Can you use the baby weight excuse 5 years down the line?

(172 Posts)
FeelLikeTweedleDee Sun 20-Mar-11 12:52:32

I've met a few women who say "I'm overweight because I've had babies" and their children are 5+ years old. My mum (bless her) used to say this to me, and I'm her youngest child pushing 30!

So how long do you reckon you can use the baby weight excuse for? And who actually believes it? Men? The childless?

Bitch away.

bringmesunshine2009 Wed 04-Jul-12 22:43:58

Ha I lost it all and then some within 4 months of birth. So pleased was I that I have been stacking it on ever since. :D

ohmysilverballs Wed 04-Jul-12 23:01:56

I think max 9 months....

Yanbu

fatlazymummy Thu 05-Jul-12 06:24:37

It's up to the individual really. Personally I expected to[and did] lose my baby/pregnancy weight within a few months, and my subsequent weight gain was caused by overeating and lack of exercise.
Again, speaking for myself, it is important to distinguish between 'reasons' and 'excuses'. It is important to accept responsibility for our own health, and therefore if I make excuses I am only trying to fool myself.
Having said that, I don't really care if other people say they still have 'baby weight' 5 years on, or whatever length of time. It's up to them and I'm not going to judge them for it.

FutureNannyOgg Thu 05-Jul-12 07:45:54

There has been some research fairly recently that indicated your natural weight resets higher after your first child, making it much harder to get back to and maintain your pre pregnancy weight as your metabolism adjusts to keep the higher set point.

exoticfruits Thu 05-Jul-12 08:09:40

There is only one answer-NO.

DontmindifIdo Thu 05-Jul-12 08:34:09

Well, I figured 9 months on, 9 months off for the weight. I breast fed and the weight did fall off to start with, by 5 months I was the same pre-pregnancy weight, but not hte same shape, a lot of woman change how they carry weight after pregnancy (not as obvious if you were a little overweight to start with, but I noticed, my thighs used to be my problem area, they aren't now, but my tummy is, which used to be the last place I gained weight before).

However, after my terribly smug "oh, I'm back in my size 6 jeans by 4 months" feelings, I then stopped breast feeding at 5 months and the weight piled on, I realised I'd been eating a crap but getting away with it as DS was such a greedy hungry little boy. The photos of me at DS's Christening (6.5 months) I look a right bloater, my face is huge. that weight took longer to lose and involved me changing the way I ate. Luckily, it coinsided with weaning DS off purees onto real food so I was paying more attention to what we were eating as a family and started cutting out the crap and eating healthy, slow release foods.

bronze Thu 05-Jul-12 08:46:40

I am always going to blame my Dcs for my weight gain.
Not to them of course but the fact is I will never be the same again. I am tall and was 9stone with a boyish figure when I got pregnant. Small boobs, no bum or hips.
I am now nearly three stone heavier but I look like I have a pannier bustle and my ribs are actually sticking further out, I blame this on a nearly ten lb baby making himself room. I will never be able to get back to my previous weight.
On a positive tone I am still happily within my bmi, look fine and may lose a little more when I finish feeding dc4

KitCat26 Thu 05-Jul-12 09:20:41

I still haven't shifted the last 1.5st of the babyweight, my youngest is 17mts.
I had two DCs in 17mths, put on 3st with my first pregnancy and was still 2st over when I fell pregnant with DD2 (but didn't put on so much).

DD1 is a slow walker whilst I push DD2 in the buggy so no chance to raise my heart rate there.

I am finally in a place (mentally and practically) where I can get the time on my own to excercise properly in the evenings. The weight isn't falling off but at least I feel better for it - its only been a few weeks. My metabolism is very different though.

For some the weight falls off, others (like me) it doesn't, meh, not my business to judge whether other peoples reasons are valid.

Flobbadobs Thu 05-Jul-12 10:20:21

I lost all my baby weight really quickly this time, however... While pg I had the most unbelieveable heartburn. Couldn't eat anything without feeling so ill afterwards so I kept my weight in check throughout my pg bu accident really.
Afterr I had DD though I rediscovered food. 4 months down the line and I've piled it back on!
Am taking up running again soon -now I'm sure my insides aren't going to drop out-- and doing some yoga.
I can still use the baby weight excuse but 5 years is pushing it! smile

Flobbadobs Thu 05-Jul-12 10:20:42

Major strikeout failure there!

tulipsaremyfavourite Thu 05-Jul-12 10:28:52

I still use it. Dc's are 9 and 6! Am gonna use it as long as i need to!

laurenamium Thu 05-Jul-12 10:46:59

I put on 4 stone when I was pregnant- went from riding and looking after 4 horses to being on complete house arrest (all the snow and no balance sad) and didn't change my diet to reflect this.

DD is 18mo now and it's only been in the last 6 months that I've started to lose the weight, I have 2 pounds left til I'm pre baby. I have no Childcare and I'm lone parent smile so I've just walked and started riding again but only twice a week.

My body will never how it was sad

GualSemen Sun 08-Jul-12 20:55:54

Hi there; I no one should make having a baby an excuse for carrying the baby weight for more than a year, after I have my son I was back to size 10 when he was six months old back to my old dresses and Jeans., All I did was attend some aerobic and cardio blast classes at Brixton rec.

Krumbum Sun 08-Jul-12 21:30:22

Lovely thread, fat shaming, again... Having a baby is a big deal and changes your body and life drastically so yes I do think it could affect some people for longer. But also it doesn't matter! We shouldn't have to feel like we need 'excuses' for whatever weight we are. It's irrelevant and nothing to do with other people. It's sad how obsessed people are about their own and other women's weight.

NovackNGood Sun 08-Jul-12 22:47:10

Since their is no reason not to be back to before pregnancy weight within weeks of birth then using it as an excuse is only fooling themselves.

TheCunningStunt Sun 08-Jul-12 23:04:27

This thread was started in march 2011....

McHappyPants2012 Sun 08-Jul-12 23:12:28

Thanks to separated stomach muscles I can loose the weight, but my stomach will be saggy and I am too scared to have a tummy tuck

holyfishnets Sun 08-Jul-12 23:17:36

I think about a year is the limit.

modifiedmum Sun 08-Jul-12 23:57:09

a year i think, my hair stopped falling out at about that point to and my body felt like it was back to its normal shape... i didnt breast feed as of meds i take for a medical condition but it came off naturally!

Krumbum Mon 09-Jul-12 00:23:27

Often people believe they are overweight when they have loose skin, that's not gonna go. It's not being overweight though. I think a lot of people would feel better about themselves if we saw lax skin as normal, which it is for a lot of people.
Novack, what is wrong with you?

2rebecca Mon 09-Jul-12 10:07:12

2-3 years max. Most "baby weight" isn't related to pregnancy but more the fact that exercise is difficult with small kids and people at home all day snack more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now