Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To detest children in need?

(198 Posts)
Smeeeinit Fri 16-Nov-12 20:27:18

The show that takes my precious eastenders away from me NOT what it stands for.
The whole terry Wogan/gabby roslin thing makes me want to rip my eyes out ..
I don't need to watch a bunch of non slebs doing shit to know what's happening in the world.
However I do give a good wedge every year... I'm not a total fucker!

Smeeeinit Sun 18-Nov-12 14:17:49

Well put futtheshuckup

FutTheShuckUp Sun 18-Nov-12 14:00:47

Its great to open people's eyes up to what goes on out in the big wide world- how inequality in child health exists, how horrible illnesses effect children and the support thats needed to help in these situations.
However it really doesnt sit right that the BBC carries this event out when they operated a paedophile ring all those years back (probably when CIN first came to be) and a blind eye was turned to those children who were truly in need and allowed to be abused by its big names.
Urghh

stinkinseamonkey Sun 18-Nov-12 13:11:09

when there was a thread about the most aggressive outbound calling charities, and how people stopped donating to certain charities because of it (personally, shelter, who were nasty when I politely explained that I donated on an ad-hoc basis not DD because we got close to that fine line ourselves some months).. nobody got shitty with the posters who didn't like the wasy those charities were opporating

why the amnesty with CIN? why can't we be discerning and choose how to give? why is it reasonable to not like donating to buckets on shop counters (I don't because of the % that get nicked) or street DD collecters or aggressive outbound callers or charities that use shocking images etc?

I don't like how things are done in CIN week one bit! I'm not campaigning to prevent anyone else from donating, so why are some posters so defensive?

Peterpan101 Sat 17-Nov-12 19:31:32

Hazey, I was of course talking about the people that donate.....if we had considerably more taxation, that centre could be supported by Govt funds.

But people would still want to donate to a different charity that THEY SET UP....and do it in a better way.....so making themselves feel better by doing it.

Some times the reasons why we are trying to make ourselves feel better are very personal.

Peterpan101 Sat 17-Nov-12 19:26:45

Absolutely.....and there is NO SUCH THING as an anonymous donation!!

Chuggers know well that man/woman couples are the best targets as the man wants to impress his partner.....the same is true for anonymous donations....there's some wealthy man some where trying to impress a lady on the end of every one!!

For those who think it is a disgrace that we in the UK have charities. Even the most egalitarian societies have them...there are always poor/unfortunate somewhere that come to our rescue to be helped!!

The richer and more successful we become the more spare cash we will have to give. Help for Heroes is a good example. Never have our wounded soldiers been better looked after....and never have we raised so much to add to what the Govt has already given!! (thank a god, any god!).

hazeyjane Sat 17-Nov-12 19:22:11

PeterPan, I am trying to work out which category the children's disability centre, that ds attends, fits into!

Please don't say the 'B' name. I get violent. The one ending in 'O'

legoballoon Sat 17-Nov-12 19:14:01

And I'm glad I'm not the only one to think that getting Britain's wealthiest individuals to bid for luxury experiences is just rubbing salt in most people's (global recession) wounds: "We're all in it together"?

If you can really afford to spend £250k on a weekend in Monaco, shame on you for holding onto that cash when you could have donated it to a 'good cause' before, and still had your F1 jaunt. Absolutely nauseating.

Peterpan101 Sat 17-Nov-12 19:11:33

Charities exist for 3 reasons:
1. To allow the haves to feel better about the plight of the have-not's...
2. To allow the haves to feel better because they're helping the have-nots....
3. To influence the have-nots to behave, and not make the haves into have-nots....

I have worked for charities around the world....some of it is semi noble.....some of it is down right terrible......some of it criminal.

legoballoon Sat 17-Nov-12 19:11:07

I would pay them more not to broadcast all the 'sleb' nonsense. Honestly, 'Little Mix' and their ilk make my toes curl.

