Too much time in playpen for toddler?

(722 Posts)
lexiss Sun 25-Nov-12 11:25:11

This morning DS 17 months woke up at 6am. I got up bf him and put him in the playpen. It is one of those extra large, hexagonal playpens.

Around 6.15 I gave him some water and changed his nappy. Then I went back to bed after making sure the playpen had only safe toys and the baby monitor was plugged in.

I fell asleep and woke up at 8.30. I went out to see DS and he was happily playing with this toys. He is very into small manipulative puzzles, shape boxes, stacking cups etc at the moment and he was busy playing with these.

He had been in the playpen for nearly 2.5 hours! Is this too long? Is there a problem that he plays happliy for this length of time by himself?

Most days I have a nap during the day for an hour or so and DS spends this time in the playpen but I have never left him for 2.5 hours before.

What do you think about this?

Gentleness Sun 25-Nov-12 14:15:13

Play-pen may mean padded floor and anyway, my kids could sleep fine on the floor as can children all over the world.

Not alone - baby monitor.

I'm beginning to wonder if I am a flaky mum or if others are just more precious.

OHforDUCKScake Sun 25-Nov-12 14:15:24

Sam
"If my child decided to get up at 6am I certainly would be playing with them."

Im assuming you have chosen not to have children. If you have, for the love of God why?

hiviolet Sun 25-Nov-12 14:15:37

It's a very long time to be alone and awake. Not the same as being alone at night, clearly.

SugarplumMary Sun 25-Nov-12 14:15:53

Why would you assume that there was 'just floor' when the OP says he was
happily playing with this toys.

InNeedOfBrandy Sun 25-Nov-12 14:16:23

abandoned yes thats the word for it hmm

I abandon my dc a lot wink

OHforDUCKScake Sun 25-Nov-12 14:16:50

Sam to sleep I assume?

That is no comparison and you know it. Otherwise, why shut your child in its room for 2 hours?

SamSmalaidh Sun 25-Nov-12 14:18:00

OHforDUCKS - I shouldn't have had children because I don't want to get up ridiculously early hmm I'm just not the morning (or martyr) type I'm afraid. After 7am, ok - 8am, great. 6am - not a chance.

OHforDUCKScake Sun 25-Nov-12 14:18:21

Just floor TO SLEEP on. Someone suggested he may have slept. Unless you mean its better to use a train as a pillow?

SamSmalaidh Sun 25-Nov-12 14:18:54

Sometimes he doesn't sleep in the afternoon. Is still in his room 12.30-2.30pm though.

tittytittyhanghang Sun 25-Nov-12 14:19:22

Abandoned grin im away to call SS on myself!

MrsDeVere Sun 25-Nov-12 14:19:43

Abandoned?
No. Abandoned is what happened to my ds. Left without food, stimulation and love. Never knowing if he was going to be cared for. He still expects to be left, 9 years later.

Being in a warm, comfy playpen with toys and the security of knowing your mum will be back is not being abandoned.

OHforDUCKScake Sun 25-Nov-12 14:20:02

So when they were babies if they woke you before 7am you left them to it?

Fair enough.

I actually cant be fucked to argue with that.

Idocrazythings Sun 25-Nov-12 14:22:08

Sam let us know when you find better parents for your child, I'll give them mine too as 6am is NOT wake up time in my house either

MrsDeVere Sun 25-Nov-12 14:22:18

I'm not getting up at 6 to play with my kids.
That's a sure fire way of telling them that 6am is the right time to get up and play.

And it isn't.

I wouldn't stay up to 3 am to play with my kids either, however much they wanted me to.

OHforDUCKScake Sun 25-Nov-12 14:22:36

So a lot of you leave your babies (below 18 months) to go to sleep upstairs? Thats 'normal' is it? Ive never known any parent in RL to do that.

Whatever floats your boats.

MrsDeVere Sun 25-Nov-12 14:24:09

No. Most of us do not get up and play choo choos at 6am just because a toddler is demanding that we do.

tittytittyhanghang Sun 25-Nov-12 14:24:21

What if they woke at 4am? or 3am? or what if they don't wake up til 8am? sometimes my ds didn't wake up till 10. Did i miss the chapter in babyrearing that said you have to be up at 7am for dc's?

SamSmalaidh Sun 25-Nov-12 14:26:18

I always treated before 7am as night time. Before 12 months that meant coming into bed with me to breastfeed/doze in the dark. After 12 months that meant staying in his cot with some books/toys while I went back to bed. By 18 months he was in a bed so could potter about playing in his room until a reasonable hour.

InNeedOfBrandy Sun 25-Nov-12 14:26:55

Most of us have said at that time we doze on the sofa or bring toddler back into our bed with a dvd on. Thats completely the same as abandoning a child to go on holiday for a week with the tap running for water hmm

SamSmalaidh Sun 25-Nov-12 14:27:37

I personally wouldn't leave a baby/toddler downstairs in a playpen and sleep upstairs, and I don't think the OP should either. However I have left a toddler playing in his bedroom while I am in bed, and I have slept on the sofa while a baby/toddler plays around me.

MrsDeVere Sun 25-Nov-12 14:28:37

I don't actually know where my kids are ATM.

Violet77 Sun 25-Nov-12 14:29:12

I didn't have a playpen, they are just cages for small children. I made the house safe. Why do people need them?

I would never have left mine alone to sleep. Even when horribly sleep deprived i wouldn't have done that. At 17m mine could climb out of cots, they would pile up the toys if they couldn't reach. My daughter could open doors wih keys at that age.

Sorry but it's wrong chldren deserve interaction in a two and a half hour window, call family for help.

Sirzy Sun 25-Nov-12 14:29:43

Op could you sit and read or something to relax a bit rather than napping? At least then you can hear him if your concerned.

Ds is just 3 and if he wakes before 7 he plays in his room. It's probably about the last 6 months I have felt happy doing that.

Marzipanface Sun 25-Nov-12 14:30:01

He wasn't abandoned. This wasn't neglect. It's no different from loads of parents who leave their children in the cot until they decide to get up and go into them.
Besides, it was an accident and OP is asking for advice and has said she will take it.

InNeedOfBrandy Sun 25-Nov-12 14:30:38

Id much prefer to use a cage and have a shower/shit by myself then be a martyr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now