to hate being called m'am or madam by shop assistants

(125 Posts)
BadaBingBang Tue 04-Jan-11 07:08:42

Is it necessary to give me a title? M'am is a like being called Mum, and Madam puts me in mind of the lady in charge of a brothel.

HappySkiingGardeningNewYear Tue 04-Jan-11 07:17:41

What would you prefer? I like it personally as it is polite, and much better than "oi you".

I like it -it's a courtesy-and that can't be bad

Bunbaker Tue 04-Jan-11 07:20:51

YABU. They don't know your name so what should they call you?

onceamai Tue 04-Jan-11 07:25:14

Go often enough and buy enough and they will start calling you by name.

BadaBingBang Tue 04-Jan-11 07:27:22

It is possible to do the entire exchange without using madam and be polite. E.g:
SA: Can I help you?
Me: Could I have a chicken and salad sandwich please?
SA: Certainly, that's £2.50 please
Exchange sanwich for money,
Me: Thank you
SA: You're welcome

Avantia Tue 04-Jan-11 07:34:02

YABU - a least they are acknowleding you and not standing or sitting there chewing gum! Went to a DIY store yesterday - not B & Q I always find there staff very polite , girl on the till didn't even look me in the eye = managed to give me an 'allright ' then proceeded to give me my change whilst looking the other way , I had to move my hand to judge where hers was going to drop the change !

onceamai Tue 04-Jan-11 07:50:40

Surely no-one's ever been called madam when they're buying a sandwich.

Hardly anyone calls me madam - except in very very posh shops in the West End where they think I'm too scruffy to buy anything. I remember once they were incredibly snotty and a famous actress walked in, aunt of friend, and hugged me and their faces - oh it was gorgeous.

BadaBingBang Tue 04-Jan-11 08:01:19

I was called madam or m'am, at least three times during said exchange at sandwich shop. Maybe he was new and trying it out, or maybe I was too scruffy.

galletti Tue 04-Jan-11 08:14:03

Thinks it's nice and respectful, especially when manners seem to be on the decrease nowadays. Think men being called sir is good too!

fishie Tue 04-Jan-11 08:17:23

i am currently eating a sandwich. i was called madam during the procurement of it and thought nothing much of it other than to think to myself I wonder what age one becomes a madam.

They used to call me miss.

Madam is what you call grownups.

It's like when parents talk to their children and say 'move over here so the lady can get past'

I am clearly old.

sarah293 Tue 04-Jan-11 08:46:15

Message withdrawn

Chil1234 Tue 04-Jan-11 08:47:51

YABU... It's nice! Like being in Upstairs Downstairs. I find foreigners more likely to be particularly hot on the formal courtesy titles. 'Madam', 'Sir' etc., especially if they are a bit older.

BendyBob Tue 04-Jan-11 08:53:20

Ooh I love it. If it can be modified to 'Modom' so much the bettergrin

It's rare nowdays; wonderfully polite and old fashioned and harks back to A Better Time when ladies shopped for gloves and a good hat. I wish I lived back then sometimes..more often the older I get in factblush.

LostArt Tue 04-Jan-11 08:57:18

YANBU, I hate it. But I am very touchy about my age and I see it as a reminder that I'm no longer a young slip of a thing. <sigh>

WimpleOfTheBallet Tue 04-Jan-11 09:11:30

When I worked in a theatre bar in the West End, American men always called me "Miss"

"Excuse me Miss, could I get a napkin with my Bourbon?"

I liked it...made me feel like I worked in a diner!

NutellaIsMyHeroin Tue 04-Jan-11 09:13:45

Try living in Dubai! There, even some colleagues called me maam. Even when I said 'please just call me Nutella' , they would them come out with 'OK, maam Nutella.' Arrrggghh!

maighdlin Tue 04-Jan-11 11:04:27

I don't mind it in the UK but HATE it in the US where every one calls you m'am and it sound horrible with the american accent like m'eeyyym. like nails on a blackboard to me and they use so much they say it about 4 times when you order a drink.

BaggedandTagged Tue 04-Jan-11 11:09:46

"Try living in Dubai! There, even some colleagues called me maam. Even when I said 'please just call me Nutella' , they would them come out with 'OK, maam Nutella.' Arrrggghh!"

LOL- but the best one is when they say "Hello ma'am-sir"

Um- can't you tell? I would hope that I am fairly obviously a woman.

In Asia, its actually rude to tell someone in a service role not to call you ma'am or sir because apparently you are diminishing their status by so doing; something to do with the fact that by diminishing your own status, you're also lessening theirs. I haven't quite got my head around that one yet.

higgle Tue 04-Jan-11 11:10:58

Another supporter here - I just love being "Madam"

charliesmommy Tue 04-Jan-11 11:14:10

I prefer it to being called "love".. and my husband prefers to be called "sir" rather than "mate" or "pal"...

Ladyofthehousespeaking Tue 04-Jan-11 11:15:04

Only Americans who I have been serving have called me ma'am!!

Here it's 'love' although a woman went nuts went my colleague said 'cheers love'...weird!

BaggedandTagged Tue 04-Jan-11 11:16:02

.... or Governor, although that's mainly the preserve of London cabbies. I quite like it though (not to me obviously- to my "male companion")

UnquietDad Tue 04-Jan-11 11:16:20

heh-heh... Anyone else thinking of the Dick Emery character who would bridle at "Madam" and say "Miss"?

Or am I just showing my age...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now