Also, what's with Wogan talking about "sexual abuse" in the first 2 minutes. I let my LOs (4 & 6) stay up to see 10 minutes of "Pudsey" as they had done something at school for it, and I don't think I'm bubble-wrapping them too much to expect not to have to explain what that is. Luckily I think they were too busy vying for best place on the sofa at the time, but I thought just saying he knew kids were "vulnerable" and other euphemistic phrases would have been better earlier on in the evening.

Fortunately, once the kids had had their 10 minutes and gone to bed, I could turn off the TV, unplug the infernal machine, and do something less brain-numbing.

1605 Sat 17-Nov-12 19:06:46

YANBU.

Children In Need, Bono, Bob Geldof, Comic Relief and their self-regarding hypocritical ilk all boil my piss.

Perhaps if the above named entertainers paid their rightful taxes, the rest of us need not make up the shortfall in the social services budget via charitable donations.

Smeeeinit Sat 17-Nov-12 19:01:31

Oh I hate that aswell lynette !!

LynetteScavo England Sat 17-Nov-12 17:21:38

Weirdly, I don't mind comic relief so much.

fallingsun Sat 17-Nov-12 15:18:34

Yanbu. I can't stand it. The only thing worse is comic relief and chuggers on your doorstep. I give generously but discreetly to charity, I am very cynical about the BBC and celebs trying to appear good whilst coercing the public.

hazeyjane Sat 17-Nov-12 15:06:21

I don't know how much they said it costs on CinN, but a portage worker earns around £15 -20,000. A play therapist around £25,000 (similar to a physio).

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 17-Nov-12 14:19:25

'I didn't even realise it was children in need. My Dd's school didn't do anything for it!'

Maybe they got too much grief last year.

SoleSource England Sat 17-Nov-12 14:18:00

I loved the show this year. Kylie was fab.

Fakebook Sat 17-Nov-12 14:09:45

I didn't even realise it was children in need. My Dd's school didn't do anything for it!

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 17-Nov-12 14:06:44

I'm on the fence re this. On one hand it does support just the uk and smaller charities but seeing the amount it costs to fund a play therapist etc makes me think they charge so much as others are funding it rather than a nirmal living wage. Some of the stories re children having no bed to sleep on shouldnt be on the list, if parents cant provide a bed its a case for social services not CIN.

The celebs are mainly in it for promotion I agree, it woukd have been better with less celebs are more schools etc.

Smeeeinit Sat 17-Nov-12 12:54:14

Thinking about it..... I really should've posted this somewhere else rather than AIBU.
I know I'm not unreasonable for hating it just like others hate eastenders/Corrie etc etc.... It's a tv programme that I hate not the fundraising.
I'm allowed to dislike any programme whether it involves fundraising or not.

EdgarAllanPond Sat 17-Nov-12 09:49:12

YABVU

you have lost one channel out of the scores you have to choose from to a telethon.

boo-fucking-hoo.

lots of money got raised for a worthy cause. who cares how.

hazeyjane Sat 17-Nov-12 09:43:15

stinkin, I think you need to take it up with the school. They should be organising events that don't make children feel singled out.

My dd's primary are always careful to ask for a voluntary contribution, which is thrown in a bucket on the way into school (I had a fundraiser there recently and stood holding the bucket with ds and the girls and I can honestly say I wouldn't notice, and nor would I care, who threw money in). When I had a cake sale, I had a stash of money for kids who didn't have money to buy a cake, and we did 20p biscuits and 50p cakes, so people didn't have to bring too much in.

stinkinseamonkey Sat 17-Nov-12 09:11:13

when DCs are old enough I will suggest that if they want to be involved with the school stuff they can give us some of their pocket/birthday money for us to buy their cakes to bring home or for their PJ days - it'll be up to them. And I can go back to mostly ignoring CIN. But for now with younger children it's really not much of an option to opt out without the child being singled out.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sat 17-Nov-12 09:00:46

Charity (like UK taxes at the moment) seem to be all about getting Rich people on board to make poorer people part with their money for more disadvantage people somewhere to benefit.

stinkinseamonkey Sat 17-Nov-12 08:54:20

it was all week here, not one day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now