Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To detest children in need?

(198 Posts)
Smeeeinit Fri 16-Nov-12 20:27:18

The show that takes my precious eastenders away from me NOT what it stands for.
The whole terry Wogan/gabby roslin thing makes me want to rip my eyes out ..
I don't need to watch a bunch of non slebs doing shit to know what's happening in the world.
However I do give a good wedge every year... I'm not a total fucker!

Onebadbackandalostpelvicfloor Fri 16-Nov-12 20:51:27

I hate it. Half the 'needy' aren't even what I'd class as in need.

Want to help and genuinely help? Go volunteer or train up as a social worker

somewheresomehow Fri 16-Nov-12 20:51:48

im with u Ileithyia
cant abide being constantly nagged to give money, i bet the so called 'celebs' give sweet f a and feel sooo good because they give their 'precious time' to promote this stuff and prob get paid as well

OnlyWantsOne Fri 16-Nov-12 20:51:55

Primaface did you read and understand the OP?

Smeeeinit Fri 16-Nov-12 20:53:26

primafacie go back and read the op......
To suggest because I dislike a tv prog I also dislike the sentiment is ridiculous.

Smeeeinit Fri 16-Nov-12 20:55:20

onlywantsone girls aloud can sing?! shock

Everlong Fri 16-Nov-12 20:55:58

I give each month to four separate charities that are personal to me.

But I'm sat watching this with my 6 year old ds who has done the whole CIN for school today. For him it helps him understand where his money that he sent in will go to. I don't think that's a bad thing.

kenanddreary Fri 16-Nov-12 20:57:10

We can give to charity/support those in need/show sympathy without having total and utter drivel rammed down our throats all night Primafacie.

carabos Fri 16-Nov-12 20:58:28

YANBU

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ileithyia Fri 16-Nov-12 20:59:22

Everlong I don't think the telethon/event is a bad thing, but the constant "give us more money" thing is arse-clenchingly irritating. We all know what the damned thing is for, can't they just scroll the donation details along the botom of the screen and stop nagging for more money? Raise awareness, yes, prompt people to give a bit to charity, yes, nag me endlessly, fuck off.

Everlong Fri 16-Nov-12 20:59:41

Jesus H Christ.

Girls aloud look frightening.

Anonymumous Fri 16-Nov-12 21:00:10

I detest it for the cries of "I'm going to report you to Children In Need!" every time mother says or does something vaguely unpopular. (Well, actually it was DH who used to do that to his Mum, but I am very mindful of it and I make sure I throw the number away asap whenever the kids come home from school with this wanton propaganda )

AmberLeaf Fri 16-Nov-12 21:00:17

I like the sentiment, but don't watch it ever.

Don't really watch TV these days anyway.

Primafacie Fri 16-Nov-12 21:00:34

Calm down! It was a joke based on the thread title - which suggests the OP actually detests the actual children!

Viviennemary Fri 16-Nov-12 21:02:02

It is more than a little irritating to have multi-millionaires trying to get the general public many of whom are just scraping by, to part with money by total manipulation of emotions. People should boycott this event and give to the charities of their choice.

Smeeeinit Fri 16-Nov-12 21:02:15

primafacie I do indeed detest most children wink

Oblomov Fri 16-Nov-12 21:02:35

Is it on now? If it is, it hadn't exactly been hyped up, has it? Because I didn't know anything about it.

oohlaalaa Fri 16-Nov-12 21:02:40

I dislike children in need. We don't have any spare cash to donate, it's all a guilt trip, and takes up too much of the tv schedule. I don't even find it entertaining.

see my post re Girls Aloud ...grin , and as for those eejets appealing for the hardships of children, angry..[words fail]

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 16-Nov-12 21:03:20

Everlong I haven't watched it for quite some time. The two may well be related!

Onebadbackandalostpelvicfloor Fri 16-Nov-12 21:03:29

Won't somebody think of the children?!

<faints in an am dram styling>

amarylisnightandday Fri 16-Nov-12 21:05:06

I hate it. Guilt lingering to aid voluntary taxation except its worse than the lottery.
I'm neither mean nor uncharitable but I'm v fussy about who/which causes I give money to. I am not obliged to give any of them anything. This is one aspect of the BBC I loathe.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 16-Nov-12 21:05:29

Um primafacie did you read the actual OP or just the title?

amarylisnightandday Fri 16-Nov-12 21:06:05

Vivienne - exactly, exactly that.

amarylisnightandday Fri 16-Nov-12 21:06:59

And this is the reason I love mn. Because we can dare to say this stuff.
I'm tempted to start this thread on net huns.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now