To think (hope) Eastenders portrayal of social services (Lexi & Lola story) is wrong?

(346 Posts)
MoonlightShadows Fri 05-Oct-12 20:10:47

I am watching it at the moment and am finding the Lexi/Lola storyline quite disturbing, I can't imagine social services really carry on like this and think it's an unfair portrayal.

Sargesaweyes Fri 05-Oct-12 20:37:53

Sobbing at this pile of rubbish. Obviously Phil will now some how end up with the baby! Poor Lola sad

freddiefrog Fri 05-Oct-12 20:38:44

@ Chickydo - I'm not watching it, but a social worker cant just walk into a house and take a child. They have to get a court order

MoonlightShadows Fri 05-Oct-12 20:38:51

They should be thoroughly ashamed, it worries me the amount of people who might take it seriously and not seek the help they need

DeenaDee Fri 05-Oct-12 20:39:13

Bawled my eyes out - and yes, I am a sw - and sadly this sort of thing (not quite so extreme) does happen. Some SW have dreadful boundaries ......

LST Fri 05-Oct-12 20:39:31

I've just broke down at that. It's really upset me. sad

MoonlightShadows Fri 05-Oct-12 20:40:13

DeenaDee - Really??!! Wouldn't it take a group decision?!

Joiningthegang Fri 05-Oct-12 20:41:36

Moonlight - yes and a court order

WelshMaenad Fri 05-Oct-12 20:42:24

They can't take a child without a court order.

They are also legally obliged to exhaust all possibilities of the child being cared for by a relative, before placing with foster Carers.

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 05-Oct-12 20:42:28

deena, i have it in my head that shes a ex sw gone crazy. or am i just really hoping?

some years ago a client of mine had a sw like that dreadful woman but she was dismissed, i thought the safeguards were better these days

shittingit Fri 05-Oct-12 20:44:37

In all my years of working alongside children's services I have never met a SW like the one portrayed. Sure, there are some that have been in the job far too long than they should have been, but no one so blatant and judgy, never known it to be so easy to take a baby away either, EE got it so wrong.

dannibanni85 Fri 05-Oct-12 20:45:18

I am a health visitor and work very closely with social workers and they are nothing like eastenders are trying to make out. This is a really worrying story line as it is going to make parents very worried about social services. The way that social worker reacts in the programme terrible. There is nothing wrong with the way poor lola is trying to care for her baby and a little bit of a messy house does not make you a bad parent.

DeenaDee Fri 05-Oct-12 20:46:00

There are supposed to be "team meetings" - sometimes you get a nutter who will act as an a lone gun in the name of child protection ( I was certified/living in the usa) I do hope that this is unrealistic for the uk (or anywhere) but it made me sick to my stomach

amillionyears Fri 05-Oct-12 20:47:01

DeenaDee,yes I thought that was the case.
Quite rare i think,but nonetheless true.

effingwotsits Fri 05-Oct-12 20:51:24

Wasn't lexi taken because Lola had been arrested and billy was deemed to "drunk" to care for her sad. Awfully upsetting and agreed Lola was wonderful in the role.

DeenaDee Fri 05-Oct-12 20:52:57

From judiciary.gov.uk:

Orders
An Emergency Protection Order allows the local authority to remove the child from where he or she is living or to prevent removal, for example from a hospital or a foster home. Execptionally, these orders can be made without telling the parents or carers, first. The Order can only last for 8 days but it can be extended for up to 7 days. An EPO can only be made where this is necessary for a child's welfare and there is no other way to ensure this . In most cases an emergency protection order will be followed by care proceedings

Fairy130389 Fri 05-Oct-12 20:55:32

Hi all, I'm glad to see that people here have the same views as me.
I am a social worker, firstly, yes Lola would probably have been monitored, as she was on tag and a care leaver, however, the job of a social worker is to support and encourage parents to enable them to look after their children effectively, of course ensuring they are safe first and foremost, but obviously, the best place for the child is usually with their parent. It really annoys me that Eastenders paints SS in such a bad light - it happened first with Roxy having Amy just taken and put with Jack, and now with Lola - if I was her social worker I would be commending her efforts and being supportive! Not making snidy comments about washing up. Also - I'm not sure how her case load is so small but I have way too many people to look after to be at somebody's house day in day out!!!!

