Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Can you use the baby weight excuse 5 years down the line?

(172 Posts)
FeelLikeTweedleDee Sun 20-Mar-11 12:52:32

I've met a few women who say "I'm overweight because I've had babies" and their children are 5+ years old. My mum (bless her) used to say this to me, and I'm her youngest child pushing 30!

So how long do you reckon you can use the baby weight excuse for? And who actually believes it? Men? The childless?

Bitch away.

noodle69 Sun 20-Mar-11 15:56:31

I dont know how anyone with kids can keep loads of weight on. They never give you the chance to sit still I think it must burn 10000 calories a day!

allsquareknickersnofurcoat Sun 20-Mar-11 16:04:31

I weigh less than pre preg now, but you wouldnt think so to look at me. I've gone from a size 14 to a 16mat during pregnancy, and now I'm an 16/18. My hips are definitely wider (pear anyway angry ), my boobs have gone from 34C to 38DD (still BF) and I have jelly belly.
I'm not too concerned about trying to get my body back at the mo though, as I want DC2 asap, so its just gonna be fucked again anyway.

ambarth Sun 20-Mar-11 16:17:05

dunno but I am still using it 2 years later.sad

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sun 20-Mar-11 16:25:44

Well I finally shifted the 2 stone I put on with DS, he's 7.

I've got rid of half of the 3 stone I put on with DD who is 12.

Once that is done I need to shift the two stone I should have lost before getting pregnant in the first place.

noviceoftheday Sun 20-Mar-11 16:25:53

I put on 1.5 stone while I was pregnant, but ate for England when I was breastfeeding, and acquired a sweet tooth as well as eating massive portions. I was back in my size 8 pre-baby clothes within 6 months but it was only after I stopped breasteeding (at 1 year) that I was properly able to shift the entire post-baby weight and get toned, and that took me another 6 months. So my answer is a year or 6 months after you stop breastfeeding whichever is longest!.

fluffles Sun 20-Mar-11 16:30:53

i've only just discovered (don't have dcs yet) that your ligaments stay stretchy throughout breastfeeding and that you have to remain cafeful about the same exercises you were careful about in pregnancy shock

pre-pregnancy i did a lot of very vigorous yoga (ashtanga and vinyasa flow 'power' yoga) and martial arts - both of which will be a no-no during breast feeding sad

also, i'm not sure that my breasts could handle running during breast feeding sad

i know my body and i know that i can't lose weight with walking and swimming.. so i don't hold out much hope of even beginning to try to get back into shape until about ten months or so after birth.

mosschops30 Sun 20-Mar-11 16:34:32

I put on 4 stone when pg with dc3, basically because iate like a pig.
Its taken me just over a year with plenty of exercise and good diet to get back to a size 8.

I hate these people who say 'oh ive put on weight since having the kids' as if its an excuse.

Why cant people just say i eat too much or dont exercise thats why im overweight

spidookly Sun 20-Mar-11 16:37:19

TheSecond

"when i breastfeed i eat like a horse and hang on to every bit of lard i look at"

seconded

I hadn't given up breastfeeding completely when I got pregnant for the second time, so I don't even know which baby weight is which any more. confused

But the thing is, I never think mean thoughts about other women's "excuses" for their weight.

What concern is it of mine?

I presumed the OP would be someone who was wondering how long THEY could use the baby weight excuse. Not someone who was wondering how long she had to wait before judging mothers for being fat hmm

HalfTermHero Sun 20-Mar-11 16:39:09

9 months on, 9 months off.

spidookly Sun 20-Mar-11 16:39:38

"I hate these people who say 'oh ive put on weight since having the kids' as if its an excuse."

WTF?

You hate them?

For carrying a little extra weight after having children and not having time to exercise?

Nice.

mosschops30 Sun 20-Mar-11 16:44:00

Oh dont be so pedamtic. 'cant stand' then, and its not the people its the attitude tat 'ive had babies = i can be overweight because of tat'

spidookly Sun 20-Mar-11 16:46:53

It sounds very much like it is the people who are being dismissed and sneered at here.

There is no attitude implied in "I've put on weight after having babies", many women have and most of them are not at all happy about it.

But it's great to know they're being looked down on by other mothers who lost the weight more easily.

How lovely of you all.

mosschops30 Sun 20-Mar-11 16:50:29

Touchy???

