To think Senco should be helping my child.

(37 Posts)

She is on IEP.

No progress since testing last May.

Just scored worse in her strong subject (still behind) reading than May.

Maths and Literacy at level 1a/2c.

She is ten.

Consultant involved as dd has been reassessed from original dx years ago as she was only three, he has made provisional dx of dyspraxia and ASD.

And I STILL haven't met Senco at school and can't seem to pin her down to a meeting sad

BackforGood Thu 06-Dec-12 20:09:13

So what was happening in the previous school ? It would seem to me that support should have been in place over some years. Whereas this SENCo doesn't sound very on the ball, surely you should have been a lot further on through input from the SENCo at the last school ?

pleasedontjudge Thu 06-Dec-12 20:09:32

It really can be a complete toss up. But apply - if no luck, apply again etc.

And in the meantime, keep pestering for intervention.

silverfrog Thu 06-Dec-12 20:12:40

they have a helpline too, if your LA start messing around.

SOS!SEN can also be very helpful.

one thing to be wary of - Parent Partnership - they are not always as impartial as they should be, and sometimes work hand in hand with the LA while apparently advising you

IndigoBelle Thu 06-Dec-12 20:18:22

Sarah Freck used to be a regular poster who always sounded like she was a good tutor.

But sounds like your DD needs a lot more than a tutor.

Def apply for a statement yourself. But also be more proactive about working out what her problems are, and what you, school or someone else could do to help her.

backforgood She was in a school were she had full time ta support so although she found things difficult she managed ok and achieved her year 2 sats around lower end of level 2 as she got LOTS of support.
Because of this she has floated round middle groups the whole of infants.

When she moved from infant to Junior school she ended up in a mixed age group and with a TA in class only two half days a week and was getting hardly any support, she really struggled but still in middle groups.

We moved house unavoidable and since joining here she has fell to bottom of bottom group as there is no ta at all in class.

McChristmasPants2012 Thu 06-Dec-12 20:24:42

i was advised against having a tutor as well, but when Senco turned down funding for 1-1 I went ahead any way.

Sorry what mean is infants had a full time TA in class in infants who worked with DD a lot not that SHE personally had a FT TA.

Thankyou Indigo

NannyEggn0gg Thu 06-Dec-12 21:27:02

The HT might seem to not be approachable, but frankly, you can't take any notice of that. She has a statutory duty to your daughter.
Ask for a meeting with CT, HT and Senco, take your DH or someone with you and get wheels in motion to obtain the education to which your daughter is entitled.

Thanks I will, she's been in tears tonight again over the class tests sad she is sat saying she is stupid as kids have been told their NC levels.

I've emailed the tutor indigo thanks.

pleasedontjudge Thu 06-Dec-12 21:49:36

No she's not stupid. I've had the same this week at work with a student. We put too much emphasis on grades. There is so much more to a successful person than the NC levels. Find her strengths, whether it be listening, being kind and supportive and a good friend, enjoying stories, sport etc and encourage her in that.

StarOfLightMcKings3 Thu 06-Dec-12 21:56:13

She's not stupid, the SENCO is stupid and has let her down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now