To be incensed by Knorr Stock Pots?

(193 Posts)
NairyHipples Thu 22-Nov-12 18:26:53

The amount of packaging (plastic, foil and paper) is shocking. It costs very little to boil some bones up with some old carrots and onions to make your own stock, so why do people buy them?
www.knorr.co.uk/Products/Knorr-Stock-Pots.aspx

soapnuts Thu 22-Nov-12 18:28:18

they are also ridiculously salty - I put one in a curry the other day (with no other added salt) and I ended up having to add a tub of creme fraiche to let down the saltiness! yuck - don't know what to do with the rest of the packet now.

PorkyScratching Thu 22-Nov-12 18:28:28

For the convenience.

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Thu 22-Nov-12 18:28:55

Incensed? By a pot of stock? You need to get out more. I could barely manage a 'meh' over a stock cube.

BeerTricksPott3r Thu 22-Nov-12 18:29:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

goralka Thu 22-Nov-12 18:29:55

funnily enough NairyHipples the ads for knorr stock pots are a major piss take in our house - the way the chef kind of places it reverently and cheffily into the pot right? when it's just a glorified oxo cube or something?

phantomnamechanger Thu 22-Nov-12 18:30:05

Er, I buy them cos they are tasty and quick - they go in soups, sauces, risotto (veggie ones so no bones anyway)- boiling up bones is something our grans might have had time for but I dont know a single busy mum who does it, except perhaps with a chicken to make soup.

For the ease. I don't have the time to make up stock as well as cook something like a risotto. The times I have made my own it's been a bit bland.

That said, the knorr ones ARE disgustingly salty. I did the product test for the new bisto ones and they're really nice.

I don't have time in my life to waste hanging around waiting for stock to boil.

And really, incensed? By stock?

I bloody love them but use sparingly in soups, stews etc.

Not all of us have the time or inclination to go boiling bones and carcasses hmm

YABU. I buy them and I cook most things from scratch- I just CBA making stock.
I agree they do have a lot of packaging but they are so handy to have in the cupboard and are IMHO superior to most stick cubes, plus they are gluten free.
Don't buy them if you don't want, instead revel in your smugness the money you are saving while you boil up your carcasses.

missymoomoomee Thu 22-Nov-12 18:32:34

grin the only old bones in this house are mine.

Crikeyblimey Thu 22-Nov-12 18:32:53

I have a perfect solution to your incensedness - don't buy them. Move on.

I do however have a long list of stuff you could get incensed about for me cos I don't have time to - you could do it whilst you watch the bones boil for bloody hours.

Startail Thu 22-Nov-12 18:33:26

Swiss bullion powder, one paper tub for loads of stock and just use as much or as little as tastes right.

Yes it is salty

expatinscotland Thu 22-Nov-12 18:33:56

They're so much more expensive than a stock cube and boiling water that I can't justify buying them.

The Bisto ones are bloody lovely grin

Ginandtonicandamassageplease Thu 22-Nov-12 18:34:37

Only incensed by the amount of salt in them - ruined my soup!

LadyMargolotta Thu 22-Nov-12 18:35:11

YANBU. They are disgusting.

BeerTricksPott3r Thu 22-Nov-12 18:35:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrskeithrichards Thu 22-Nov-12 18:35:37

Where do you buy old bones anyway?

mumsfretter Thu 22-Nov-12 18:35:54

it's a stock cube of course it's salty! Just use half of one if you want and add some finely chopped celery.

We use boullion powder. Much nicer!

BeatTheClock Thu 22-Nov-12 18:36:51

Oh I like Knorr stock cubes (better than Oxo imho). Haven't tried the stock pots but keep meaning to despite annoying adverts with that argumentative bloke.

Make my own stock? Nah.

LadyMargolotta Thu 22-Nov-12 18:36:59

mumsfretter - the problem with the stock pots is that you can't really use half without wasting the other half.

goralka Thu 22-Nov-12 18:38:46

yes the Swiss bouillon powder is great and if you have a Polski Sklep nearby there's a Polish version called Vegeta.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now