To not like this Idea of a new multicultural Britain

(790 Posts)
monkeyfarm Wed 12-Dec-12 10:55:42

I suspect this probably won't go down too well but I'm just being honest as I'm interested to see if I'm the only one who feels this way?
I hate how things are changing, how I can be in a store feel like I'm in eastern europe, why are we one of the only countries that do this? why can't we take a leaf out of the book of Australia and open our doors to people who have something to contribute and not just all and sundry?
Am I on my own in feeling this way?

Yep - you are on your own feeling this way.

HTH

I wish it was just you but sadly, racist and intolerant bigots are a vocal minority.

If only they realised that British tolerance is one of our most loved characteristics round the world.

PickledInAPearTree Wed 12-Dec-12 10:57:16

No your not on your own sadly give the bnp a call.

Fakebook Wed 12-Dec-12 10:57:47

Probably yes. This is the world we live in now. Everyone is mixing up and the world is smaller than it was say 20 years ago thanks to the Internet. There are plenty of places in the uk where there are all things British. YABU.

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Wed 12-Dec-12 10:58:21

Yes.

I would really rather keep my husband and children.

Ta though.

Australia?

You need to look up how they've treated the ORIGINAL natives of their country pet.

It's beyond cuntishness.

fairylightsandtinsel Wed 12-Dec-12 10:59:26

Not least because we are part of the EU which brings huge economic benefits to the UK in terms of trade. Part of membership involves signing up to allow entry to other EU nationals. Don't go into a Polish supermarket if you don't want to, but basically YABU.

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Wed 12-Dec-12 10:59:32

yes, Laurie. Good point.

And america.

MardyBra Wed 12-Dec-12 11:00:35

Oh dear.

Have you been to Australia? At least in Sydney and Melbourne, it's a lot less white than the UK.

ZebraInHiding Wed 12-Dec-12 11:01:40

hmm

weegiemum Wed 12-Dec-12 11:01:56

I'm delighted to be living in a multicultural society. It makes life so much more interesting!

I'm married to an immigrant <hides yet another twattish thread>

MardyBra Wed 12-Dec-12 11:02:51

Are you one of those people who start sentences with "I'm not racist but..." OP?

If your beef is against white immigrants, then maybe it'll enlighten you to know that Melbourne is one of the largest greek communities in the world.

Rindercella Wed 12-Dec-12 11:04:42

I feel so fortunate that I rejoice in the diversity this country now has. Think back to the Olympics, how great that all those British athletes did so incredibly well, despite their gender, colour or religion. I loved that and it made me feel incredibly proud of my country - that people had the same opportunities to excel.

Open your heart to change and diversity Monkey. I promise, you will feel a better person for it.

PoppyAmex Wed 12-Dec-12 11:04:57

Tell you what, I'll go back home but my country will get rid of all the British immigrants in return.

Except you probably don't call them "immigrants", but "ex-pats".

JassyRadlett Wed 12-Dec-12 11:05:26

Have any of the people who bang on about wanting to be like Australia actually spent any time in a residential part of an Australian city?

Because trust me, Sydney, Melbourne and even a good whack of Brisbane are a great deal more multicultural than most parts of the UK (London, as ever, excepted).

Also, OP, why do you assume in your post that those who are of a different race to you don't have something to contribute to society? Do only white Anglophones make an economic or social contribution?

You know that time when the British went and raped and pillaged in Australia and America and forced all of the natives from their burning homes? Ha ha ha!

Now they're strict on immigration.

Funny old world, innit?

MerryChristmasEverybody Wed 12-Dec-12 11:05:46

I agree 100% with you, OP.

What Rindercella said.

Whats with all the racism on here atm?

JassyRadlett Wed 12-Dec-12 11:06:40

OneLittle - I think Melbourne has the largest Greek population outside Athens? I've always loved that statistic. And the culture that comes with it.

It's not NEW!
Britain has always been multicultural.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now