaevola Thu 13-Dec-12 17:40:20

If you train them well, they learn to predict needs, mix and bring a G&T (thanks, DS2!)

NatashaBee Thu 13-Dec-12 17:40:42

Has anyone successfully trained their toddler to operate a corkscrew? smile

LtXmasEve Thu 13-Dec-12 17:42:56

We trained DD to 'go get daddy a beer' when she was still in her walker blush. It was her party trick for a very long time.

(never managed to teach her to mix me a vodka though)

TheCortanaThatStoleChristmas Thu 13-Dec-12 18:25:19

DS is 8. He has fetched me tissues lemon drinks and asked if I need anything all week. grin

AnyaKnowIt Thu 13-Dec-12 18:28:55

My 22 month old has been trained loves to load the washing machine, will get the vac out and hoover, loads and empty the dishwasher grin

Never thought about the note!

AnyaKnowIt Thu 13-Dec-12 18:32:35

''Has anyone successfully trained their toddler to operate a corkscrew?''

Nah, all screw caps here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now