To think innocent until proven guilty

(33 Posts)
kim147 Thu 04-Oct-12 18:24:20

Doesn't apply anymore in this age of social media?

The suspect in this abduction may or may not be guilty. I don't know. But this level of scrutiny, comments and speculation is just incredible. I really hope they find April. But I am concerned that "due process" is being damaged by all this speculation. It bears a remarkable similarity to the case of the man who was arrested and vilified in the media in that murder case but was found to be innocent. By then the damage had been done.

grovel Thu 04-Oct-12 19:08:53

I'll go with KatieScarlett provided that the police are unequivocal in their apologies if this man is not guilty. They too often find it hard to apologise when they get something wrong for all the best motives.

Look, if it's not him we'll know about it soon enough. Just like in the Jo case.

Once the man was exonerated in the Jo case, he received great sympathy for what he went through, as he should.

I still prefer to trust in Police procedure when it comes to a child's life.

Only read op but I guess as I've never seen the police (rather than the press)release a photo of a suspect in a case like this (I don't mean unidentified suspects on cctv pictures) in guessing they are pretty sure they have their man.

But I understand what you mean, I am thinking of the caretaker with the woman who went missing around Christmas (Joanne?!)

bureni Thu 04-Oct-12 18:50:39

Monkey , you can be locked up in N.I without charge or conviction, a bit like minority report via the diplock court system, thousands of people have been.

McHappyPants2012 Thu 04-Oct-12 18:49:59

I hope April is found soon, she needs medication for cerebral palsey sad

I to belive in innocent before being convicted as guilty, i haven't give much thought to the man who has been arrested, my thoughts are with April's friends and family who are going through hell.

ptiger Thu 04-Oct-12 18:48:00

I hope the Police are right, because if they are wrong, how much time will have been wasted in the search for her as well as a man's life probably ruined. The longer this goes on the more people speculate they could be.

monkeysbignuts Thu 04-Oct-12 18:47:23

burnei not without reasonable doubt, you only have x amount of hours before you have to release the person,the courts extended the time so they must have some pretty good information on him.

mayorquimby Thu 04-Oct-12 18:47:14

"As I keep saying - that wasn't just the media. Many MNers had him hung, drawn and quartered in 50 posts too, all because he didn't 'look' right."

The amount of posters who were claiming to have "never been wrong" when it came to just not feeling right about a person was equal parts scary and laughable.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 04-Oct-12 18:46:17

"What happens to him then?"

Those are the risks the police will have had to weigh up. A law-suit for defamation of character, a prejudiced trial or the slim chance of returning a little kid alive to her family. Which would you go for?

LineRunner Thu 04-Oct-12 18:45:18

It's about anyone thinking of any place, any space, any address, any barn, anywhere, where they might recall the suspect ever going to or knowing about.

monkeysbignuts Thu 04-Oct-12 18:44:43

wrt kids the more info public have and the quicker the better chance of this little girl being discovered. with each day that passes I worry its too late sad

The Police know what they are doing.

I'm not about to start second guessing them when I don't have the info they have.

bureni Thu 04-Oct-12 18:44:34

Lets face it, you can be locked up in the U.K without being convicted or even charged.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 04-Oct-12 18:44:29

The Jimmy Saville case is slightly different. The whole thing was to publicise a TV programme and it has certainly succeeded. He has no right of reply and no recourse to justice because you can't slander or libel the dead. So it's 'safe' speculation if you like because all that suffers is a dead man's reputation...

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Thu 04-Oct-12 18:43:49

I know what you're saying Line and i hope to god they find her safe and well, but what if they have it wrong and he is nothing to do with it.

What happens to him then?

My thoughts are with her family.

monkeysbignuts Thu 04-Oct-12 18:43:14

it depends on circumstances imo. In the case of j savile a number of girls have got very similar storys.
I think now days though people do have a guilty till proven otherwise attitude.

LemarchandsBox Thu 04-Oct-12 18:42:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 04-Oct-12 18:42:18

Exactly Linerunner.... This little girl has been missing for several days and, as each day passes, the chances of finding her alive diminish. It's a race against time therefore, the police haven't the luxury of worrying about prejudicing the trial and they have opted to release details of the suspect. Normally there would be a name at best and the rest would not be publicised. So it's not media dirt-digging or MN tricoteuses deciding he doesn't 'look right', the public is actively being asked to help.

kim147 Thu 04-Oct-12 18:41:30

I know that - but it's all the speculation at the same time. People are talking about every single part of his life in threads.

LineRunner Thu 04-Oct-12 18:38:49

The police are trying to find a child.

kim147 Thu 04-Oct-12 18:38:11

It's the social media - Twitter, Facebook and even MN. You've only got to look at the threads on here.

Same with Jimmy Saville.

Yes - it is good to get information but there is so much speculation and character assassination on the social media.

LineRunner Thu 04-Oct-12 18:37:26

I believe a suspect's face might be released, for example, when someone might know the location of a lock-up or shed used by the suspect where an abducted child might be found.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 04-Oct-12 18:36:35

This case is completely different to the Bristol case. The police have actively produced a lot of very specific information about this man because they have a deliberate purpose in publicising the details. It is not the media digging dirt

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Thu 04-Oct-12 18:35:32

YANBU, i can't believe his name and face has been released to the public.

If he has done something wrong then fair enough, but at the moment he is innocent.

Pancake is right it can destroy lives and is very dangerous.

Feenie Thu 04-Oct-12 18:34:18

As I keep saying - that wasn't just the media. Many MNers had him hung, drawn and quartered in 50 posts too, all because he didn't 'look' right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now