To loathe Baby on Board

(111 Posts)
BellaMagnificat Wed 02-Mar-11 19:45:13

Even though, yeh,yeh, I understand it's all apparently about, if you're in an horrific accident, the rescue team can search for the baby ( if the sticker was still visible and the car seat was not...)

Actually it's a bit of smugness like 'we are pregnant' that makes me froth at the mouth and want to vom.

I have dogs in transit.

So there.

Crawling Tue 19-Mar-13 12:11:51

I dont have one that sais baby on board but I do have a warning on mine it says Mad Cow is that as bad?

Madmum24 Tue 19-Mar-13 12:05:37

I did read an article once regarding these and a psychologist did actually say that this was mans subconcious way of showing his virility to the nation whether you want ot believe it or not is another matter

I drive the same regardless as to whether there is a baby/princess/cute bishon frise in the car in front.

I do actually know a couple who wouldn't drive their car because they couldn't find their "baby on board" hangy thing <weird>

MansView Tue 19-Mar-13 11:53:32

who actually puts them on - the women, or the man..?

maybe it's the woman who's insecure to ward off other women?

I lived with someone and she placed one of her white hats behind the back seats for everyone to see...

xigris Mon 18-Mar-13 19:00:29

Hamdangle if there's one sure fire way to annoy me it's those wanky "powered by fairy dust" stickers. Bollocks are they. Your car is powered by petrol or diesel like every other car on the road (unless it's electric or something) and as for those eyelash things. As you said, words fail me. I work with a girl who has the lot. The lot.We're talking fairy crap, eyelashes, cuddly toys AND a little princess on board sticker. Personally I think she deserves 8 points on her licence.

MrsMelons Mon 18-Mar-13 18:11:49

I really can't understand why it actually bothers people. I think its fine, we never had one as had blacked out windows so you wouldn't have seen it but I really don't understand the issue. We would have done though as am not sure why it matters either way. It surely can't actually offend people?

MamaBear17 Mon 18-Mar-13 16:25:27

My husband hates them too, but I have never understood why. Doesn't really bother me, although we don't have one. I dont think people are bragging about being fertile though; I think they are probably just another example of daft things people buy when they have a kid.

MansView Mon 18-Mar-13 15:58:39

RE: - 'It's like they need advertise the fact that they have a baby. '

indeed - the fact it's stuck to a people carrier tells me everything I need to know...

all car stickers ate are shite... I saw one the other year on the back of a micra - 'go on small cock, overtake me..!'

I duly did... smile

ComposHat Mon 18-Mar-13 00:42:40

They are diddly squat use for the fire and rescue services.

A fire fighter with decades worth of experience told me that they search they go to the drivers seat first (as there's always a driver) and then examine the back seat and then the front seat, regardless of wanky stickers.

space21 Sun 17-Mar-13 22:33:32

I have one. Took us 6 years and 3 mcs and we were chuffed to fuck to be able to put one in the car.

If that makes me smug over my fertility so be it.

YABU

MarianForrester Sun 17-Mar-13 22:28:30

YADNBU

The other day I saw one saying "Dylon on board". I was very confused...

Pigsmummy Sun 17-Mar-13 22:21:25

I asked a friend why, they said that the BOB sign was "so that people wouldn't crash into them".........

Helpmeout1 Sun 17-Mar-13 22:17:19

Jeez Louise

BambieO Sun 17-Mar-13 22:03:34

People with children must all stay indoors for fear of upsetting a stranger

BambieO Sun 17-Mar-13 22:02:44

helpmeout tell me about it, self obsessesion at its peak! I'm sure that's exactly what the grandparents thought when putting the sign up 'we are all fertile how better to celebrate than a car sign'. It's a crime these days to be grateful for what you have.

Helpmeout1 Sun 17-Mar-13 21:41:31

"We are fertile and so are our children," - are you freaking kidding me?!

Helpmeout1 Sun 17-Mar-13 21:40:41

Eh?!!! I never once ever, ever, EVER had a moment's smugness putting ours in. It was from the pound shop or somewhere like that. Very ugly. Just thought it's better to have one than not - when I see one hanging in a car it does remind me to drive (even more) cautiously.

Phineyj Sun 17-Mar-13 21:23:23

During the years I was TTC and failing I did find them baffling and upsetting, particularly the 'Grandchildren on Board' ones because i) how often are the grandchildren in the car, really? and ii) to me it read "we are fertile and so are our children" and I'd think "wah, I'm not and I'm letting my parents down..."

Popsie3 Sun 17-Mar-13 20:52:39

Whoops I mean blush!!!!

Popsie3 Sun 17-Mar-13 20:51:24

Nothing worse than 'Yummy Mummy on board' Why Why Why would anyone have this! [Embarrassed]

Lifeisontheup Sun 17-Mar-13 20:44:27

I'm in the ambulance service and it has never crossed my mind to look for a baby on board sign at an RTC. Would look for evidence of a baby but never a sticker, have never heard any of my colleagues in any emergency service say they take any notice of them.

float62 Sun 17-Mar-13 20:42:11

Back in the day, I wanted one that said: "Never mind the Baby, B***h driving".

CloudsAndTrees Sun 17-Mar-13 20:28:19

I don't like them either. It implies that the driver thinks their baby's life is more important than anyone else's, which it simply isn't. Babies are no more important than any other human being.

TheCatIsUpTheDuff Sun 17-Mar-13 20:16:23

I loathe them, but was chatting to a fireman one day and asked him, and he says he does look for them, and does make sure and look for a baby if he's called to an accident and there's one in the car.

cherryvanillajam Sun 17-Mar-13 20:07:56

OMG, so much rage and hatred about something so harmless! Some of your responses frighten me - a sticker on a car really makes you want to 'ram it' from behind? Some vile posts and horrible sounding people on here - sickening to read such hate filled posts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now