I find it completely irresponsible that they broadcast these story lines - we get a bad enough reputation as it is without the BBC jumping on the bandwagon!!!

x

athenie Fri 05-Oct-12 20:56:37

im sorry but this eastenders storyline is very acurate. i have been involved with a family who are very nice and caring with there family was put in a horrible council estate by the council for a year and the kids next door had asbos and was being anti social and social did nothing as they was scared of them yet the parents that do care for there children do get picked on as there easy targets. you cant have dirty dishes in the sink otherwise they think your a bad parent even childrens toys around the house is untidy to socail services, you cant show any tpye of negative emotions otherwise your depressed. this episode does show the truth of social services. they only care about the child even tho the adult has to care for the child therefore they need to make sure the adult is coping to be able to lok after said child. theres not even enough info online about the bad times with them its all very hush hush but there are bad social services and good ones as it depends on the area you go to which is very disapointing it should be universal with all departments

TidyGOLDDancer Fri 05-Oct-12 20:57:30

I'm afraid my experience of SWs (note: I'm not saying ALL SWs, just a few I've encountered), is that they are ineffectual, with no idea how to prioritise cases.

I've sadly been witness to a situation where IMO the baby should've been removed and the parents at the very least given guidance and strict supervision. Instead the SW walked into the house (which I would be kind to describe as a shithole), told the parents she had seen worse and the baby was well cared for. This was not only wildly incorrect, but it was so incorrect that the SW was either blind with no sense of smell, or fucking lazy and not wanting to file another case. And just to garnish shit with shit sprinkles, she exposed the details of the anonymous report to the parents of the child.

So no, I have to say that in my experience of SWs, I can't say that I saw any element of realism in the Lola/Lexi storyline. It was heartbreaking and ridiculously inaccurate.

The actress that plays Lola is bloody excellent though.

DeenaDee Fri 05-Oct-12 20:58:06

Fairy - I totally agree with you. It is worrying that people who might wish to seek help will now be too scared to in case they lose custody - the BBC really needs to sort this!

inlawsareasses Fri 05-Oct-12 20:59:13

I'm a cp social worker and if it was that easy me and my colleagues would not have so many sleepless nights! Unless the mother signs a section 20 ( voluntary accommodation) then either an epo (emergency protection order) or an interim care order would need to be gained from court. Both include proving to the court that the child is at risk of significant harm if left in the care of its parent, both are not easy to gain!! Eastenders should do there research before they broadcast unrealistic shite!

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 05-Oct-12 21:01:07

the sw i refered to before, removed the child of a young woman with no real reason (dv case ex partner in prison mum cooperating compleatly) lied and was highly respected and practicly given free reign obviously denyed it

well untill she featured on video proving what every other agency involved was saying. it was over 10 years ago she was sacked (after a fashion).

and i have never come across one like that since or before for that matter, she seriously was rogue. thats why i think she may not be real (obviously shes an actor but you know what i mean)

GrasshopperNchipmunk Fri 05-Oct-12 21:03:48

Errr the police can remove a child without a court order...

athenie Fri 05-Oct-12 21:06:30

this is only because there is not enough evidence on the web to show what happens, yes the social worker proberly wouldnt of mentioned the dirty dishes but they would have it in there case notes, and gather enough evidence to put forward a case, social workers care only on the child but parents need the help they need the sw to give them the support and guidance, even with the bbc programme they aired about sw on the job yet you did not see one time they went okay well get you a cleaner to tiody this house as i can see your a bit down with the state of the house and help you with how to maintain a house. these services need to be offered to help parents as some people dont have a mum and a dad to show them how to maintain a housewhole they need to be taugh

cbeebiesatemybrain Fri 05-Oct-12 21:06:36

I was going to start a thread about this. That was horrific to watch, I was in tears. It was totally unbelievable, I think they've been really irresponsible with their inaccuracy. I also think that in light of recent events in the news this really shouldn't have been shown.

inlawsareasses Fri 05-Oct-12 21:07:31

Very rarely do the police use their powers and still the social worker would need to go to court quickly to gain an ico.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now