To think that if you give someone an old iPhone they shouldn't expect the charger as well?

(46 Posts)
LightHousekeeping Wed 12-Dec-12 17:42:11

I feel awful. The lady who cleans for me once a week rang me and asked if she could have my old iPhone that she must've noticed on the shelve for the past six months. I told her that the screen was cracked and she still wanted it. I must stress that there is a language barrier. She told me she would clean for free today. It's usually £15. So I deleted every thing and returned it to factory settings. Today I gave her it and she asked me for the charger. All I have is the wire but not the plug. I told her that she could plug it into her laptop (which she needs to do for iTunes anyway) and she was fine with that. Then we put her SIM card in and the phone said that it needs to have a matching SIM card. I assume it means orange as that's my phone company. She got arsey about that when I told her she will have to buy another SIM card. I've just got a note saying "please, please, please give me the charger" what shall I do go out and buy her a charger or, ask for the phone back next week and give her the £15?

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Thu 13-Dec-12 08:30:53

eBay is your friend if you want to get her a charger but I don't think you should. To not give her it I think will pee her off and do you want an annoyed person in your home?

Fairylea Thu 13-Dec-12 09:05:07

Sounds a bit suspicious to me.... maybe she's planning to sell it on eBay? Chargers alone go for a reasonable amount. Even with a cracked screen I would bet you would get about fifty pounds for the phone. People are always buying them to repair.

Tell her you want it back. I am betting she will suddenly be fine not having the charger !

I would sack her.

You've said that someone who is paid to do a job for you is
a) rubbish at it
b) ignorant of your requests
c) snooping around your home to ask for things at a fraction of the price you could see them for
d) ungrateful when they are given to her.

It seems you've lost sight of the employer/employee relationship- she isn't your mate, she's your cleaner. Tell her you want the phone back, you are unhappy with her attitude to you as her employer, and give her notice.

I'd be worried what else she's been looking through and possibly helping herself to.

Get it back and pay her £15.

I've just sold iPhone 3g on eBay for £90.

Well I've just searched on Ebay for competed listings of 'iphone cracked screen' and they go for between 40 and 199 quid.

Its simple imho. No way should you buy a charger - she accepted it in this condition. She has 2 choices. Give it back to you and you'll pay her 15. Our accept it as it is and stop going on about it.

And definitely get another cleaner.

Lifegoeson Thu 13-Dec-12 12:41:13

I've just sold my iPhone on ebay - not working - for £120, and had no charger either!

Def new cleaner required, she is a cheeky moo.

MrsMushroom Thu 13-Dec-12 13:01:37

What LRD said. it was an old phone....you should have GIVEN it. Not swapped it for free cleaning!!

LadyBeagleBaublesandBells Thu 13-Dec-12 13:06:32

If it had been lying around for months unused, I'd have just given her the thing.

LRDtheFeministDude Thu 13-Dec-12 13:16:15

Sorry, but MrsM, that wasn't actually what I was saying. I was just saying that it seems to me odd you would swap someone a broken phone for something else then grudge them the charger. I do acknowledge I don't know a huge amount about iphones (does your cleaner?), but if you'd not used it or mended it for so long, I think you are being a little odd to be then very concerned about her asking for the charger.

Surely she can't use it if she can't charge it, and you could only use the charger if you got a new one anyway?

MrsReiver Thu 13-Dec-12 13:17:54

But the OP doesn't have the charger, and the phone can be charged via the USB plug the OP has given the cleaner with the phone.

Onemoreforgoodmeasure Thu 13-Dec-12 13:19:47

I think it's weird for her to ask for something of yours. And she uses your stuff? That's not ok.

You can sell an old iphone for £100.

LRDtheFeministDude Thu 13-Dec-12 13:20:37

Ok, sorry, I honestly didn't get that. I assumed she was going out to buy the charger because she had parts of it but not the whole thing.

I begin to see why the cleaner gets confused if she's as un-techno-savvy as me. blush

As you were.

Jins Thu 13-Dec-12 13:23:24

Just to clarify the 'charger' that comes with the phone is a standard plug that you put the cable into. The cable is the bit you need. It will charge perfectly well through the laptop or she could pick up a plug for a couple of quid if she's desperate.

OP has not passed on a phone that can't be charged and yes the charger can be used for something else.

MrsReiver Thu 13-Dec-12 13:23:28

Re-reading, I've just realised the OP hasn't actually said she's given the cleaner the USB cable, but she's said it can be charged through the laptop, so I assume she has confused

dementedmumof6 Thu 13-Dec-12 13:23:36

It's not unusal not 2 get the plug part , as i've just bought my daughter an ipod for xmas from apple themselves and all i got was the cable , the instructions say to charge via the usb port , which you can also do with the phone

MrsReiver Thu 13-Dec-12 13:25:22

Jins is it just a standard micro or mini usb cable? I haven't had anything by apple for aaaaaages and back then it had an apple-specific connection.

Jins Thu 13-Dec-12 13:28:27

Standard usb at one end and apple connection at the other end. You can get sync cables at the pound shop. Car chargers too.

They will plug into any usb socket - I've charged mine off a tv once (but it has to be a particular sort of tv)

Jins Thu 13-Dec-12 13:29:18

But yes the OP has passed on the cable.

MrsReiver Thu 13-Dec-12 13:30:01

Ah okay, thanks - I was going to say I have loads of spare micro and mini usb cables knocking about, I could've posted one for the cleaner grin

I charge my kindle through the telly, very handy.

picketywick Thu 13-Dec-12 13:34:07

No, they should not Lighthouse. But it gave me a laugh.

My farmer brother had a neighbour who would walk round pointing at things and sayinjg "Do you really need that?" It was a form of begging

Jins Thu 13-Dec-12 13:34:15

cable

official apple plug

better option than apple's

OP has passed on the cable. There's no need to have a plug

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now