DD1 (11 YO) watched a 15 rated horror film at their Halloween party.

(66 Posts)
AgentZigzag Sun 25-Nov-12 01:13:49

She said after the party had ended how they'd all watched the film The Hole. It was a party for only those in her house and she was with other people her own age, but because the form she's in is 'vertically stacked' (is that what they call it?) there are children from her age up to school leaving age (which is a great way of doing it I reckon).

I thought she'd said this film was a 12 rated, but it's on Film four in half an hour and it's rated a 15!

I'm a bit of a horror fan but haven't seen it before. She said it really freaked them out and some (who I know are only 11/12) couldn't watch and were turning away, but obviously didn't want to not watch because everyone else was).

She's been watching 12s for a while now, but only ones I've watched and know are OK, she's seen one or two 15s, but again, only one's I know won't give her sleepless nights.

AIBU to wonder WTF the school was thinking taking the decision away from me? It's a bit late to do anything now, but if they think a 15's OK, why not an 18 next? Maybe fuck their heads with The Ring, or 28 Days Later? Why not?

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Nov-12 01:42:53

grin at Ikea Knightly as well, she's not my favourite wooden actor that'd be Keanu Reeves grin.

We watched Hellraiser the other night Vesta, still scary as shit, and still eww at him ripping his hand on that nail.

3mily Sun 25-Nov-12 01:53:39

grin

Wallison Sun 25-Nov-12 01:54:51

The Others always makes me cry. It certainly has its creepy moments but most of all I just think it's terribly sad.

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Nov-12 01:56:47

It genuinely shocked me when I saw the end for the first time Wallison, I just didn't see it coming at all - which is always the sign of a good film (so long as it's not so cagy you can't fathom out WTF's going on)

EuroShopperEnergyDrink Sun 25-Nov-12 01:58:41

What 'The Hole' was it, OP?

Wallison Sun 25-Nov-12 02:00:27

Yes, it caught me out as well - I wasn't even remotely expecting it and I agree that's the sign of a good film, especially as it could have easily just been a mish-mash of creepy stuff, but somehow it held my attention right up to the end.

Elderflowergranita Sun 25-Nov-12 02:06:52

Will bet the farm it's 'Holes', an amazing chidrens' book on the school curriculum here in Ireland, where they watch the movie of the same name in class.

Perhaps check the facts? Louis Sacher is the author.

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Nov-12 02:10:23

It's always the normal/but not normal things in horrors that keep me thinking about them, the video in The Ring, the lad standing facing the corner at the end of Blair Witch, members of the coven walking slowly towards the dad in Paranormal 3.

It's those things I try to avoid thinking about when I've got to walk across the landing in the dark after turning the light out.

And of course end up thinking about them grin (classic ironic processing story of my life grin)

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Nov-12 02:11:22

It was definitely one of the two horrors already mentioned Elder, not a PG children's film.

rhondajean Sun 25-Nov-12 02:14:21

I wouldn't let my almost 13 year old watch it and. Would throw a total wobbler if the school did.

Wallison Sun 25-Nov-12 02:15:22

Ooh yes. Stuff that is just creepy even though it doesn't involve anything conventionally creepy. Weird stuff, that's just enough askew from real life for you to know that something really evil in the true sense is going on. Stuff that gets your brain ticking and imagining much worse than any film-maker could ever show you. Like the utterly terrifying old BBC adaptation of Oh Whistle And I'll Come To You which if you describe it sounds very tame indeed but when you watch it ... oh my.

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Nov-12 02:17:19

I may have been a bit previous in my outrage rhonda grin

But thanks for the support, even if it might just be hypothetical.

rhondajean Sun 25-Nov-12 02:19:54

I'm trying to catch the pervious and thing it's around you having the correct film yes?

If its the thora hird film, it is totally inappropriate. I'll support you to the hilt. I'd have a hairy fit.

And I let mines watch censored south park, family guy and 15 films.

Wallison Sun 25-Nov-12 02:25:57

Yep, the Thora Hird film is definitely not a film for 11 year-olds.

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Nov-12 02:25:59

grin at the hairy fit.

Does that involve truckers at all?

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Nov-12 02:28:13

I'm exactly the same Wallison, always have been.

And DD is as well.

Overactive imagination.

rhondajean Sun 25-Nov-12 02:30:12

The door was locked, I remember that much.

And school bullying.

I have hiccups sad

Wallison Sun 25-Nov-12 02:33:03

Makes for an interesting life though, eh, AgentZigzag? Mind, I could have done without scaring myself rigid for quite a long time by looking at an otherwise innocuous Bucks Fizz poster that was on my bedroom wall - there was a little bit on it - think it was a design on one of their jackets - that when the light from the hallway half-hit it looked demonic. And of course I didn't take the bloody thing down because even at that tender age I liked being scared. By Bucks bloody Fizz.

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Nov-12 02:55:00

I wouldn't have a hot water bottle when I was little because I thought it'd set the bed on fire.

I've noticed you can break just about any horror down into basically being about isolation, geographically or psychologically, it's what puts the shitters up people the most.

Maybe because we're social animals?

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Nov-12 02:55:46

Yes, interesting as in 'interesting' Wallison grin

Wallison Sun 25-Nov-12 03:01:52

Yy to isolation. And maybe the reason that we are social animals is because there's this primal fear of what's out there, in the dark.

One programme I watched about horror films said that in the slasher movies quite often they will call for their friends for eg when they're walking through the spooky house, but their friends don't hear them or (more often) are already dead. Then they shout for their parents, and of course their parents won't come. Then they say 'Oh my God' etc, and God doesn't come either.

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Nov-12 03:09:56

My mum used to play a 'game' (which I now recognise as her testing what we thought of her) when we were little, and when we shouted her after getting in the door from school, she wouldn't answer.

She said she used to find it interesting listening to the rising panic in our voices 'Mum. Mum. Mummy? MUUUMMMYY?', laughing and stuff when she was telling us about it when we were older hmm

Yeah, hilarious.

(how much are your therapy rates before I say anything else Walli? grin)

Wallison Sun 25-Nov-12 03:21:26

Oh you poor things!

frantic51 Sun 25-Nov-12 03:23:55

Well, I hope it wasn't the film I just watched. I wouldn't have wanted any of mine to watch that at age 11!

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Nov-12 03:29:39

There were definitely what Sky would term 'mature themes' weren't there frantic?

I'll ask DD which one it was tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now