So be honest; would you turn your child over to the police if he'd/she'd commited a crime?

(90 Posts)
poshsinglemum Wed 12-Jan-11 18:36:49

I think a similar thread has been done about the student who has been jailed for throwing a fire extinguisher off a roof during a student [protest. WWWYD?

poshsinglemum Wed 12-Jan-11 18:37:26

oooops- just seen very similar thread and sorry about the typos!

Catrinm Wed 12-Jan-11 18:38:51

I think it depends on the crime.

Murder, rape, arson, terrorism yes, a silly drunken act of vandalism, no. The student protester.... no probably not!

Catrinm Wed 12-Jan-11 18:39:30

Also depends how old he is X

LadyOfTheManor Wed 12-Jan-11 18:39:50

I wouldn't turn my son in, but I'd give him a bollocking and ultimatum encourage him to own up himself.

Goblinchild Wed 12-Jan-11 18:40:23

I really don't think I could.

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Wed 12-Jan-11 18:42:59

I'd just make them feel guilty enough to do it themselves

there's no way it would come to me having to do it

noddyholder Wed 12-Jan-11 18:43:53

No

I'm with catrimn it depends on too many factors for a clear yes or no ithink.

FrequentNutter Wed 12-Jan-11 18:46:07

Depends on the crime. Petty crime the answer is no.

JamieLeeCurtis Wed 12-Jan-11 18:47:18

I'd make them do it themselves. If they didn't - I'd have to think again. In principle, yes, I think I would

charliesmommy Wed 12-Jan-11 18:48:15

It would depend on the crime. This was a serious offence, and it was only a matter of time before he was identified and arrested anyway.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 12-Jan-11 18:51:09

I have three teens; it's difficult to say. It would depend on the crime I think.

The student in the news, well I feel a bit sad that he got the sentence he did. He was foolish, he did it in the heat of the moment and no-one was hurt, although I get that itcould have been really bad.

My ds was the victim of a knife crime (probably pre-planned) and his attacker got a lot less than that. Go figure.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Wed 12-Jan-11 18:51:10

Would depend on the crime. If it was a serious crime, I'd encourage him/her to turn themselves in - if they didn't, then yes, I would. I couldn't live with myself knowing that another family were going through such hell, and I simply wouldn't be able to look at my child, knowing what they'd done.

Petty crime - it would depend. If it was a regular occurence, we probably wouldn't have a relationship anyway and so again I probably would. If it was just a one-off, then I honestly don't know...it would depend what it was and what the circumstances were

mumofloads Wed 12-Jan-11 18:51:48

Petty crime, no but i would sure as hell make them pay in some other way.

Murder, rape, house breaking, mugging yes with no hesitation.

annapolly Wed 12-Jan-11 18:59:06

I would, I know because I have. My DD committed a burglary with some school friends.

I knew she had been hanging around with a boy that had been in a lot of trouble.

I found DVDs and cigarettes in my house hidden under the stairs and knew they had come from the burgled house.

I told the police, had her arrested and left her in the cells for a night.

She had been hanging around with a bad lot and drinking since a bereavement.

At the point I found her stash I never considered not shopping her. If I had covered for her she would have dragged me down to her level.

She went to court and was given counselling and has never put a foot wrong since.

She says it was her wake up call and thinks I did the right thing.

theywillgrowup Wed 12-Jan-11 18:59:16

nobody can truly say till something like that happened,but i suppose as parents we could hazzard a guess

no i dont think i could,its a good ????? as was reading that thread and that the sentence was a bit tough but most thought different and i did think to myself that maybe they would of thought different if it was their child in that position

KalokiMallow Wed 12-Jan-11 18:59:51

Yes.

maktaitai Wed 12-Jan-11 19:04:33

Definitely for petty crime, nicking or anything to do with drink driving, actually anything vehicle-related. I would have turned in my son for the fire extinguisher thing. Possibly because i would not have thought the sentence would be so long.

I would hold back from reporting possession of non-class A drugs because of the number of countries that would bar him from entry with a conviction. But I would go ballistic.

for violent crime i would try to get himself to turn himself in. i would have to be absolutely certain before i dobbed him myself.

allfurcoatandnoknicks Wed 12-Jan-11 19:17:57

Unless it was serious, like rape, murder, arson etc then no i wouldn't.

My dm(not) reported me for a crime i didnt commit - she claimed i'd beaten her up. This resulted in me being arrested in front of my dd aged 4 at the time and held in a cell for 4 hours then questioned and released. Once the police took statements from people who had supposedly witnessed the alleged attack i was told they would take no further action against me. I'll never ever forgive her.

AllHailDaddyPig Wed 12-Jan-11 19:24:56

Absolutely not - nobody on the planet matters more than my DD and I love her unconditionally, and would protect her no matter what. I'll always be the one person she can depend on, no matter what, I'd always find a way to support her.

scurryfunge Wed 12-Jan-11 19:28:08

You can still support someone even if you report them AllHail. Would you protect your daughter if she killed your mother?

Grumpla Wed 12-Jan-11 19:28:29

It depends on the crime and the circumstances but I would lean towards reporting rather than protecting. Especially with a teenager. Otherwise it's just another chance to avoid the consequences of their actions.

KalokiMallow Wed 12-Jan-11 19:29:46

You'd stop them from facing the consequences of criminal activity AllHailDaddyPig?

DublinMammy Wed 12-Jan-11 19:30:16

I definitely would. Annapolly you are my hero!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now