shopping with baby

(91 Posts)
mlspbrasil Tue 09-Oct-12 19:54:19

Please tell me if I'm wrong, or if I'm over reacting. I was in the middle of my shopping at Benetton, finishing with the fitting room, I had quite a few items, which i was going to exchange, when Nicolas (my 6-month-old son) really needed a nappy change (one of those situations in which the nappy leaks). I asked the lady if I could use an empty corner to quick change him (on the push chair of course) and she said that she was going to ask the manager. Meanwhile, I touched my baby and found out that the situation was worse than i thought, so I didn't even think twice, I just changed him at the back of the changing room. It took me no longer than 3 minutes to do so, but staff members + the supervisor frowned upon me. What do they expect me to do? To simply leave the shop and change my baby in the street? Or drop all my shopping and rush to the nearest Mac Donald's? I didn't enter the shop to change my baby in the first place, it just happened. I'm a costumer, I was actually going to buy 2 coats and 2 dresses, but they don't give a damn about it, because I'm just one more person in Oxford St. I complained to the manager, but she shrugged her shoulders saying this was against the shop policy. To me this is disgraceful - no common sense, no solidarity.

PuffPants Tue 09-Oct-12 21:43:16

Sounds like you were being a bit self-righteous about it all. Not to mention grim and anti-social.

Would you poo in your handbag in the corner of Benetton just because you really, really needed to?

For future reference, John Lewis have baby-change facilities as do Mamas and Papas, virtually across the road from Benetton.

GoldShip Tue 09-Oct-12 21:43:45

In fact Scary I've just done some reading up and its not true. I think the reasoning behind it was probably the idea that the bacteria could become immune from using it a lot? Isnt true though.

Daft thing for them to have told you, I had to use it at least 10 times in an hour.

fedupofnamechanging Tue 09-Oct-12 21:45:48

Must admit that after 4 babies, I am kind of immune to the smell of baby poo - unless it just feels different with your own, rather than other peoples babies.

I do see that other people might be more sensitive to it though.

mummyonvalium Tue 09-Oct-12 21:47:44

I would not have done it in the changing rooms. Surely it would only have taken a minute for the manager to come back and then you would have probably been able to change it in the toilet.

ScaryBOOAlot Tue 09-Oct-12 21:49:14

I queried it first time I was told and was snapped at. Double checked second time, with different facilitator, and was told the same thing.

If its not true I'll take it back, but it was made out that I was bloody stupid for not knowing, so presumed since it was common knowledge that I had just missed out on grin

larks35 Tue 09-Oct-12 21:50:02

YANBU to change your baby in the pushchair and I know about the explosions that need instant changing. The smell would have been there whether you changed him or not so I don't really get why so many other posters seem to think YWU.

However, I'm not really sure why you complained to the manager. If I had subjected a shop to my beloved DC's poo smells, I would be apologising, not complaining. They can't stop you changing your baby's nappy in your own pushchair but you can't blame them for turning their nose away at the smell!

musttidyupmusttidyup Tue 09-Oct-12 21:50:03

What a load of fus over nothing. I'll change nappies pretty much anywhere and everywhere and would just give a big grin at anyone giving me a dirty look. Hardly crime of the century.

musttidyupmusttidyup Tue 09-Oct-12 21:50:19

fuss

GoldShip Tue 09-Oct-12 21:54:29

scary thats really weird how they both thought the same thing! I honestly am trying to think how it'd work. Thats like saying soap and water only works five times a day too.

I'm going to check with my tutor tomorrow, she teaches Health and Safety and Infection Control so I'm sure she'll know..
dont want it coming up later on in some module and me not knowing ha

PuffPants Tue 09-Oct-12 21:55:15

Have just read the part about how someone frowned at you and you complained to the manager!

Good lord - you sound very entitled!

ScaryBOOAlot Tue 09-Oct-12 22:05:22

Goldship, can you let me know what she says? I'm interested now.

My mum also got told the same thing (she works in a care home).

GoldShip Tue 09-Oct-12 22:20:46

Will do!

I've done some research into it just and all I can find along those lines is someone asking if its true on Yahoo answers and they've been told no

ceeveebee Tue 09-Oct-12 22:32:36

If the antibac only works 5 times a day then why do hospitals insist you use it on entering certain wards eg NICU, cancer wards etc- surely they would insist on hand washing instead if it didn't always work? I used to go in and out of DDs room many more than 5 times a day when she was in NICU.

ceeveebee Tue 09-Oct-12 22:34:44

Anyway back to the topic - I would not change a dirty nappy in a pushchair, would be too scared of getting poo all over the seat. And I would have left the shop to change it. For future reference, Mamas and Papas is just behind Oxford Circus station and they have a cafe with excellent facilities as does Marks and Spencer a bit further down the road.

GoldShip Wed 10-Oct-12 16:01:41

I asked my tutor today who laughed and said it's 'utter codswallop' and she doesn't understand how anyone could teach someone that when there's no scientific background in it at all.
Biology teacher who was there said the same.

I'm really interested to know where your trainers got it from scary, and why they think that confused

Nancy66 Wed 10-Oct-12 16:14:39

You do not have the right to change a shitty nappy anywhere you please.

i've seen people doing it on tables in restaurants.

got to the fucking toilet - in the case of the OP - she should have found the nearest one

puddock Wed 10-Oct-12 16:24:48

http://www.nct.org.uk/about-nct/nct-babychange-app is v useful if you have an iphone, and there's an android version coming next month apparently.

CookingFunt Wed 10-Oct-12 16:30:57

YABU and rude.

katese11 Wed 10-Oct-12 16:39:09

Hey OP

Haven't read the other replies but if it's the Bennetton on Oxford Circus itself, you have three options nearby- toilets on first floor of BHS, basement of Topshop or a changing room in first floor of Mamas and Papas. No obligation to buy anything in any of those. Not judging, just an FYI for next time smile

ScaryBOOAlot Wed 10-Oct-12 16:49:21

Gold - thanks for that! Am seeing my supervisor tomorrow so will ask for that to be passed on.

Also means I can stop freaking out a bit more, so you've saved my anxiety, ta! grin

Wheresmypopcorn Wed 10-Oct-12 16:58:02

Eh? Don't see what's wrong with this - baby was in the pushchair after all.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 10-Oct-12 17:07:35

You can't wash shit off your hands with antibacterial gel...

ScaryBOOAlot Wed 10-Oct-12 17:10:12

Just reading that is making me want to scrub at my hands!!

KenLeeeeeee Wed 10-Oct-12 17:14:09

YABU to have made the rest of the customers and staff deal with smelling the contents of your baby's nappy. Would it really have been so traumatic to ask the staff to keep the items you wanted to buy to one side while you found a toilet/baby changing room to change his nappy? I would be really unimpressed as a consumer if I went to try on clothes in a room that had a lingering smell of poo about it.

And where did you wash your hands afterwards? <boak>

CookingFunt Wed 10-Oct-12 17:21:16

Poo smell lingers popcorn and the OP just went ahead and changed the nappy instead of waiting a minute or so for the manager.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now