Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To detest children in need?

(198 Posts)
Smeeeinit Fri 16-Nov-12 20:27:18

The show that takes my precious eastenders away from me NOT what it stands for.
The whole terry Wogan/gabby roslin thing makes me want to rip my eyes out ..
I don't need to watch a bunch of non slebs doing shit to know what's happening in the world.
However I do give a good wedge every year... I'm not a total fucker!

80sMum Fri 16-Nov-12 21:07:42

Back in 1980 when Children in Need started it was nowhere near as over-the-top as it is now. It was just a few short appeals interspersed with the normal programme schedule.
These days, it seems to last at least a couple of weeks. It's been on the One Show and on Radio 2 for ages. A bit too much, I think.

Smeeeinit Fri 16-Nov-12 21:09:12

I'm SO glad I started this thread..... I've spent years thinking its just me.
Thrilled to know I'm not alone grin

BridgetJonesPants Fri 16-Nov-12 21:10:24

YANBU - each to their own!

This is the first time I've bothered to watch it (DD aged 8 wanted to watch this year). I'm thoroughly enjoying it & it's good for DD to see how there are so many children less fortunate than her. It's obviously worked as she has just donated the £4.00 from her piggy bank (I made it up to £10). Far better than her buying a daft comic or the like.......and me buying another bottle of I feel fine wink!

She's desperate for Tom Daley to come on!

Smeeeinit Fri 16-Nov-12 21:11:48

Ahhh that's lovely Bridget how sweet. smile

IAmLouisWalsh Fri 16-Nov-12 21:14:09

Many many years ago, on Harry Enfield, The Old Gits had a sketch with the line 'Children in need? They can bloody well stay in need'.

It has become the annual response in our house. I will happily donate money so long as I don't have to watch the shite they put on.

I'd rather watch Children in Need than the drivel that is Eastenders. Even the segments about children being abused are less depressing than a typical Easties episode.

nursingdreams Fri 16-Nov-12 21:19:21

I'm always torn with CIN. I've just returned from spending 2 years working in a childrens department in a hospital in one of the poorest countries in Africa. I think it is quite insulting to the hundreds of children I tried to look after who were dying from preventable diseases to have celebrities who could easily donate thousands feeling like they are doing a great job because they give their time to appear on a show for 5 mintues!! I also wonder how much money actually goes to these projects and how much goes on making teddies, t-shirts, posters ect.

However I do feel that people have a tendency to ignore what is happening in the world and anything that raises awareness is a great thing. My opinion is when you can remind children and adults that there are a lot of people in the world who don't have enough food to survive or can't access medical help maybe donating money to CIN will just be the first step they take, maybe it will persuade someone to actually get out there and try to do something about it.

Svrider Fri 16-Nov-12 21:20:27

Thing is we watch every penny
It's cost me £9 to send kids to school today
To us, thats a large Xmas present
I realise of course that some kids are getting no presents at all, but still...

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Fri 16-Nov-12 21:23:05

Yanbu. The whole programme is cringeworthy bollocks.

EuroShagmore Fri 16-Nov-12 21:29:07

I don't understand why slebs either making tits of themselves or having the chance to do amazing things that many people would love to have a go at is deserving of my money.

I'll be watching a DVD.

hazeyjane Fri 16-Nov-12 21:34:12

The good thing about children in need is that they give grants to charities that struggle to raise funds in other ways.

Ds goes to a special needs nursery, it provides SALT, OT and physio to children with disabilities as well as much needed support to their parents who attend with their children. It is the only development centre in a huge area, and it has had massive cuts to it's funding, as well as losing 2 of it major charitable donors due to the recession. The annual grant from CinN is enough to fund 2 members of staff. The centre struggles to fundraise whilst also carrying out the hugely important work they do, they are not a well known charity and most people are surprised when they discover how heavily the centre has to rely on charity to stay open.

These are the sort of charities that benefit massively from children in need.

(obviously the show is pretty unwatchable though!)

LynetteScavo Fri 16-Nov-12 21:36:21

I dislike children in need because EastEnders is not on, and because I have spent far too much cash on spotty socks and other spotty clothes...which could have just gone straight to charity.

Actually, I might boycott it next time, send my DC to school in non spotty things if we don't already have any, and give the money straight to charity.

And I know I shouldn't mention it, but Fearn's dress.....

Everlong Fri 16-Nov-12 21:38:33

Yes Fernes dress and Susan Boyle's singing are both terrible.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 16-Nov-12 21:39:39

YES! Fearne and Susan are awful I agree Everlong

lovebunny Fri 16-Nov-12 21:42:21

awful. never watch it. can't stand even the idea of it.

amarylisnightandday Fri 16-Nov-12 21:42:43

Politics of Breastfeeding and Dead Aid dissuade me from getting involved in foreign aid appeals. I think that's over for me.
I guess I feel the way I do about begathons as I do about chuggers. Now I have just remembered about Bono. Eugh. To everyone who has mentioned the audacity of the uber rich trying to guilt force the poor into giving away money....
There's some analogy about this - charity being poor people in rich countries giving cash to rich people in poor countyires - as in exploding the corruption. Sigh

sassytheFIRST Fri 16-Nov-12 21:43:14

I'm with you haters. Can't bear telethons - the celebs, the newsreaders doing stupid dances, the cuts to starving/beaten/neglected children... The whole thing makes my teeth itch. I can appreciate they do a marvellous job, raise ££££ for good causes etc; just not on my tv.

But now the dds are 10 and 7 and get into it at school - they were filmed singing today - we actually have to watch. Including Girls Not Allowed To Eat. Shudder.

Smudging Fri 16-Nov-12 21:44:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TuftyFinch Fri 16-Nov-12 21:45:44

You are being * very* * unreasonable* and your thread has made me really cross. How sad for you that Eadtenders has been cancelled. FFS.
<veryfuckingcrossface>

TuftyFinch Fri 16-Nov-12 21:46:03

Very

TuftyFinch Fri 16-Nov-12 21:46:31

UNREASONABLE

usualsuspect3 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:47:22

Your dads looking well, Tufty.

TuftyFinch Fri 16-Nov-12 21:49:49

Do you know Usual, he's actually quite knackered at the moment. He'd never hear of not doing it though. He needs to sit down more often.

sassytheFIRST Fri 16-Nov-12 21:50:40

Oh but the last few comments are true - EE is shit. CIN equally so: just worthier.

usualsuspect3 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:50:53

He's a trooper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now