Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to ask how much you spend on DCs christmas presents?

(407 Posts)
Splatt34 Sun 02-Dec-12 07:50:39

Just that really.

DD is 2 & have finally decided what to get her. Adds up to around £70 in total.

how about the rest of you?

MrsDeVere Fri 07-Dec-12 07:47:06

smile @ bumble

Bumblequeen Fri 07-Dec-12 00:41:42

Apologies to Mrsdevere

crocodilesmiles Thu 06-Dec-12 14:32:09

Oh,*rubberglove*, the ladybird dressing up dress sounds really sweet. My little niece would love that! smile

I don't think there is a standard here. People should do whatever suits them and their family. As others have said there are loads of factors that can affect what you spend...buying presents thoroughout the year, what other people buy your children, income, your own experiences of Christmas as a child etc.

I do think it's important not to get into debt for Christmas though.

Lower budgets require a bit of creativity you can get cheap dvds, popcorn and sweets, wrap them in cellophane and ribbons and make Movie Night parcels for example...opening the multipacks of pyjamas and wrapping them up separately so it looks more!

No one should be made to feel bad about how they do things and what they spend.

thebody Wed 05-Dec-12 22:53:05

Hi haven't read all posts.. So.

We spend in our 4 kids (23 to 12)what we can afford year by year.

So last year it was 2 iPads and 2 iPods.

This year less materially but they understand that if we in the money then g8 if not its a top from primark and a mug.

No biggi and its a life lesson.

MrsDeVere Wed 05-Dec-12 22:46:39

So where is my apology then?

For you being rude and dismissive and not reading my post properly?

Bumblequeen Wed 05-Dec-12 22:26:11

MrsEBruce My apologies my previous post about being patronised was not intended for you but for Mrsdevere blush

rubberglove Wed 05-Dec-12 18:21:12

I have spent 50 quid on dd (3). A little ladybird dressing up dress and red patent shoes to match. A book about fairies, beautifully illustrated and a Brave jigsaw.

Ds (6) presents will come to about the same.

We go to mils for xmas and she gets them loads, spoils them rotten. So we don't go mad and save some money to do a nice concert and fun stuff over the holidays.

Badvocsanta Wed 05-Dec-12 17:48:38

I am with you fuzz pig smile

fuzzpig Wed 05-Dec-12 17:30:30

I am a head-in-the-sand person when it comes to Xmas spending. I know it's too much (although much less than last year) in terms of what we can comfortably afford. It's been a difficult couple of years... so, fuck it. grin

Badvocsanta Wed 05-Dec-12 15:41:16

Ah, you see I start in sept with the amazon sale smile and also use e bay for hard to find/rare stuff.
I haven't paid full price for anything!
The debenhams SAle was good this year. Less than half price on most toys.

laptopdancer Wed 05-Dec-12 13:53:23

I am in awe of you bargain shoppers. I just bought two toys for the local toy appeal and that cost me just over £20. Getting the lot for a child for £30-40 is fab!

Badvocsanta Wed 05-Dec-12 13:40:46

My two love torches! And they were only £3!
Bargain smile
Got ds2 lots of little arty crafty bits like paper, pens, water colour paint tin etc.
Nothing they have was more than £30 but there are lots of little things this year.
Ds2 also has chocolate coins in his stocking which ds1 doesn't like.
Also managed to get him sme rare Thomas engines from e bay for 99p! Was delighted smile
Have a lovey Xmas everyone x

MrsDeVere Wed 05-Dec-12 13:36:32

Those wind up torches are great. They lasted nearly a whole year in my house. That is the mark of a really tough toy grin

laptopdancer Wed 05-Dec-12 12:45:52

Thanks grin

Badvocsanta Wed 05-Dec-12 12:45:04

My ds is 9 so not sure if this will help but he is getting (from us and extended family):
iPod shuffle
Remote control plane
DVDs
Books
Battleship game
Ps3 games
Playmobil pirates stuff
Top trumps game
Knight sword/shield/helmet
Treasure chest/eye patch and pirate hat smile
Airifix spitfire
Think that's it!
Also a stocking with a bath bomb, book and wind up (ikea) torch in it.

laptopdancer Wed 05-Dec-12 12:41:43

Thanks ...scooting over there now

MissCellania Wed 05-Dec-12 12:40:28

There are tonnes of threads with ideas of things to buy for different age groups in the Christmas topic which is where this thread should be

laptopdancer Wed 05-Dec-12 12:39:07

8 year old ds smile

Badvocsanta Wed 05-Dec-12 12:36:31

What age are your dc laptop dancer?

laptopdancer Wed 05-Dec-12 12:35:00

secretly wishing people would post what they have bought so I can some ideas

HoHoHokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 05-Dec-12 12:32:38

Dd's 9 and 6 probably about £250 each.

Dss 17 about £300

laptopdancer Wed 05-Dec-12 12:31:46

I am another who's child has gifts only from F Xmas and we two parents. I don't even add it up, I just sort of buy things until it looks like a nice amount. We don't do a "main present" though so it's not as bad as it seems.

PrincessScrumpy Wed 05-Dec-12 12:30:36

£50-£70 on dc but they also get lots from family. We ask for clothes and money if people want to buy them things as they have so many toys it's crazy.

Badvocsanta Wed 05-Dec-12 12:29:59

Yeah I need to stop now...just got the bath bombs and a DVD for ds1 In the post this morning.
Just sil to do but dh is getting that.
Just need to make some flapjacks and mince pies for teachers now...

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 05-Dec-12 12:20:04

No-one is trying to burn anyone. confused Happy that you can make your kids so happy, yes - but proud? Just seems a weird emotion to have.

Jingle have a fabulous time grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now