Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that the union flag does not need to be on everything

(57 Posts)
workshy Thu 17-May-12 22:11:25

now I know it's the olympics this year but surely union flags do not need to be printed on every single product

I mean, they are on pampers ffs???

Saltire Thu 17-May-12 22:12:59

My local asda is selling st georges cross flags - under the heading "olympic and Jubilee flags

GretaGip Thu 17-May-12 22:15:26

I'm a bit hmm over EVERY SINGLE Food Magagine Cover having a cheescake type thing with blueberries and strawberries in guess which pattern on?

Could things be any less imaginative?

ReelAroundTheFountain Thu 17-May-12 22:21:00

I think its quite funny. I'm planning to build a collection of the most ridiculous placing of flag on unrelated item for dh's birthday.

Current favourites;
telephone (with cord - who has these confused)
kitchen scales
dog coat

I think retailers are delighted that the jubilee and Olympics are coinciding - there'll be union jacks at every turn for the next 4 months grin

Aribura Thu 17-May-12 22:58:25

YABU it's not often we get to be proud of that flag, fly it high in my opinion! :D

workshy Thu 17-May-12 23:00:08

on a baby's bottom???? really???

EmmaNemms Thu 17-May-12 23:25:00

All over food packaging as well? What makes sausages particularly patriotic? It's getting on my nerves a bit too.

WorraLiberty England Thu 17-May-12 23:31:31

Lol someone started a thread about this the other day and I think the general consensus was the OP was BU.

I like seeing it everywhere (yes even babies butts!) grin

I bought a packet of 'Queensmill' bread today instead of Kingsmill

toofattorun Thu 17-May-12 23:45:23

I've said it before and I'll say it again - stop being such fucking miserable bastards!

5318008 Thu 17-May-12 23:46:57

lolo at Queensmill bread, tres amusant to my little brain

JosephineCD Thu 17-May-12 23:48:26

I noticed they are doing a special Union Jack Marmite, called Ma'amite.

Olympia2012 Thu 17-May-12 23:52:19

It's also Wimbledon AND euro 2012.... So lots going on sports wise too

I'm stocking up on pimms and keeping the bunting up all summer long... If you can't beat em!

IvanaNap Thu 17-May-12 23:58:54

Active fit, right?
Seems rather un-patriotic given that they are weed and pooed in, eh?

Well DS loves it, they did jubilee stuff at nursery and he was sooo excited walking round the supermarket spotting flags on everything...

We will be camping soon, and he insisted we need to take 5 flags - one for him, one each for me, DH and DD, and one for the tent!

InelegantlyWasted Fri 18-May-12 00:09:04

I was in Morrisons last week with DP and was feeling particularly grumpy. I think I said something along the lines of,

"Is there nothing in here I can buy that isn't "Great" or "British"? Why are there Union Jacks on Kitkats, they're still the same fucking Kitkats?"

And then he said something along the lines of,

"Stop being such a miserable old trout, and stop swearing in the supermarket!"

WorraLiberty England Fri 18-May-12 00:09:22

I thought it was really nice yesterday when I went to pick my DS(9) up and his class were singing the National Anthem.

I'm not particularly big on the Royal family and yet there was just something really nice and 'British' about it.

It's always pissed me off that the kids in both the Primary and Senior here aren't taught the National Anthem in school as a rule....or haven't in the past anyway.

WorraLiberty England Fri 18-May-12 00:10:16

Inelegantly grin grin

Olympia2012 Fri 18-May-12 00:11:54

It's the memories isn't it! That's why we are traipsing to London on the third.... So the dc have memories, like I do of the silver jubilee. Wouldn't bother otherwise

Ample Fri 18-May-12 00:20:40

In M&S I noticed the teacakes and choc digestives to name a few have been repackaged. As if they wouldn't taste the same if they were in their everyday wrappers.

Yes it's red white and blue all over...what with the Jubilee and the London Olympics it was bound to happen. I don't mind it so much but the 'Carry On' stuff is bleurgh.

WorraLiberty England Fri 18-May-12 00:21:43

Keep Calm and Carry On Mumsnetting grin

Ample Fri 18-May-12 00:24:14

grin rather surprisingly I haven't seen that one on a coffee mug yet
Too soon?

WorraLiberty England Fri 18-May-12 00:26:29

Or depending on the poster....

Fuck Calm, just leave the bastard grin

<Probably in the making>

ReelAroundTheFountain Fri 18-May-12 13:39:07

Ahh, I've just seen Dettol no-touch hand wash with a union jack on.

<adds to list of nonsense>

have stocked up on union jack tat at poundland

wheredidyoulastseeit Fri 18-May-12 13:43:40

Must get the Queensmill and Ma'amite they sound great fun

Some things are inspired, like the Queensmill and the Ma'amite

But I think the most useless item is vasile pouch as (1) it allready comes in a protective case and (2) who on earth needs a mirror to apply it??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now