TO WANT MATHEMATICAL SONGS?

(82 Posts)
babytrasher Sun 09-Dec-12 21:46:22

Not really anything unreasonable, but the quickest / surest way to tap the collective genius of MN...

I am Head of Maths in a school with a tradition of teachers giving each other CDs of favourite music at Xmas. I am really keen to put together a "Maths Music" CD; and also to some of the students who would appreciate the concept. So far I have come up with about 25 mins towards a full 80 min CD:

Don MacLean: American Pi,

Katie Melua: 9.0 x 10 (to the power of) 6 Bicycles.

Nena: 10 Squared - 1 Squared Red Balloons (Does anyone have a copy of, or a link to, the original & much darker German version, 99 LuftBallon )

Lou Bega: Mambo No 5.

The Band: The Shape I'm In.

The Carter Family: The Circle Shall Be Unbroken.

There are quite a lot of songs with numbers in the title, but I am particularly looking for mathematical concepts or significant numbers.

If I can fill a CD, I will post the final playlist along with acknowledgements of the suggesters.

Many biscuit s

sashh Mon 10-Dec-12 05:13:45

plan 9 channel 7 by the Dammned

3 minute song - tim minchin

Circle - Soouxie and the Banshees

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Mon 10-Dec-12 07:36:59

The Logical Song, Scooter.

nickelbabylyinginamanger Mon 10-Dec-12 12:56:50

i had a quick look at some of my albums this morning (only a couple of i would have been late for work)

The Blessing - Delta Rain
Blur - No Distance left to run
Deacon Blue - one hundred things
David Bowie - Zeroes (that's only a mathematical concept, see)

A bit obscure perhaps but I remember reading trying to read a book about the mathematical basis within bach's music. It was too complicated for my tiny brain but this website has a bit of explanation (transformation geometry) that even my tiny, now baby frazzled, brain can understand. smile

HermioneE Mon 10-Dec-12 20:11:36

I'm in awe of how many suggestions are already here, but if you did need more, might want to try posting this on the TES maths forum.
community.tes.co.uk/forums/25.aspx

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 10-Dec-12 20:29:30

5,4,3,2,1 - manfred mann
Galaxy song - monty python

Laurie Anderson: Let x = x
XTC: Senses working overtime

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now