Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to want animated films with strong female characters for DD to watch?

(103 Posts)

DD is 3.4 and we sometimes sit down and watch films together. She's at the age where she's starting to notice differences between people and characters and isn't very impressed with the 'girls waiting to be rescued' kind of plot that seems to be common. I mentioned this to a friend the other day and she thought I was being daft, that films have nothing to do with how a child views the world as they're "just entertainment". She seemed very amused that I want to find some films with strong female characters. hmm

I'm not BU about this am I? DD adores the Octonauts (and pretends to be Tweak or Kwazii most days), likes Lilo and Stitch, Mulan and Beauty and the Beast (mostly for the teapot I think!). But most other children's films seem to feature girls who need to be rescued (I'm thinking Aladdin, Robin Hood, the traditional fairy tales like Sleeping Beauty and Snow White etc). Am I overthinking this?

Spirael Japan Wed 14-Nov-12 13:56:51

How about Anastasia?

Avoid Princess Mononoke from Studio Ghibli - fantastic film but aimed much older. Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Ponyo and Kiki's Delivery Service should all be fine.

MummyPig24 Wed 14-Nov-12 13:57:51

I love Coraline, kids do too. It is a bit creepy though!

JackThePumpkinKing Wed 14-Nov-12 13:58:08

God yes, def avoid Princess Mononoke.

Laputa is brilliant for strong female roles, but perhaps a bit too violent at this age, though I think DS watched it when he was 3.

AndiMac Wed 14-Nov-12 14:01:18

Wall-E is another one to consider. The protagonist is a "male" robot, but the sidekick is a pretty tough and strong "female" robot. Quote marks as they are robots obv, not people, but it still gives the right impression in my opinion.

AndiMac Wed 14-Nov-12 14:01:46

Plus the right age for your DD.

I don't think I've heard of Anastasia either, whose is that?

Oh yes, we have Wall-E!

FlipFlippingFlippers Wed 14-Nov-12 14:02:51

Brave, Tangled, and Mulan are favourites in our house. Toy Story 3 wins every time. Bonnie and Jessie are brilliant characters
and Barbie is good too. Tho my eldest dd insists she is a space ranger and wants to be Buzz Lightyear grin

MrsWolowitz Wed 14-Nov-12 14:03:56

I think Rapunzel in Tangled and Belle in Beauty and the Beast are pretty ballsy. As is Ariel in The Little Mermaid.

I also quite like Jasmine in Aladdin with her refusal to accept forced marriage and the way she won't bow to the skinny baddy.

The girl wolf in Alpha and Omega is a good one too.

MrsWolowitz Wed 14-Nov-12 14:05:36

Oh and another vote for Mulan and Pocahontas.

They're strong female main characters too (both of whom rescue the male characters too).

Isandri Wed 14-Nov-12 14:09:28

The last unicorn. It's an oldie but was "drawn" by Japanese animator and hasn't dated. All the female characters are strong and the men are a bit wimpy and need to be rescued. The ending is definately strong female with no last minute female hero whimping out. Buy it from amazon and make sure you get the 2003 dvd conversion that comes with the English/German language option.
The American studio conversion is poor quality.
the last unicorn

It can be a bit scary for an under 4 so watch it first.

R2PeePoo Wed 14-Nov-12 14:11:45

The new Scooby Doo is awful. Velma chases after Shaggy all the time and is desperate for a relationship. Why can't see just be sarcastic and clever as she was when I was growing up.

DD is older (7) but loves Coraline, Secret of Moonacre, Mulan, Stardust, Wizard of Oz, Labyrinth, Willow, Ella Enchanted, Secret Garden, Josie and the Pussycats,Matilda, Jane and the Dragon etc. Jane and the Dragon is particularly good but it makes my eyes go funny after a while, your DD is probably coming up to the right age for it.

I've got a lot for when she is older including Bring it On, Whale Rider, Akeelah and the Bee, Buffy, Ever After, A League of their own, The Hunger Games and Practical Magic.

R2PeePoo Wed 14-Nov-12 14:16:47

Forgot City of Ember, Inkheart and The Spiderwick Chronicles

fuzzpig Wed 14-Nov-12 14:24:08

I'd assumed my dd (5) was a bit young for anime but I think I'll try some of those suggested on this thread! I love Howl and Spirited Away myself smile

WelshMaenad Wed 14-Nov-12 14:25:09

The three girls in Despicable Me are great, and the girl in Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs.

That's a blast from the past, I think I watched The Last Unicorn when I was a child! The name rings a bell... Something about the waves on the sea...?

<Googles again>

Spirael Japan Wed 14-Nov-12 14:56:39

Anastasia. Not Disney but often mistaken as such. About as historically accurate as most animated kids films, but it's an exciting adventure with good songs and a strong female lead.

Anastasia knows her own mind, does her own thing and ends up defeating the villain herself after her love interest gets rendered unconscious. wink

Might be a bit scary in places, as the villian is basically a walking lich who sold his soul to the devil and now his body is decomposing around him...

FrankSpenser Wed 14-Nov-12 14:57:55

Monsters Vs Aliens
The Secret World of Arrietty (Studio Gibli)
Brave
Chicken Run
Cloudy With....Meatballs
How to Train Dragon
Tigress in Kung Fu Panda (1 + 2)

Spirael Japan Wed 14-Nov-12 15:09:17

Quest for Camelot might be worth a look as well. Kayley is a spirited, independant heroine.

An additional element is that the love interest is (and remains) blind, and the film does a sensitive and reasonable portrayal of this. He's every bit as independant as the heroine!

Pretty standard romp but has some good songs and amusing sidekicks. I haven't watched it for a while, but I don't think it was particularly scary in any places.

pissovski Wed 14-Nov-12 15:20:18

Meg in Hercules is pretty strong most of the time "I'm a damsel, I'm in distress, I can handle it"

WillowFae Wed 14-Nov-12 15:58:38

My two both LOVE Ponyo which is a Studio Ghibli film.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 14-Nov-12 16:34:36

I quite like Enchanted she starts off all dreamy and silly thinking about the plastic prince. She then has her time in New York City discovers what life is about gets Ballsy beats the witch\dragon saves Dr McDreamy and chooses him and his real life. Also love the twist that the Kick Ass Exc. woman ends up falling for plastic prince. Life doesn't always work out like you plan.
Even if you are not the strongest person to start with you can find it within yourself if something is really important.

mnistooaddictive Wed 14-Nov-12 16:39:42

Bizarrely enough the Barbie films are good for this. They always have female leads who solve problems and don't just sit around editing for the prince to save them. They are better than you would think!

60sname Germany Wed 14-Nov-12 17:31:02

The Incredibles is great - starts off very trad 1950s family model and then subverts that. The mum and the daughter are great (and the daughter has some nice non-sappily-told personal growth). (Disclaimer, am child-free so not sure what ages it's suitable for).

Blatherskite Wed 14-Nov-12 17:36:43

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now