To be furious that Osborne wants to remove the right to request flexible working?

(130 Posts)
PreciousPuddleduck Tue 09-Oct-12 15:10:05

I am so so angry about this. Have these b*stards any idea how hard it is to be a working mum, the exorbitant cost of childcare etc, constant rise in cost of living coupled with drop in income and lack of job security.
It has put me off my lunch angry
Will probably need wine later

breadandbutterfly Tue 09-Oct-12 18:03:53

See:

www.newstatesman.com/blogs/economics/2012/10/osbornes-employee-owner-plan-beecroft-through-back-door

This exaplains that actually the policy is a double whammy - not only do employees get to lose all their rights for shares of dubious ie possible no va;lue, but it also means that companies can earn unlimited amounts tax-free - most small companies have owners who are 'employed' by the company for tax reasons (but obviously do not fear redundancy etc as it' their own company) who will now be able to own their company through tax-free shares - so no rights for employees AND nor tax for employers! angry

Don't fucking let them get away with this. angry

bread
Thanks for the link. It will be interesting to see what it finally looks like when it gets to parliament (if it gets to parliament).

CookingFunt Tue 09-Oct-12 18:31:51

Oh I'm sure there will be unwed mother's homes for single parents where your illegitimate offspring is taken from you and given to a nice married couple who can raise it properly.
And whilst we're at it we'll end this whimsy of educating girls to degree level. No husband will want to feel emasculated by his wife.
We seem to be re-entering 1950s in a sneaky,sly underhand way. Makes me so growly and stabby.

digerd Tue 09-Oct-12 18:36:13

Be realistic. There are some jobs that cannot work doing flexitime, and others that work very well. Employers cannot be forced to create flexitime jobs to suit personal circumstances whatever the reason. In the 70s, we had so called flexi-time, but that was limited to 7.45-9.30-am start for 8 hours, plus allowing us to have lunch while working to add to the 8 hours required. But there was no part-time. However, there was one lady, who went sick with a medical certificate for every school holday duration, she was " tackled" but she stood her ground saying she had a medical certificate and they could do nothing, and that was a branch of the civil service - DHSS as it was called then, not a private employer running a business. And there was much less unemployment then anyway.

domesticgodless Tue 09-Oct-12 18:39:06

cookingfunt it will be the 1950s all over again BUT without the living wage thing or the jobs thing. That's the real whammy.

We will start seeing lots of children wandering the streets in dirty clothes again though just like in the good old days.

Exexe Tue 09-Oct-12 18:41:01

No employers are forced to create flexitime jobs but many companies do because its good for their image at the moment. Once there's no positives around it, they'll all stop.

It's the giving up a lot of employers rights that angered me.

From the BBC website;

The new owner-employee contract allows owners to award shares worth up to £50,000 to their staff, in return for the employee giving up their unfair dismissal, redundancy and training rights and also the right to ask for flexible working.

TheLightPassenger Tue 09-Oct-12 18:41:18

but if a job isn't workable with flexible hours, the company/organisation can deny the flexible work request under current legislation anyway.

Meglet Tue 09-Oct-12 18:45:06

Yanbu. I'm going to say what I've said before about George and his silly friends, 'the government is trying to kill off single parents'. They're making single parents work, taking more money off us and considering taking away flexible working. The mind fucking boggles.

But <snurk> to the Monty Burns comparison, they so are aren't they. angry sad

I asked DH about this - he's involved in Unison locally - and he thinks that they won't be able to do this, or to stop people going to a tribunal for unfair dismissal Osbourne's other stunner It's enshrined in EU law and isn't a bit we can opt out of.

nightowlmostly Tue 09-Oct-12 18:48:02

It really seems it's another way of targeting the poor. If my work offered me 2k worth of shares in exchange for my rights I'd tell them to sod off, because I earn enough that it wouldn't be worth it to me. If someone is on minimum wage though, or has debts maybe, then they might well be tempted to do it. So you'll have a situation where the poor are afforded less rights than the rest of the population.

