To not like this Idea of a new multicultural Britain

(790 Posts)
monkeyfarm Wed 12-Dec-12 10:55:42

I suspect this probably won't go down too well but I'm just being honest as I'm interested to see if I'm the only one who feels this way?
I hate how things are changing, how I can be in a store feel like I'm in eastern europe, why are we one of the only countries that do this? why can't we take a leaf out of the book of Australia and open our doors to people who have something to contribute and not just all and sundry?
Am I on my own in feeling this way?

pointysettia Fri 21-Dec-12 20:18:49

mumzy then that should be investigated, but there is still a heck of a lot of UKIP-type sentiment around and there is no excuse for it.

Eliza600 Sat 22-Dec-12 00:47:34

Here's another reason. And yes, it's a Daily Mail link but so what? Fact is, TB was almost eradicated and is now rife again, due to immigration.

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2251748/Craig-White-Student-21-died-suffering-crippling-headaches-TUBERCULOSIS.html

Funny because the article seems to focus on the change to the BCG programme. There are now young people travelling abroad to countries where TB is endemic who have no protection against TB at all.

DolomitesDonkey Sun 23-Dec-12 07:19:45

I'm in my late-30s and didn't get the BCG done due to moving schools and missing it. My doctors didn't see any need to put me on an individual programme feeling I was at very low risk. That was 20 years ago of course - it does worry me now though, getting on a tube in London iykwim.

chibi Sun 23-Dec-12 07:47:16

it is interesting to come here from a country that accepts a large number of immigrants itself, and which has a very different narrative around immigration- immigrants are ' newcomers', not ' people who come to drain the system and destroy our way of life'

for all that people claim that you are not allowed to criticise immigration in the uk, to me over the last 10 years, it seems a fairly constant stream (from politicians and the media, not random people out and about) of negativity about how immigrants are wrecking everything.

though i am a citizen here, i have internalised the message- i know i will never belong, and would never say i am british, i can just imagine the raised eyebrows!

TrazzleMISTLEtoes Sun 23-Dec-12 09:16:24

Oh Chibi you're welcome with me.

BegoniaBampot Sun 23-Dec-12 10:35:51

Chiba, were you born here though? If I immigrated , I don't think I would ever take the nationality of my new home other than for the practicalities of citizen ship or whatever. My children if they were born in that country would decide for themselves what nationality they identified with. My kids were born in England, up to them if they feel English or their parents nationality. They are British at least.

TrazzleMISTLEtoes Sun 23-Dec-12 10:51:04

Begonia but it depends where you were born. If, say, you are from Egypt then naturalising would mean you can travel to certain other countries more easily.

It also means that if you also renounce your other citizenship or come from a country that doesn't allow dual nationality, like Zimbabwe, you can't be deported from the UK.

And it's meant to help you feel like you belong.

BegoniaBampot Sun 23-Dec-12 11:01:11

I understand that but I think I would always feel my original nationality in my head and in my heart even if I officially renounced it or whatever you do unless I had been a young child when we moved. I can understand why people feel conflicted when they have a background of one nationality or culture but are born and brought up in another.

nailak Sun 23-Dec-12 11:47:27

chiba brings up an important point, the internalization of the message. It is not only citizens who have moved here as an adult, but people who moved here as babies or were born here also do this.

The very fact that you view people as different and separate makes them separate themselves.

This is what I am trying to challenge here. People say they only use British shops, but if the shops are owned by someone who was born here whose parents werent? But still you would look at them and identify them as different and not British.

Many women wearing hijab were born here. But you would look at them and say they are not British. Therefore they stay in areas they feel accepted. Where they can work and no one raises an eyebrow.

I am sure if you go to Westfield there are many women working there wearing hijab!

BegoniaBampot Sun 23-Dec-12 12:08:57

Who is 'you'? Is that to me or a general you?

nailak Sun 23-Dec-12 12:17:10

just general to whoever in the thread mentioned that stuff, not you in particular, just vocalising how it feels.

crescentmoon Sun 23-Dec-12 12:21:31

iv always felt proud to say im british but not english. iv met brown muslims like me who say 'im scottish' or 'im welsh'. iv met proud 'im irish' muslims but iv never met a muslim born in england who says 'im english'. 'im british' yes but not 'im english'. it is that internalisation of the message.

crescentmoon Sun 23-Dec-12 12:23:38

i think muslimsfrom england, amongst ourselves, are more likely to be proud of the city they are from. so 'im a london girl', 'im a scouser', im a brummie or whatever

BegoniaBampot Sun 23-Dec-12 14:21:50

If I remember only one person brought up the British shop thing and no-one agreed with them. If I meet someone and they were born here, educated here and have a local accent and identify as British or English, Scottish etc - then yeas I automatically accept them as British as the next person. But is it really that surprising that some folk find it harder. I grew up in a small practically all white town. Never saw someone in Hijab till I was older and moved away. Now I have friends who wear hijab who were born here I don't think much of it - I'm used to it. but If I was honest, I just don't think it's that surprising or wrong for people to still see this kind of thing as 'other' - to wonder if that person is originally from here. I think things have changed so much in the UK and you can't expect it all to happen overnight and for everyone to adapt as easily as others - this doesn't have to make you racist.

I've lived in countries where due to my 'differences' I wasn't really accepted, it was presumed I wasn't from there, had my children stared at, photographed and actually grabbed - I didn't think there was really anything surprising or wrong with this (other than the chasing and the grabbing).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now