To be furious that Osborne wants to remove the right to request flexible working?

(130 Posts)
PreciousPuddleduck Tue 09-Oct-12 15:10:05

I am so so angry about this. Have these b*stards any idea how hard it is to be a working mum, the exorbitant cost of childcare etc, constant rise in cost of living coupled with drop in income and lack of job security.
It has put me off my lunch angry
Will probably need wine later

domesticgodless Tue 09-Oct-12 19:14:16

agree wannabe but he subscribes to the same BS on the whole. Just with less added sociopathy.

Novack I don't think I'd feel much like cooperating with a company whose 'cooperation' consisted of an increased ability to sack me easily and a refusal to train me. F* that.

Thing is, once this becomes legal it will become a standard type of job offer. Your job will be on those terms or sod off and claim benefit. Which will become unavailable soon.

pointythings Tue 09-Oct-12 19:15:14

Yes, Novack but what Osborne is talking about isn't the John Lewis model...

As I understand it, companies which are set up after this is brought in, will be able to offer employment conditional upon the employee waiving their rights in exchange for shares. So basically "We won't give you the job unless you give up your employment rights for our shares."

I have words, but they would get this post deleted.

breadandbutterfly Tue 09-Oct-12 19:16:26

This isn't the cooperative model.

breadandbutterfly Tue 09-Oct-12 19:17:37

Also, please note the link I posted - THIS LAW WILL ENABE COMPNIES TO PAY NO TAX.

NovackNGood Tue 09-Oct-12 19:17:43

So no different than anyone who every went to work for a start up and took lower wages with the possibility of a larger pay out to come if they did a good job and created a viable enterprise.

domesticgodless Tue 09-Oct-12 19:20:09

Startups do not deprive employees of their rights, Novack.

cogitosum Tue 09-Oct-12 19:20:53

The current right to request flexible working is shit anyway (not excusing him btw) companies can easily refuse on a number of grounds. My company is always refusing and from a legal standpoint they're fine (morally is a whole different issue sad )

Iggly Tue 09-Oct-12 19:20:56

YANBU

I've come to the conclusion that those who've never had to really work hard or struggle have not got a fucking clue.

They see everything in simpleton terms. Workers are just resources, the poor are poor because they're just shit. Forgetting of course that they were born with silver spoons shoved up their arses'in their mouths so they did fuck all themselves to earn that cushion aka trust fund.

Bastards.

WilsonFrickett Tue 09-Oct-12 19:21:48

But Novack, if you go to work for a start up, you may negotiate wages with the promise of bonus/shares whatever to come, but you are still protected by the law. You can't be discriminated against because of your sex, you have the right to maternity and paternity leave, you have all your rights and the start up has to treat you a certain way, according to the law. It's not the same at all.

Iggly Tue 09-Oct-12 19:22:08

And it's better for productivity to treat your staff well.

<rages>

cogitosum Tue 09-Oct-12 19:22:30

Oh and yanbu

Iggly Tue 09-Oct-12 19:22:53

Finally, what the fuck has this policy got to do with austerity? It won't create growth?!

Man alive.

NovackNGood Tue 09-Oct-12 19:23:23

Neither does this plan. It is a choice for the employee to take.

I'm surprised this is the issue you are making a tory bashing thing rather than giving praise for the decisions that 2 sexual offences will mean an automatic life sentence in the future under the tories. The blind hatred for the tories by the minority on here is lame.

Viviennemary Tue 09-Oct-12 19:24:28

I'm not sure what this up in arms is all about. A lot of people don't have flexible working now and didn't have flexible working under the last Labour goverment. I think this giving up rights in exchange for shares is total madness. Surely nobody in their right minds is going to do that.

DP was reading about our George last night.

His mother is a Lady. Real world? I think not.

I dont think any of the choices are particularly attractive for the next election. But Ed might just be tolerable.

NovackNGood Tue 09-Oct-12 19:26:44

Elitist Ed is a comedy character and will be ousted long before 2015 if Labour party members have any sense what so ever.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 09-Oct-12 19:28:23

Novack and Vivienne, it isn't a choice for new employees - the company can make it a condition of employment (of course, if you have an alternative job offer, you may be lucky enough to still have a choice)

catgirl1976 Tue 09-Oct-12 19:28:32

Not all companies will take this up

I am watching with interest to see how they will react as they seem to hate the idea of employee rights about as much as they hate the idea of giving employees shares

The other policies they are talking about eg two sexual offences or the burglar bashing, are things which may or may not affect people.

This nonsense about employment rights will affect everyone. As will cuts to benefits. You might think it doesnt if you have a nice well paid secure job now. But everyone is only a few steps away from job losses and dole queues.

WilsonFrickett Tue 09-Oct-12 19:33:33

It's just so ... distasteful. Right to equal pay? Sell it. Right to paid time off after having a child? Sell it. Nasty, nasty, nasty.

NovackNGood Tue 09-Oct-12 19:37:15

It is a choice you sign the contract and take the job or you don't. No different to what people have been doing for decades about taking ex pat jobs etc.

There are plenty of folks who would like to work a few hours extra in etc. but are barred from doing so by strict weekly hours limits who would be glad to sign away those rights for the opportunity to do a bit more now and them as needs must and get a reward of company shares and a voice in the company structure. This is not much different to the workers councils in many unionised workplaces across europe.

domesticgodless Tue 09-Oct-12 19:38:50

I think you'll find you're the minority here Novack.

I'd rather see my taxes spent on improving employee protections than on banging up offenders for showy life sentences. Oh, and your lot just introduced the right to shoot burglars! My, how the standard of UK living will rise!

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 09-Oct-12 19:39:20

Wilson TBF those aren't the proposals.

domesticgodless Tue 09-Oct-12 19:39:42

total BS Novack.

You can already sign out of the Working Time Directive, how the heck do you think lawyers and doctors stay in work.

They are only making it ok to shoot burglars because they are fearing for their mansions incase the dreadful poor people turn to crime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now