If you dont like it, do something about it, it doesnt fall off the rest of us you know, 95% of people have to work at it.

Suck it up or stop feeling bitter

spidookly Sun 20-Mar-11 16:54:49

Oh fuck off mosschops

I'm not remotely bitter.

I'm a breastfeeding mother with thyroid problems, so your nasty, simplistic "advice" is utterly misplaced.

Being slightly overweight when I can't diet and there are medical reasons why my body won't shed weight is something I'm entirely at peace with.

But not all women are like me and nasty bitches like you make their lives a fucking misery.

You're the one who sounds bitter.

When I was slim (which was for the vast majority of my life) I never felt the need to look down on people who were fat.

CheerfulYank Sun 20-Mar-11 16:55:00

5 years! Those lazy mares.

I used to think it was nine months, then a year, then two...now it's almost 4 or whatever DS is currently aged.

mosschops30 Sun 20-Mar-11 16:57:29

Woo hoo a drip feed poster my favourite. Think you need to relax a bit and deal with that anger thing youve got going on.

new2cm Sun 20-Mar-11 16:58:14

I think we all know the answer, which is no, you can't expect people to take you seriously when - 5 years on - you blame your big size on baby weight.

grin

So how long do you reckon you can use the baby weight excuse for? IMO, until the child's 1st birthday or 2nd birthday for a difficult birth or other issues (e.g baby blues). After all, there could be other priorities in that person's life than loosing baby weight.

And who actually believes it? No one but most people have the social graces to smile sympathetically and move on.
Men? The childless? I doubt it!

MissusF Sun 20-Mar-11 17:00:56

See I had no probs losing the baby weight within a few months everytime.

BUT when the Grandaughter came along, well then I put on loads, and as much as I try, havnt really lost it grin and she's 16!

spidookly Sun 20-Mar-11 17:03:26

PMSL

You called me fat, lazy and bitter but I have an anger problem for responding to that?

I wasn't "drip feeding" (MN's most irrititating criticism) because I wasn't making the point about myself.

YOU made it about me, so that's why I responded.

I think it's shit to be mean about fat mothers. I thought that before I was slightly overweight and I'll think it when I'm in a position to lose the weight.

spidookly Sun 20-Mar-11 17:05:32

Why should women who are overweight have to make excuses about it and why shouldn't they be taken seriously?

confused

Is it just that you have so little to feel good about that not being fat is all you can come up with?

Isn't crowing about your own achievements and looking down at people who don't measure up a little adolescent?

SardineQueen Sun 20-Mar-11 17:07:57

I think that lifestyle can change monumentally for women after children and that their weight/body shape/exercise levels/eating patterns can be very different to pre-DC. So shapes and sizes and things can and do change, and it is down to DC in their huge change in lifestyle.

I do feel a bit sad that women feel so bad for what are often small changes, and that they feel the need to justify it, and that other women judge them for it. I think it's not helped by the Sleb mags - I see the covers in teh shops wink and it's all OMG she's pg/just given birth - look how shit/great she looks etc etc.

spidookly Sun 20-Mar-11 17:09:12

Well said Sardine

PepsiPopcorn Sun 20-Mar-11 17:14:58

biscuit

MuddlingMackem Sun 20-Mar-11 17:17:50

My youngest is four and a half and I'm still carrying baby weight. I figure I might get the chance to shift the rest once she's in reception.

All these people who say that it's max a year; if you don't have lucky genes then you must have either have lightweight kids you can push in a buggy forever or really good walkers. Or the time and money to spend at a gym. I have none of those.

With DC2 the first three months or so was just recovering from the c-section, the next few months was pushing two heavy kids in a heavy tandem pushchair, so not brisk walking then either. Then DC1 got too big to physically push them both, really lazy walker, snail's pace everywhere. Respite of a few months when he started reception and I only had a single in pushchair, lost a bit then as I could walk briskly, but then she got to heavy and it was back to it being a slog. Then of course she got too big for the pushchair and it's back to snail's pace.

Oh, and no money or babysitters to work off the weight at a gym either. So, hey ho!

Roll on September, might finally start shifting what's left!

willow Sun 20-Mar-11 17:19:47

OP: shit, are you saying that that excuse is no longer acceptable? DS is nearly 11- I am busted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now