to not bathe my nearly 2-year old dd every day?

(65 Posts)
quesadilla Tue 13-Nov-12 21:25:54

that's it really. She hates it, I work full time, sometimes it just doesn't happen. Is there anything wrong with only bathing a child every other day?

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 13-Nov-12 21:27:55

I bathe mine every 2-3 days. Better for their skin and there is no need. make sure all the 'dirty' bits are wiped and clean.

Any reason she hates it?

vvviola Tue 13-Nov-12 21:28:25

I've never bathed my 2 every day. Was specifically told not to when they were small.

Bath every other day - or sometimes every 3rd day blush. Hands face and bottom in between.

SamSmalaidh Tue 13-Nov-12 21:28:26

You only need to bath them when they need it. I usually bath my 2 year old 3-4 times a week.

hairyqueenofscots Tue 13-Nov-12 21:29:08

i dont think so, was told by a consultant dermatologist that its very bad for their skin, 2/3 times a week, unless some really messy play.

mckenzie Tue 13-Nov-12 21:29:27

no!! You must be fairly young yourself smile. I was certainly never bathed every day as a young child - once a week i think and even then it was in the kitchen sink! Seriously. Every other day is more than enough.

pointythings Tue 13-Nov-12 21:29:49

Sounds fine to me. I did bathe mine every day, but only because they loved it and so it was a nice part of the evening routine leading into bedtime. If it's stressful, just don't do it.

Mondaybaby Tue 13-Nov-12 21:29:58

You ANBU. It is probably healthier not to have a bath every day. I used to give dd a bath every day but I have relaxed now and now she baths 5 or 4 times a week. It takes the pressure off a bit, especially when you work.

StripyMagicDragon Tue 13-Nov-12 21:30:15

when they're dirty, wash them. if not, just wash hands and face, babywipe to the bum.

bigkidsdidit Tue 13-Nov-12 21:30:44

I do my nearly 2 year old every other day, and hair even less, unless we've been very messy. that's perfectly fine I think

NorthernChinchilla Tue 13-Nov-12 21:30:57

DS, 11 months, gets one bath a week, top and tail every day.
Like you, I work full time and so getting home I've got time for a bit of play, feeding, etc, and just don't have time.

No-one's complained about the smell yet grin!

Mintyy Tue 13-Nov-12 21:31:16

No of course not!

thebody Tue 13-Nov-12 21:31:31

No of course not. Tbh I did mine every day as they loved it and its easier than sponging but if she hates if then of course not.

threepiecesuite Tue 13-Nov-12 21:31:36

Three times a week here, DD has eczema and plain water aggravates it.

ShallIJustShutUpThen Tue 13-Nov-12 21:40:16

Once a week here for mine blush unless there is a reason for an extra one

Covered in paint, covered in mud or covered in poo are the most common reasons for extra baths grin

MrsMelons Tue 13-Nov-12 21:42:27

No YANBU for some reason people in general have become obsessed with bathing children every night. I did when they were tiny as it helped get them in a routine but now they have various after school activities so we don't always have time and they are not really dirty TBH.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 13-Nov-12 21:46:05

Covered in paint, covered in mud or covered in poo grin Can I add... covered in yogurt, covered in bolognese, indescribable muck in hair?

sweetkitty Tue 13-Nov-12 21:47:21

3 times a week here, 2 with eczema, baths make it worse.

DialsMavis Tue 13-Nov-12 21:49:08

I don't work, DD doesn't have any conditions and she adores the bath..... I don't bath her every day because quite simply, I CBA grin

ShallIJustShutUpThen Tue 13-Nov-12 21:50:11

Indescribable muck in hair? Ah yes, we know it well!

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 13-Nov-12 21:51:48

I think it is a combo of snot, food and drool but who knows?

shartsi Tue 13-Nov-12 21:51:49

2 times a day for mine (3 and 1 year old), morning and night. I shower twice a day too. However if they had skin problems, it would be less frequent.

ShallIJustShutUpThen Tue 13-Nov-12 21:53:08

Shartsi I dread to think what my water bill would be if we all bathed twice a day shock

Are you on a meter?

StetsonsAreCool Tue 13-Nov-12 21:57:17

I work full time too, and my 2yo gets a bath twice a week. Sunday, when me and DH are both home, and Thursday afternoon when DH is off work.

He does both baths anyway, I CBA am not a great fan of getting soaked while sitting next to the bath.

Quadrangle Tue 13-Nov-12 22:02:06

Dermatologists always seem to advise against bathing every day. Twice a week here, unless they get extra dirty. Used to be once a week when i was a child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now