Not really an AIBU, more a How did I get so WEIRD....

(72 Posts)
Cathycomehome Tue 29-Nov-11 22:42:51

My son is obsessed by the game FIFA 12 for Xbox. Both son and partner are obsessed by football.

There is a lot of football on telly in this house.

The commentator on FIFA 12 is the voice of the chap who does the commentary on the real football...I have recently found that watching football on TV, I DON'T BELIEVE IT IS REAL! I find myself thinking that it is in fact all an Xbox game, and the players are being controlled.

That is properly weird isn't it? blush

FairyOnTheXmasTreeMcFlouncer Wed 07-Dec-11 18:41:39

"I sometimes find myself amazed that toddler foreigners can understand a different language to English. Only for second, you understand, until reason reasserts itself, but still..."

ME TOO!!!!!!

I am unspeakably delighted that I am not the only one who does this!

AbbyAbsinthe Wed 30-Nov-11 18:16:29

fuzzynavel grin

fluffyliquorice Wed 30-Nov-11 16:53:56

"I often go to "rewind" the live radio shows I am listening to if I feel I have missed something "
I've got the Tunein radio app on IPad, you can rewind live radio or record it, It's great! smile

fuzzynavel Wed 30-Nov-11 16:39:07

Was in Marks and Sparks once, peered across the shop floor only to see my doppleganger, remember thinking blimey, isn't she the spit but fatter. Erm no - it was me in the mirror shock

AbbyAbsinthe Wed 30-Nov-11 16:34:34

I sometimes put Vick's Vapour Rub on my chest for comfort blush

briedog Wed 30-Nov-11 16:07:50

OFF.

briedog Wed 30-Nov-11 16:07:11

I can't watch anything straight after "you've been framed", or I'm just anticipating people falling into a bucket/of a roof/over a cat.

I'm pretty sure I can fly.

nicenivea Wed 30-Nov-11 16:03:38

I just generally think my life is on tv. Like the truman show - I quite often have stop myself and say "no one is watching" before doing something personal like my bikini line!

DonkeyTeapot Wed 30-Nov-11 15:27:31

SmallClanger just reminded me, I sometimes do a cookery show style commentary in my head when I'm cooking, or making anything.

TheSmallClanger Wed 30-Nov-11 15:23:56

I do the Nick Ross Crimewatch commentary thing in my head when I walk alone at work. "Small said goodbye to her supervisor after getting changed. It was raining. When it rained, Small usually took the shuttle bus to the car parks. Mr. Supervisor did not see her get on the bus himself, but we have eyewitness accounts which seem to suggest that she did."

that should be "watching" grin

I recently shamed myself in front of very successful UK boy band by watching a bit of a footie game (tottenham vs ??) that was on in the studio recently. Didn't realise until I was leaving that it was a computer GAME they were playing - I've never seen one before (I'm blessed with a DP who isn't interested in computer games at all).

In my defence it looked very realistic, but it was the commentary that got me - but if as you say. its the same voice, that explains a lot. So not cool!

RubberDuck Wed 30-Nov-11 12:26:29

After playing rather too much Dragon Age, I found myself starting to look at people's feet as I walked along to see if they had a red or green circle around them (red being the bad guys blush)

DonkeyTeapot Wed 30-Nov-11 12:24:58

Working in a finance dept at a previous work place, I'd frequently try to phone people up by keying their phone number into my calculator, or their customer account number into my phone.

The I'd come home and try to get into the house using my door entry card for work (the kind where you just wave it at a scanner and the door opens).

whackamole Wed 30-Nov-11 12:15:18

If I play Sims for too long I start thinking like my toilet bar is getting in the red. TBF this only really happened a few times in uni when I should have been writing my dissertation

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 30-Nov-11 12:15:09

I have often tried to turn the volume up on the radio in the car when the back seat passengers were saying something interesting, but too quietly. (And I've tried to remotely unlock the front door with my car key fob.)

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2011/11/18/bbc-to-scrap-match-of-the-day-in-favour-of-fifa2012/]]

Snapespeare Wed 30-Nov-11 11:56:17

I believe in doctor who. That is my faith system. smile

I also convinced my children that they would be going to Hogwarts for secondary school and that they would get a wand on their 11th birthday. I didn't use my wand on a daily basis, because it was hidden away in the attic and i didn't want the ministry of magic to know where I was. I mutter 'crucio' at people who annoy me on the tube.

montmartre Wed 30-Nov-11 11:53:27

I felt similar about Swedish after watching 20 episodes of Wallander!

That said, Swedish seems much more intelligible to me (native english speaker) than Danish (who all sound as though they're speaking underwater... very bubbly)

arf@ googling her keys!

hackmum Wed 30-Nov-11 10:51:26

I also think I can understand Danish after watching The Killing. This seems to be quite common, I've been relieved to find.

I remember reading a piece by Zoe Williams where she'd lost her house keys, and her first thought was to try and find them using Google. So I think if it is a madness, it's not an unusual one.

lottiegb Wed 30-Nov-11 08:08:41

The football thing makes perfect sense. I have no interest but recently happened to spend five minute swith a child who was playing some football game, then saw part of a real match, during which it was clear that some of the adverts on the pitch are not really there (and keep appearing to change shape from 2D to 3D) and immediately wondered how we could know that the players were not similarly remotely controlled and only appeared real on tv.

MoreBeta Wed 30-Nov-11 08:07:44

"..watching football on TV, I DON'T BELIEVE IT IS REAL! I find myself thinking that it is in fact all an Xbox game, and the players are being controlled."

You are entirely correct.

The players are controlled by managers and especially their agents. The stories you read in newspapers and see on TV about their private lives are not always accurate and often placed there by their PR team.

At the end of it all ..... soccer is just a game.

WifiNappies Wed 30-Nov-11 08:05:29

I believe I'm the only real person in the world and everyone else is an actor robot. An unseeable power is logging my movements and thoughts, setting me challenges and generally trying to make my life difficult.

I know it's not the same but I thought I'd share.

Proudnscary Wed 30-Nov-11 08:02:46

Svrider - Geordie surely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now