I do also think that the attack on flexible working is a way of targeting women. I hate the tories anyway, always have, but the things they are doing are really making me angry. And sad, because I can't help thinking they're going to get away with it, and be re-elected to boot! So depressing.

CookingFunt Tue 09-Oct-12 18:49:01

domestic as I recall the good old days weren't actually that good. I'm sure there will be a chimney for those street urchins to sweep.

Do they not realise the poverty that people will be plunged into? Do they not realise that the cost of living must come down,otherwise they will get employment blackspots (most notably places of high numbers of working class and lower middle class) where the cost of living outstrips a wage due to childcare,where women who have recently given birth returning to the workplace without having fully recovered for financial reasons,where workers have less holidays and burn out quicker.

Coprolite Tue 09-Oct-12 18:50:13

YANBU.
But it's no less than I expected when this excuse of a government took over.

CookingFunt Tue 09-Oct-12 18:51:19

night They might give us lessons in how to perfectly lay a table,apply lipstick and make our own frocks.

CookingFunt Tue 09-Oct-12 18:52:18

And our teacher will be Samantha Brick!

The flexible working is a red herring. Its already very easy for companies to refuse. And many do.

Its the unfair dismissal and redundancy rights which are of most concern to me.

And the fact its being dressed up as A Good Thing by this talk of shares is insulting.

If a company you own shares in is having to make you redundant its not very likely its shares will be worth anything anyway.

Do they think we will fall for this shit?

CookingFunt Tue 09-Oct-12 18:58:21

I wonder would they like to join us in the real world now where companies are not so noble and upstanding and where people are literally living hand to mouth (and sometimes not).
I'm so worn out by their crap.

domesticgodless Tue 09-Oct-12 18:59:46

wannabe even the Daily Mail comments on it were overwhelmingly negative.

The government are utterly clueless except for one thing: they know how to divide and rule.

They know that an awful lot of people despise the poor and hate the idea of anyone getting 'something for nothing'. They also know that most of the population have no bloody idea what's really coming in the next few decades. It's going to make the worst years of the 70s and 80s look like Happy Days.

They will win votes entirely on the politics of the Three Minute Hate and that is why I agree they may get in again.

On that day I may be permanently out of service due to booze. I haven't drunk in a while either.

CookingFunt Tue 09-Oct-12 19:01:15

I might just join you domestic .

domesticgodless Tue 09-Oct-12 19:02:01

cookingfunt they do not give the proverbial sh*t about poverty.

They believe in a firm division between the inadequate poor and the 'real' people (them). They think that the North is a foreign country full of flat-cap-doffing shirkers and that anyone who cannot afford a child and the full insurance policy to ensure that said child will never require a penny of state aid in its life does not deserve to be able to feed that child.

they want us to be able to 'compete' with China by creating a 'lean and hungry' (eg desperate) population who will literally do anything for any slavedriving employer.

cornsconkers Tue 09-Oct-12 19:02:25

is this definitely being brought in?
I hate Osborne and I hate IDS even more angry

domesticgodless Tue 09-Oct-12 19:03:17

I think there will be a massive epidemic of Mother's Ruin on the next election day, I may also have to spend the entire campaign season drunk as well as i can't stand the sight of Ed Miliband capitulating to the same old tired 'responsibility' rhetoric.

I dont particularly like Ed Miliband.

But he doesnt come across as toxic as DC and GO.

WilsonFrickett Tue 09-Oct-12 19:09:53

I had employee shares in RBS. Lots of them.

Won't be making that mistake again.

So in theory I now have to give up my rights in exchange for more meaningless bits of paper? I think not.

HiHowAreYou Tue 09-Oct-12 19:10:00

And he announced it with "Workers of the world unite"? It's a joke to him!

NovackNGood Tue 09-Oct-12 19:10:10

The cooperative model of company ownership works very well and has proven to be successful in many differing markets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now