Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To have filmed my ds1s preschool nativity play even though

(283 Posts)
Nooneelseisallowedafergus Sat 08-Dec-12 13:58:40

We were expressly told no filming.

I did zoom in on just him ( as much as was possible ) and only filmed a few short clips, not the whole event.

I felt I would have really regretted not having captured the memory, and my son loves watching himself on film, and has already enjoyed watching the clips and singing along to the songs.

And I just don't see how a video of fully clothed children would be satisfying viewing for a peadophile. With this vein of thought surely we should start making our children wear burkas.

WeAreSix Sat 08-Dec-12 14:18:30

YABU

A friend has just adopted a child who is at high risk of being taken by the birth family. The child was abused and neglected and if snatched the consequences would be unthinkable.

The rules are there to protect children like this. You filming, even if its zoomed in on your child, will encourage others to do the same. It takes one small clip on any social networking site to potentially identify a child who could be at risk.

Sparklingbrook Sat 08-Dec-12 14:18:57

Did you not make the rules Worra? grin

EnjoyResponsibly Sat 08-Dec-12 14:19:44

How are you enjoying the play if you're fart arsing around with your covert recording though?

WorraLorraTurkey Sat 08-Dec-12 14:19:53

Perhaps I did in my sleep Sparkling grin

McChristmasPants2012 Sat 08-Dec-12 14:19:54

My DS's school makes it clear to parents that if they don't want their child to be photographed or filmed, they shouldn't let them take part.

I find that sad that a child is not being able to join in a play because of adults. Perhaps they should do the play and not invite parents to watch

AnyFuckerForAMincePie Sat 08-Dec-12 14:19:56

Worra, what a shame that (only?) two kids got to miss the opportunity to take part in the school play with their peers, on top of the rest of the shit they possibly had going on.

MegBusset Sat 08-Dec-12 14:20:39

Yabu and incredibly selfish. These policies are in place for child protection and often because of a specific need in that setting. Idiots who ignore these rules can lead to children having to uproot their whole lives to move schools/areas if their whereabouts leaks onto the internet. You have no clue which, if any children may be affected by this.

DS's school handles this well imo, the teachers take photos of plays, sports day etc and check that any affected children are edited out, then parents get a group shot and an individual one of their child.

SugaricePlumFairy Sat 08-Dec-12 14:20:52

OP must be one of those Parents.

Are you feeling a little bit guilty about sticking two fingers up at the school, hence you looking for validation on here?

Tailtwister Sat 08-Dec-12 14:20:57

Oh yes sparkling, blocking everyone's view with their bloody phones because their children are SO much more important than very one else's. They're so busy mucking about, they don't even see the thing properly themselves.

WorraLorraTurkey Sat 08-Dec-12 14:21:13

I find that sad that a child is not being able to join in a play because of adults. Perhaps they should do the play and not invite parents to watch

That's exactly what they do.

The kids do a couple of performances for the rest of the school.

WeAreSix Sat 08-Dec-12 14:22:14

Worra our school had the same rule as yours up until last year. One parent complained and then the new blanket ban was imposed. There were many unhappy parents! But no, YANBU to share your experience.

Pancakeflipper Sat 08-Dec-12 14:23:00

I think my kids go to the only school that lets parents take photos and film the nativity.

WorraLorraTurkey Sat 08-Dec-12 14:23:07

AF it's a very flexible school...they try their hardest to accomodate everyone's wishes.

Therefore the tiny minority of kids who mustn't be photographed, will still get to perform...just not for the parents/carers.

However, their own parents/carers will be invited to that performance.

It works well, that's all I can say about it really.

teatimesthree Sat 08-Dec-12 14:23:28

YABVU.

YABVU and incredibly selfish. angry

DayShiftDoris Sat 08-Dec-12 14:24:53

So in Worra's school the 'looked after' kids and those escaping abuse are not only excluded but may as well have a big sticker that says 'problem family' as they are the only ones not taking part.

Think your school needs to look at its policies but it's next OFSTED as they look very carefully at safeguarding and inclusion and this policy fails on both counts.

WorraLorraTurkey Sat 08-Dec-12 14:25:03

WeAreSix I think that's exactly what the school is trying to avoid.

In doing it like this, they try to keep everyone happy and to my knowledge everyone is happy this way.

I'm sure if they're not in future, the policy will be reviewed.

McChristmasPants2012 Sat 08-Dec-12 14:25:19

thats good then, i would hate it if a child was missing out.

seems a sensible way to do it

Sparklingbrook Sat 08-Dec-12 14:25:23

I wonder what else the OP does that isn't allowed at school? sad

Witchety Sat 08-Dec-12 14:25:49

Honestly, you would never 'regret' not having it on film!!

Your life is fuller than that surely??

trueblood1fan Sat 08-Dec-12 14:26:04

yabvu

Sparklingbrook Sat 08-Dec-12 14:27:50

I have a DVD of DS1's first Nativity somewhere. I have never watched it and he is now 13. grin

WorraLorraTurkey Sat 08-Dec-12 14:28:10

No, not quite Doris Lol.

The school is in a deprived area and has over 900 pupils, yet to my knowledge only 2 have been removed from the public performance.

And I repeat, no-one has expressed unhappiness so far.

It's also rated by OFSTED as outstanding, so they're quite happy with it too it would seem.

As I say, if something works then it works...can't say any more than that really.

WeAreSix Sat 08-Dec-12 14:28:18

It was carnage at the school office when the rule came out, which was the day before the performances. The school then had a group photograph taken to 'compensate' - when the parent who com

DayShiftDoris Sat 08-Dec-12 14:28:31

Crossed posts with others - a seperate performance only does more to highlight their differences, especially within their peer groups.

The school controlling the photography is an excellent idea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now