Towel-gate

(142 Posts)
Tunip Mon 20-Jun-11 13:28:04

DH had a bath on Saturday night.
He left his towel on the sofa. Shoes in the bathroom door way, jeans on the bathroom floor. (There were no throws of passion involved to explain the scattering of clothes, it is just where he took them off grin)

They are still there.

AIBU to leave them there?

and

AIBU to ask you to join me in towel-watch to see how long the towel stays on the sofa?

grin

PS I am not enabling his behaviour by picking up after him, hence stuff is where he left it. I know life is short to get wound up by these things- but it is too short for me to go around picking up after him

PPS I don't want a divorce

PPPS I think these threads always mention what a great DH and Dad he is - he is!

PPPPS He has had a shower since then

GypsyMoth Mon 20-Jun-11 13:29:22

great dad? not a great example he's setting is it

nocake Mon 20-Jun-11 13:29:44

If the towel is still on the sofa how did he dry himself after his shower?

Catslikehats Mon 20-Jun-11 13:30:46

Never mind divorce kill him grin

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 20-Jun-11 13:30:49

Fine him, for every towell you have to pick up. Each day, another £10... see how long it takes... and obviously don't leave any of your own towels on the floor... grin

LadyThumb Mon 20-Jun-11 13:31:30

They will stay there forever! A dustbin bag is your best friend - just scoop the lot into it and put it down the garden somewhere.

fifitrixibell Mon 20-Jun-11 13:31:32

Definately NBU! Let's see who cracks first - because unless he trips over his shoes in the bathroom door - I bet he won't even notice!

Tunip Mon 20-Jun-11 13:32:18

IloveTIFFANY Is it difficult being a role model all the time ? I stuggle sometimes grin

Nocake Different bathroom and another towel

herbietea Mon 20-Jun-11 13:32:23

Message withdrawn

HerbWoman Mon 20-Jun-11 13:32:35

But make sure you hide some towels for you to use, otherwise they will ALL end up scattered around the house and you will end up picking them up anyway.

ConnorTraceptive Mon 20-Jun-11 13:33:21

The bottom of dh's wardrobe is a pit of dirty clothes and shoes. I hate seeing them lying around so gather them up and shove them out of my sight into the bottom of his wardrobe and there they stay until he can be arsed to deal with them

fifitrixibell Mon 20-Jun-11 13:34:37

how about hiding all the other towels and telling him he can't have a clean one till he disposes apprpriately of the one on the sofa. If he is going to strew his belongings round like a child, then he can expect to be treated like a child.

Tunip Mon 20-Jun-11 13:35:21

Of course I CAN spell Struggle (using NAK as an excuse)

It is hard to leave them there - but I'm quite interested to see how long it takes!

Good idea about hiding towels!

MySweetPrince Mon 20-Jun-11 13:36:18

Do not pick the clothes up..instead...Space the shoes apart one in front of the other like giant steps leading to the jeans which you spreadeagle on the bathroom floor - he'll notice that! When he queries the layout of discarded clothes mention the damp towel too.

Tunip Mon 20-Jun-11 13:36:36

I could just ask him to move it and he would without batting an eyelid, but this is more fun grin

ConnorTraceptive Mon 20-Jun-11 13:38:10

I would hide one shoe and replace it with a non matching one

sunshineandbooks Mon 20-Jun-11 13:40:06

How about asking him to pick them up and explaining to him that leaving them there implies that he considers your role to pick up after him, which is hugely disrespectful and downright lazy. You are his partner not his servant. Even my four-year-old DTs put their towels and dirty clothes in the washing basket!

barelyawake Mon 20-Jun-11 13:42:05

Do you never leave anything laying about?
In my house I would pick it up, better than seeing it every time I walk into the sitting room!
If you've not even mentioned it to him then YABU to get wound up about it. He probably hasn't realised its annoyed you.

Where is he now? At work????

superjobeespecs Mon 20-Jun-11 13:44:35

i'd love to do this with OH but unfortunately its the other way round blush i leave everything at my arse no matter what im doing theres a trail of crap left behind me that i will happily walk past for longer than i'd care to admit to grin when OH is here i try to be neat but when he's working away the house is an absolute shithole even DD is tidier than me

<ashamed and deservedly so>

cant wait to see how long it takes your DH to clean up tho grin

Tunip Mon 20-Jun-11 13:45:58

It is not annoying me, otherwise I woul have asked him to move it and pretty much said to him what sunshineandbooks said.

He is at home today - sitting on the sofa opposite the towel.

I like the hiding shoe idea!!

baskingseals Mon 20-Jun-11 13:46:16

i kick dh's horrible grubby clothes pile under the bed. sometimes i do this quite savagely.

IgnoringTheChildren Mon 20-Jun-11 13:50:50

Definitely leave the towel on the sofa! It only took 24 hours for my DH to deal with the under-sink kitchen bin that he left in the middle of the kitchen without liner. I'm not convinced that he's learnt anything from the stand-off (or actually even realised that we were having a stand-off over the bin) though... you may need to discuss it with him if you want him to change his behaviour! grin

LadyGoneGaga Mon 20-Jun-11 13:51:13

I leave towels on the floor in various locations. I have clothes strewn around the bedroom floor. I am not tidy blush.

Tunip Mon 20-Jun-11 14:04:27

IgnoringTheChildren I remember that thread and thinking that some husbands and partners must be really miserable in their relationships if they are treated in the manner that some posters implied (e,g. How can he be a good Dad/H/P if he treats you like that).

Sometimes you need to have a little petty stand off - if for no other reason than a silly way of getting your point across! grin

Insomnia11 Mon 20-Jun-11 14:11:12

A friend of mine's DH was so bad at leaving piles of his stuff everywhere she threatened to have a bonfire in the garden with it. grin

Just saying...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now