Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not like this Idea of a new multicultural Britain

(790 Posts)
monkeyfarm Wed 12-Dec-12 10:55:42

I suspect this probably won't go down too well but I'm just being honest as I'm interested to see if I'm the only one who feels this way?
I hate how things are changing, how I can be in a store feel like I'm in eastern europe, why are we one of the only countries that do this? why can't we take a leaf out of the book of Australia and open our doors to people who have something to contribute and not just all and sundry?
Am I on my own in feeling this way?

Mardy

Maybe she also uses "some of my best friends are..."

OP - tell you what, you leave and my forrin DH can stay, how does that sound?

It sounds as though you are saying that Eastern Europeons have nothing to contribute, so your opening statements don't make sense when comparing the UK to Australia.

We are in the EU so some movement is always going to happen.

If you were knowledgable about EU Law and Directives and where arguing that whilst such harsh benefit cuts are happening and we are in an economic crisis, then we should be using the available "opt out" leglislation, which other countries are using.

Our government (and the previous) chose not to use what was available to all EU Members, legal and fair, during tough economic times.

Which many educated/knowledgable people would like explanantions for.

WTF is going on here at the moment? Are we being invaded again? <tongue practically in ear>

ReallyTired Wed 12-Dec-12 11:07:27

I am sure you are not alone, but multiculturalism is here to stay.

Multiculturalism has benefits as well as a downside. We have fab doctors, outstanding computer programmers, [any other professional] that another country has paid for the costs of training. There are plenty of young people to financially support our aging population.

However it is extremely tough for thick people to get jobs as they have to compete with immigrants. Our children have to work harder to be the best. Being white british is no longer enough to secure a job.

I do think that uncontrolled immigration is an issue. Not so much that its bad for the UK, but the poor countries of Europe really suffer because they experience a major brain drain. Prehaps the european community needs to find ways of making countries like Poland prosperous so that their inhabitants want to stay in Poland/ Hungry etc.

The internet is creating a more level playing field for education around the world. Socially mobility is spreading to the poorer countries. The hard working bright people in poor countries are the winners, lazy think people in the UK are the losers. The affect is similar to when universal state education was introduced the the UK in victorian times.

iamapushymum Wed 12-Dec-12 11:08:18

'we are part of the EU which brings huge economic benefits to the UK in terms of trade.'

I am not doubting you, I am genuinely interested as to what?

EIizaDay Wed 12-Dec-12 11:08:27

I know exactly what you mean monkey and I agree (and I am married to a forriner) but it's just not fashionable to say it smile. I like multicultural however I do think it has gone too far in the UK.

Just to clarify my statement applies to "Econmic migration", we should never stop refugee's, under any circumstances.

SantaJaxx Wed 12-Dec-12 11:09:43

I think you may find that this "new" multicultural Britain is that new at all! We've been multicultural for a very long time.

SantaJaxx Wed 12-Dec-12 11:10:09

*isn't

PoppyAmex Wed 12-Dec-12 11:10:20

I lived in Sydney's city centre for 8 years and most shopkeepers/hairdressers/waiters didn't speak English fluently.

Anyway, OP I would like your views on the British immigrants - should they be sent packing from other countries? We have thousands living in South Portugal and since they retired there they don't even pay tax. Shall we get rid?

JassyRadlett yes I do mean it's outside of Greece. I can't imagine it's more Greek than Greece. But the Greekness if very very visible. And also other ethnic groups. It resembles more of London than most of the UK. I'm in Hampshire and it feels very white here. I'm from Auckland and it's much more multicultural. The university has a sushi bar, a noodle shop, etc when I went there in the 90s.

Furoshika Wed 12-Dec-12 11:10:26

New multicultural Britain?
Er.......

Celts...Romans...Vikings...Angles, Saxons and Jutes...Normans...Flemings...fast forward a bit...
Italians...Poles...Chinese...Jamaicans...Ugandans...Bangladeshis...Pakistanis...lots more of lots more. All British. We have been multicultural for millennia.

You just don't like them as not yer own kind. It's got fuck all to do with multiculturalism.

SnowProbs Wed 12-Dec-12 11:10:29

I find it sad that you feel this way, OP. it is such a miserable, fearful, backward-looking attitude to have.

Have you been to Australia, by the way? Melbourne is extremely multicultural; Sydney is teeming with Japanese and SE Asians. Last time I was in Sydney I was pleasantly surprised by how many white Aussies I heard speaking Japanese at business lunches.

Then, of course, there is the other side of good old Oz - rabid racism and the near annihilation of the Aborigines.

Ho hum.

Hopefully you are a dying breed....its either that, or the rise of Nazism again in Europe. Your call.

squeakytoy Wed 12-Dec-12 11:11:46

Not really a "new" idea is it.. just that we are now more welcoming of different cultures than in the past.

Surely it is better for people to get along and mix together than all be in their own little areas segregated from each other.

maillotjaune Wed 12-Dec-12 11:12:43

Can we have a new topic (which I can hide) for this kind of thread so I don't get sucked into another one?

Perhaps everyone should go back to where they came from. This means that my children will have to live on a ferry continuously crossing the Irish Sea. Or we'll all end up in the same square mile of desert in Africa. How far should we take it, do you think? <ponders the ridiculousness of people>

seeker Wed 12-Dec-12 11:12:52

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Osmiornica Wed 12-Dec-12 11:13:38

What is with all these racist posts all of a sudden?

perceptionInaPearTree Wed 12-Dec-12 11:13:44

OP, I think you need to reflect upon why you feel this way. I like a more multicultural UK - I find it more interesting.

Why do you feel threatened by Eastern Europeans?

'*we are part of the EU which brings huge economic benefits to the UK in terms of trade*
I am not doubting you, I am genuinely interested as to what?

It isn't just trade. There is a "pooling" of money, which we benefit in terms of investment.

For every £1, the UK pays to the EU, we get at least £1.64, in return.

We have had investment in housing, health and regeneration.

If you realise that alot of the raising of living standards for many comes from the EU, then you understand what being in the EU has done for all of us.

There are continual reports and directives,in regards to poverty and Human Rights, that make life for all in the UK, a lot better.

All of the information in on the Web, you can just google the EU and click on the links.

DolomitesDonkey Wed 12-Dec-12 11:14:51

YANBU to harbour any feelings that you do. Your opinions are as valid as those of anyone else. It's a shame you're being called racists when you're not expressing racism - it's a ridiculous state of affairs to be in.

You are not alone in your feelings at all.

Not many of us wish to embrace the third world nor the middle ages. Idealogy on paper is all it is.

SolomanDaisy Wed 12-Dec-12 11:15:28

I love the fact that it's an Idea, with a capital I. Like a really big new Idea those loony lefties have just come up with together with their non-contributing eastern European chums. As opposed to a reality that's existed for centuries.

perceptionInaPearTree Wed 12-Dec-12 11:15:58

Also, when I was a child it was the Asian community who had to put up with the most racism. Now, because Polish are the newest immigrants they are being targeted instead and everyone has accepted the Asian community.

It doesn't make any sense - you must realise that racism needs to be challenged.

JassyRadlett Wed 12-Dec-12 11:16:05

Is it worth popping into this debate the statistic that in 2010, 26% of the Australian population was born outside Australia?

Furoshika Wed 12-Dec-12 11:17:02

If I had to go back where I came from, it would be here, as far back as I know. I'm still not a racist.
It's so bloody pathetic. We have a country run by idiots whose whole agenda is to line the pockets of big business (some of whom are white and British) at YOUR expense and a sizeable number of you think your woes are down to there being a few too many Poles coming over here and having babies or whatever.
No bloody imagination.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now