Child modelling, please help !!

(197 Posts)
cutiesmum Sun 11-Nov-12 17:37:49

Hi everyone,

I am totally new to this site so i may not have posted this in the correct place - apologies!
I am also new to child modelling, and would like some advice if possible.

I applied to lots of different child modelling agencies and sent off pics of my daughter. She has so far had a yes from Kitschkids, Bizzikids, Talent Management, Chillikids, Childplay, Scallywags, and Norrie Carr.

Grace and Galor and Bonnie + Betty both said no due to us not living in the London area sad

I have ruled out Bizzikids, Talent management , Scallywags and Childsplay.

I have read lots of reviews about Chillikids, Kitsch Kids and Norrie Carr and they all sound like great agencies.

Does anyone have experience or advice on these three?

I have been researching quite a while and need to make a decision asap so any help or guidence would be great!

Thanks smile

WelshMaenad Sun 11-Nov-12 17:39:25

Or, you could decide not to exploit your child.

Icanhasnickname Sun 11-Nov-12 17:50:28

It seems like you have done an awful lot of research and preparation work for something you will no doubt be telling us is for 'fun' and is your DD's choice??
Would I be right in guessing you are a failed model or something like that, and you are now living through your poor doll, i mean, child.

Agree with Welsh.

Never understood why anyone would want to do that to their DC not matter how beautiful or 'talented'.

Why do you need to decide ASAP surely if they are all so desperate to have her they will be willing to wait? Or are they just wanting your money ASAP.

Did you check out all the zillion other topics - many of them much more suitable to your query - before settling on 'Am I Being Unreasonable'?

Just wondering............as you do

Gigondas Sun 11-Nov-12 17:53:59

Agree with all the others but if you genuinely want to--exploit or live vicariously through your child whilst saying it is fun etc-- there was a child modelling thread on meet ups or somewhere.

Tweasels Sun 11-Nov-12 17:54:54

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

jendot Sun 11-Nov-12 17:55:29

I'm not sure AIBU was a good place for this post- 'we' can be a bit blunt and forthright with our replies in AIBU
I think you may be better in the child modelling threads or on other subjects if you are looking for actual advice on agencies rather than our opinions on child modelling per se!

LadyFlumpalot Sun 11-Nov-12 17:56:13

Ignoring the comments above, I can tell you right now that no reputable agency will charge you a "fee" for you or your child to go in the books. They will also not charge you for casting photos. Any agency that does is a scam.

Modelling is very hard work, I'm a part time photographers model and 28 - I find it gruelling.

Please take a moment to really think if it's what you want for your DC. It will mean dropping everything to rush to castings, having to sit in a cold corridor for hours just to show your portfolio for 3 minutes - and in most cases be turned down.

Please google Alba Models. It's a blog and the site (used) to have an up to data list of the reputable agencies.

I hope this helps!

ilovesooty Sun 11-Nov-12 17:56:49

I think the username says it all. hmm

My son is cuter than your child. Jus' sayin'.

But really, urgently needing help with child modelling? Maybe Google a modelling forum?!

The only name I recognise from your list is Scallywags. I would just google and see what kind of complaints come up. Or repost in a different topic.

DD was on an agency's books some years back - thought it would be a fun and was just horrid really - lots of last minute pressure to pitch up in London, lots of little dolls with ringletted hair and lip gloss. Lasted about 3 castings I think.

Otoh, I know of someone who does it, and they have a lot of good pictures, and treat it like a job from the little I know.

pigletmania Sun 11-Nov-12 18:03:58

I would not post in AIBU as you do get a lot of judginess. Look on te other talk topics, like style and beauty fr more appropriate advice

IneedAgoldenNickname Sun 11-Nov-12 18:21:23

I'm going to ignore the judgy comments, and assume you are genuine.

My friend had a modelling agency DESPERATE to sign her ds1, I think it was scallywags but could be wrong. She paid the fee, then when she took him to have his portfolio shots her childcare for her ds2 let her down so she took him along too. Of course, they were desperate top sign him too, and agreed on a reduced price to sign them both. Ds1 never got any work, and ds2 got all of one job - on asos.com . The parents never made their money back, and decided not to renew the contracts street the first year.

Her sons are gorgeous looking, I'd almost say better looking than mine.

My opinion is that they probably just want to take your money.

GhostShip Sun 11-Nov-12 18:58:47

Let your kids be kids and stop living a dream through them.

They'll have plenty of time working when they're older.

Feminine Sun 11-Nov-12 18:59:41

I was a child model and a fashion model (in London) for 17 yrs.

Never hand over any money. Google the AMA (association of model agents) for a reputable one.

You can only try it. You never know if your child has potential unless you do.

Bear in mind, if your child is at all shy it will be a very difficult thing to pull off!

Good luck.

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 11-Nov-12 19:16:48

Having been a child model and later a normal model.

Just don't, it's very hard work people are out to prey on your parental desire to confirm your child's loveliness and exploit you.

However if your not stupid enough to pay to put your child on someone's books or pay for photos then you may be ok. If you are stupid enough to do so then you don't stand a chance of not being exploited and rinsed.

Try those ghastly pageants instead they are IMHO gross but at least they are honest about it and you are less likely to fall for a con from a none respectable agency

WelshMaenad Sun 11-Nov-12 20:03:05

Yikes, don't try the ghastly pageants. They just make me think if poor little JonBenet Ramsay and induce extreme nausea.

Why can't children just have a childhood? Is that not fashionable any more?

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 11-Nov-12 20:04:17

Me to welsh but at least they are honest about being dreadfull

WelshMaenad Sun 11-Nov-12 20:07:05

I don't know, I think you run the risk of getting sucked into it all and thinking that fake tan and eyelash extensions on three year olds is perfectly normal behaviour. Meep.

fosterdream Sun 11-Nov-12 20:10:38

I get stopped loads with my eldest DD with offers I refuse if she wants to model when she is 16+ I will allow her to but right now I trip to wacky is more fun than in a hot studio!

Fakebook Sun 11-Nov-12 20:11:58

I run a child modelling agency. Just pop £500 in an envelope and send it to:

Cutie Patooties
PO Box 40
London

I'll get your cutie a job!

freddiefrog Sun 11-Nov-12 20:20:38

The only one I've ever heard of on your list is Scallywags.

I was at an event with my littlest DD and someone allegedly acting on Scallywags's behalf approached us as she was 'desperate' to sign her up as they could get her 'so much work'

I made some initial enquiries to see what was what, and then ran a mile. £200+ signing up fee for someone 'desperate' to sign her up? They must think I came down in the last shower

A friend signed up her son with Scallywags around the same time and got 1 job (M&S I think)

OpheliaPayneAgain Sun 11-Nov-12 20:28:29

ooh bitch thread!

Of course without child model agencies you couldn't coo and fart over pampers adverts, or have any M&S party dresses modelled, or indeed cutie little fellas doign a ready brek advert

loveroflife Sun 11-Nov-12 20:40:00

My best friend's dd was accepted by Scallywags and Norrie Carr. They chose NC as Scallywags apparently takes anyone and charge a large joining fee.

NC was half the price (reg fee) whatever they label it as but she said there was just too many kids for too little jobs. She had three auditions in a year, and at each audition there was between 5- 10 other kids from Norrie Carr alone! That's not including all the other agencies.

Her DH pulled the plug as the train journey didn't even get covered - a complete time waster and non starter. The thing is (sorry OP) it's for the parents not the kids. A toddler or baby has not a single scrap of interest in modelling.

Take her to soft play instead, she'll enjoy it a lot more.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now