to want animated films with strong female characters for DD to watch?

(103 Posts)

DD is 3.4 and we sometimes sit down and watch films together. She's at the age where she's starting to notice differences between people and characters and isn't very impressed with the 'girls waiting to be rescued' kind of plot that seems to be common. I mentioned this to a friend the other day and she thought I was being daft, that films have nothing to do with how a child views the world as they're "just entertainment". She seemed very amused that I want to find some films with strong female characters. hmm

I'm not BU about this am I? DD adores the Octonauts (and pretends to be Tweak or Kwazii most days), likes Lilo and Stitch, Mulan and Beauty and the Beast (mostly for the teapot I think!). But most other children's films seem to feature girls who need to be rescued (I'm thinking Aladdin, Robin Hood, the traditional fairy tales like Sleeping Beauty and Snow White etc). Am I overthinking this?

Woozley Sat 17-Nov-12 09:54:46

Did I watch a different Princess & the Frog then, the one where she opens a successful restaurant at the end? When did she give up her career? It's a fantastic film!

crocodilesmiles Mon 19-Nov-12 10:07:24

The Forgotten Toys is also quite nice. The rag doll is voiced by Joanna Lumley.

"I also think it's easy to project how we as adults view a film and forget that a child might view it differently."

Well part of the reason I feel strongly about this is that my neice became upset at the age of 3 because she wanted to be a knight or ?fireman? when she grew up and only boys could do those things.

She loves Mulan now but still needs more examples of heroic, brave women who aren't just about romance (and that excludes most Disney films, including Mulan really who of course gets engaged in the end).

Also, Tangled is a terrible film for gender - look at all the things she does with her time! Sewing dresses, painting, reading, dancing with inanimate objects. All fine activities but not exactly gender balanced!

JAne and the Dragon, on the other hand, was a brilliant series.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now