Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To detest children in need?

(198 Posts)
Smeeeinit Fri 16-Nov-12 20:27:18

The show that takes my precious eastenders away from me NOT what it stands for.
The whole terry Wogan/gabby roslin thing makes me want to rip my eyes out ..
I don't need to watch a bunch of non slebs doing shit to know what's happening in the world.
However I do give a good wedge every year... I'm not a total fucker!

PetiteRaleuse Fri 16-Nov-12 21:51:01

Yabu. Money is raised for causes in the uk for which government funding has been massively slashed and at a time when people don't want to give. It is also a great, fun way of showing millions of kids that others need help.

It's one evening in the year, hardly a big deal for sodding Eastenders fans.

TuftyFinch Fri 16-Nov-12 21:54:10

If you feel able to raise all that money another way. You go right ahead. Then you can say you detest CIN. Until then why don't you just thank your lucky stars that you're not counting on every penny raised.
<stillreallyfuckingcrossface>

Usual, he's lost weight.

PetiteRaleuse Fri 16-Nov-12 21:54:35

It happens that the only happy school memories I have are CiN days where we got to chuck buckets of water at teachers. Hadn't watched it in years (live abroad) and so far only recognise terry wogan and team gb and robbie williams, but they're raising millions. No bad thing.

usualsuspect3 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:56:56

Is it cool to hate CIN?

We raised about a £100 today at work.

<charityface>

LisaD1 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:58:20

Yabu, how can anyone listen to the back stories and think EE is more worthy of our time?oh and the presenter is Tess Daley not Fearne!

Anonymumous Fri 16-Nov-12 22:00:18

Oh dear, I see the po-faces have turned up. I'm off...

TuftyFinch Fri 16-Nov-12 22:01:31

No Usual it's not cool. Well done you smile

<imbeingsoveryfuckingearnesttonightface>

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 16-Nov-12 22:01:53

Think OP was just joking.

Obviously Children in Need is a cause worthy of attention. even if it includes Fearne Cotton

Everlong Fri 16-Nov-12 22:02:06

Fearne was on earlier. She is taking turns with Tess gurner.

stinkinseamonkey Fri 16-Nov-12 22:04:00

I fecking hate it! rich people on telly telling us poor people to give up our cash because they're '"giving their time" - yeah! one WHOLE EVENING given up to self promotion, how inspiring!

usualsuspect3 Fri 16-Nov-12 22:04:48

<poface>

LynetteScavo Fri 16-Nov-12 22:05:16

At a time when people don't want to give? Or at a time when lots of people are struggling financially?

usualsuspect3 Fri 16-Nov-12 22:06:06

Don't watch it then.

amarylisnightandday Fri 16-Nov-12 22:06:29

Plenty of point missing. The fact that call me dave is trying to shove everything in to charities and just absolve the government of any responsibilities to the vulnerable.
I believe passionately in the work of CIN/all equivalents it's just that I also believe passionately that the government should be paying for it. It's exactly the same with help for heroes.
I'm not going to tacitly agree that child protection work is being done by charities it's bloody negligent.

Ileithyia Fri 16-Nov-12 22:06:57

I've no problem with the cause, just the relentless nagging for money. If the Schlebs want to put on an evening of "light entertainment" to help raise awareness of child poverty etc in the UK, that's great, especially if they are donating huge chunks of their personal fortune to these worthy causes. However, a simple message running along the bottom of the screen with the donation details would do, I don't watch it because I can't bear the nagging. So they possibly lose money because I get so pissed off with the "please give as much as you can" from the pleading schlebs in designer frocks and £600 heels......

threesocksmorgan Fri 16-Nov-12 22:06:58

so glad to see people find CIN need so funny to take the piss out of.
"It pleads on peoples conscience ... do away with the lic fee and we wouldnt have to suffer it.

Im not suffering it because I have a working remote control that switches channel

Hard faced I pay enough in tax for foreign aid. Contraception and education would be more worthwhile."

fuck off

colleysmill Fri 16-Nov-12 22:07:07

Well I fell out with children in need many years ago after a fiasco as a school child and the biggest choir EVER - very long very boring story which I should have gotten over 20 + years ago - but have never forgotten or given since.

I do donate directly to some charities that have been featured though

TuftyFinch Fri 16-Nov-12 22:12:36

I knew people like you existed with your withering indignation about other people daring to raise money for children in need. I just never realised how disheartening it would be to read your actual words. There are quite a lot of tv channels. CIN is on one of them. It doesn't need to touch you in any way. Yet still you persist with your righteous indignation. Turn over.
<ohmyfuckinggodwiththeridiculouspeopleface>

usualsuspect3 Fri 16-Nov-12 22:14:10

<lovesTuftyface>

PetiteRaleuse Fri 16-Nov-12 22:14:47

Yes, the government SHOULD be dealing with it all, but they aren't, and won't. So it's a great way of raising awareness.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 16-Nov-12 22:15:52

I agree with Tufty.

If that makes me po-faced, so be it

amarylisnightandday Fri 16-Nov-12 22:20:35

Dare to educate yourself just a little bit more about aid and you might see CIN/comic relief Etc a little differently.
I'm not going to say anyone in particular here is wrong in their beliefs because they are right, based on the information they have and the validity of its sources. And by that I mean successful propaganda.

We are all entitled to make informed decisions about to whom we give our own money to.

I wonder what the figures are like about people in benefits giving to CIN are. If they are relevant then I want to talk about exploitation in a grim way.

hugoagogo Fri 16-Nov-12 22:22:31

CIN always reminds me of my own childhood and how noone even noticed me and my brothers.

Ridiculous for me to be a bit hmm I suppose.

Ileithyia Fri 16-Nov-12 22:25:20

I haven't watched a single second of it on the tv, but I'v had to buy spotty clothes for my children to wear to school today, and give them money to donate in school. It's also all over the shops and internet. So it's not just a tv show, is it?

I do donate, to this and a variety of other charities, but the whole telethon thing is like nails down a black board to me.

colleysmill Fri 16-Nov-12 22:26:17

tufty was your last post in response to mine?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now