To not like this Idea of a new multicultural Britain

(790 Posts)
monkeyfarm Wed 12-Dec-12 10:55:42

I suspect this probably won't go down too well but I'm just being honest as I'm interested to see if I'm the only one who feels this way?
I hate how things are changing, how I can be in a store feel like I'm in eastern europe, why are we one of the only countries that do this? why can't we take a leaf out of the book of Australia and open our doors to people who have something to contribute and not just all and sundry?
Am I on my own in feeling this way?

SnowProbs Wed 12-Dec-12 11:34:10

Eliza - I did point out that Australia is, imo, rabidly racist. Point is, as a sparsely populated island in that part of the world, there isnt much choice but to do business and trade with SE Asia....or for Aussies to come here and 'take our jobs'. Ha!

There is no country on earth that can afford to 'close its borders' or get overly uppity about 'forriners'.

Perhaps, rather than worrying about multiculturalism in Britain, the OP should be sending her children off to learn Mandarin or Hindi, or investing in some extra maths tuition or something, because as a nation, we are breeding generations of unskilled, piss-poor-at-languages young people that simply wont be able to compete with those from ountries with 'emerging' economies... Thats a real worry.

DDiggler Wed 12-Dec-12 11:35:05

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Snorbs Wed 12-Dec-12 11:35:24

I agree with you OP. Why, where I live in St Albans I know for a fact that there are people from Swansea, Lincoln, Bromley, Liverpool, Milton Keynes, Falmouth, Newcastle and loads of other places.

You can be in a shop here and the weegie accents can be so thick you could think you were in Scotland!!! The local shops even sell their special food down here. Haggis, I think they call it. I think they should all go back to the towns they came from unless they can prove that they're going to benefit St Albans by moving here.

...or are we only talking about moving between countries, and not between towns? If so then what, when it boils down to it, is the difference?

My DH is an immigrant. He also speaks fluent English as do all his friends and their wives. He will happily discuss the weather, politics and football.

My children are bilingual and native level English speakers (because they were born here). Current interests include Football, Dr Who, Harry Potter and Mike the Knight I'm sure they could find something to talk to the other children in the playground about and would do so in English.

HullyEastergully Wed 12-Dec-12 11:36:32

Furoshika - I didn't say they achieved that state in a happy and loving way...

Burma is taking a leaf from that book too.

FrothyOM Wed 12-Dec-12 11:36:44

Why do you say they don't contribute? Foreigners are not entitled to benefits.

biscuit And a big fat hmm fae at your user name.

catgirl1976geesealaying Wed 12-Dec-12 11:38:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Fecklessdizzy Wed 12-Dec-12 11:38:28

Humanity didn't evolve here so we're all immigrants! hmm Don't make me get my Dane Axe, now ... ( channelling berserk scandinavian forebearers emoticon )

sieglinde Wed 12-Dec-12 11:38:58

Snowprobs, Australia isn't really sparsely populated; everyone is crammed into the small habitable bits. Yes, Australians can be really racist, but it's also multicultural, especially in the cities, and it's multiracial too. Much like here.

happyinherts Wed 12-Dec-12 11:39:10

madonnawhore - Life moves on whether we like it or not and as such yes we do have to embrace that.

No - not scared by change and things will never go back to the way it was. I do think communities were friendlier years ago and that is a combination of many things not just the fact that there are so many languages spoken in one street that people cant all communicate together properly. It's sad and I do not wish for any my comments to be construed as racism where I'm just stating facts.

Life moves on, not always for the good and things suffer but of course we all have to live side by side and make the best of things. I still don't overwhelmingly see that the OP was deliberately being racist as I'm not. I don't feel threatened by anyone. I admire the work ethic of a lot of minority sections of the community - its just that I think the OP thinks change IS difficult when you're an original English speaker and 'newcomer's who haven't seen the changing trends wouldn't know how she feels.

SantaWearsGreen Wed 12-Dec-12 11:39:44

silvercup Wed 12-Dec-12 11:41:56

NothingIsAsBadAsItSeems Wed 12-Dec-12 11:46:00

It would be nice though if everyone who decided to live in the UK learned to speak English since it would make life easier...

It really shouldn't take 10 minutes for one person to pay for their petrol but of course if you don't understand what the person on the tills is saying and they in turn haven't a clue what you are trying to say everything will take longer. And will most likely involve pointing and gesturing... It took 15 minutes to pay for fuel this morning thanks to language barriers and the eventual help of someone who spoke both languages shock

Wouldn't it be nice if all the ex-pats learnt the language of the country they chose to live in.

Historical Mumsnet
Ye Olde AIBU

Danegeld - why do we have to subsidize our European neighbours? AIBU

Why can't the Normans learn our language and integrate properly?

The local market is full of Jutes WWYD?

If it wasn't for multiculturism, we wouldn't have Chinese, Italian, Indian foods. We wouldn't have Ikea or apple. We wouldn't have maserati, Nissan or Volkswagen. We wouldn't have mo Farah (that's right isn't it? Didn't he emigrate here as a child and get citizenship or am I way off the mark??)
We would have Mary portas, queen of shops...

catgirl1976geesealaying Wed 12-Dec-12 11:48:31

Patriotism is the virtue of the viscious

cory Wed 12-Dec-12 11:49:14

So what about those many countries in Africa and Asia which have been multilingual for a long time, happyinherts? Are they less inherently friendly? Can't children manage to play in the playground? Monolingualism is not actually the norm in most of the world.

ifso Wed 12-Dec-12 11:50:05

and 15 minutes patience was clearly something you just couldnt muster NothingIsAsBad...

Jins Wed 12-Dec-12 11:50:53

Well I like Britain being multicultural. I'd prefer all our home grown BNP racist shitheads to fuck off somewhere else.

sieglinde Wed 12-Dec-12 11:51:16

And if we are net importers form the Eu, then we should make ourselves more competitive as a manufacturer. IMHO, immigrants are likely to help with that.

Grimma, and others, glad some of you know about the First Ally (Poland). I was in Warsaw in August, and lots of Poles just assume no-one from England will be aware of what they did. And besides, I adore kielbasa.

ifso Wed 12-Dec-12 11:52:20

OP do you order takeaways at weekends? Do you use products made in China?
You are then full of double standards id you only realised the error of your post saying immigrants have no place in UK, or maybe you were trying to say something else? But like someone said upthread, you can stay behind your net curtains for your future years while society moves on, grows and provides a life exchange for other humans from different towns and countries. Embrace it! Dont be so afraid!

And in terms of the language barrier, I know someone who taught English in her native country, she speaks fluent English with a slight accent and she still gets abuse from people saying they don't understand her!

Furoshika Wed 12-Dec-12 11:53:07

Maybe it's because I'm quite happy in my own company, but I genuinely don't mind if someone doesn't speak English and doesn't want to talk to me.
Admittedly you need English for most business transactions. Who is giving someone a job in a petrol station if they can't do the job? Where does the fault really lie?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now