To have only just realised how awesome slow cookers are

(54 Posts)
TraineeBabyCatcher Mon 26-Nov-12 23:12:28

I know I am. Very unreasonable, why did no one in my life tell me!
I was bought a slow cooker ages ago, used once or twice for stew.
Now I have a cook book to go along side it. I loves it! So many easy beautiful means.

Am I missing any other major life changing kitchen utensils? like finding a can opening than actually works and doesn't keep breaking

HissyByName Tue 27-Nov-12 21:54:42

Ooh, I'm convinced! I didn't get on with mine before, so got rif of it, it was too big I think. I'm going to try again, get myself a smaller one and hope to get it right so DS and I can eat proper food durong the week.

Will 3.5L be big enough? What are great SC books?

pingu2209 Tue 27-Nov-12 22:52:12

lamb shanks in the slow cooker with rosemary and gravy and whole shallot onions. Yum.

CaliforniaLeaving Wed 28-Nov-12 01:21:20

I put mine on Low for about 4 or so hours and high for cooking 8 or more hours. I never brown the meat first, I'm too lazy.
I wrote that completely backwards, blush Thanks to Dh he kept asking me for help outside and needing tea to stay warm (Men!)
It's High for fast cooking of about 4 hours and Low for slow cooking of about 8 hours! Isn't it?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 28-Nov-12 03:03:45

Yes, California, your second post is right. I was a bit puzzled by your first! grin

Tiredmummy, yes, put it on low if you're looking at 7+ hours. (Others are welcome to disagree) And no, you really don't have to brown the meat before cooking. I understand your queasiness, but honestly, 7+ hours at simmering point will kill any nasties in either the meat or the veg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now