frozen roast potatoes are for emergencies not for Christmas day

(469 Posts)
PrincessScrumpy Thu 30-Dec-10 21:41:38

I made a double chocolate baked cheese cake for Christmas with the in-laws - they didn't eat it and chose tesco value chocolate cake over my homemade dessert. I had to laugh - my dessert was yummy and dh and dd both ate mine. dh was horrified that his family were so rude and also by their taste buds.

I was alarmed when I went to the fridge on Christmas eve for dd's milk to see no sign of a Christmas dinner. My assumptions were correct - all from the freezer - even the veg including roast potatoes and yorkshire puddings to go with the Iceland roast pork and lamb.

Luckily, my aunt made a fab Christmas dinner on Monday so at least I've had real Christmas dinner.

Don't mean to sound snobby, but I come from a family that enjoys homemade food.

usualsuspect Thu 30-Dec-10 21:42:57

You sound snobby ..they can eat whatever they please

Mists Thu 30-Dec-10 21:43:59

YABU.

Frozen potatoes are not to be eaten at all.

grin

southeastastra Thu 30-Dec-10 21:44:02

you can't homemake a potato grin

i agree though you can't beat a roast king edward

nancy75 Thu 30-Dec-10 21:44:36

aunt bessie has alot to answer for

bellavita Thu 30-Dec-10 21:45:20

YABU.

I too enjoy making all my meals from scratch and would not serve frozen stuff to guests. However, as a guest in some one elses house, I would be grateful for the fact that they had provided me with a meal whether it be fresh or frozen.

strawberrie Thu 30-Dec-10 21:45:44

I'm struggling the think of an emergency scenario which could be solved by a roast potato?

southeastastra Thu 30-Dec-10 21:46:37

why strawberrie grin though nothing comes to my mind either on that subject

peppapighastakenovermylife Thu 30-Dec-10 21:47:14

Perhaps a burst pipe?

Maylee Thu 30-Dec-10 21:47:22

Dunno. But you do sound snobby.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 30-Dec-10 21:47:34

My MIL does Aunt Bessies ... but only once she was over 88 and still barely allowing me to help her make xmas dinner grin

I think beyond a certain age its allowable. She used to make the best roast King Edwards ever.

SixtyFootDoll Thu 30-Dec-10 21:47:52

YABU not evryone wants to spend xmas day slaving over a hot stove

SixtyFootDoll Thu 30-Dec-10 21:47:52

YABU not evryone wants to spend xmas day slaving over a hot stove

faverolles Thu 30-Dec-10 21:47:53

Strawberries - if still frozen I'm sure they could come to some use on a zombie plan.

borderslass Thu 30-Dec-10 21:47:56

Cant beat home cooked food I'm with nancy aunt bessie has taken it to far with precooked carrot and turnip, mashed potatoes and cauliflower cheese.I saw frozen chopped tomatoes in asda today as well.

PrincessScrumpy Thu 30-Dec-10 21:48:12

usualsuspect: I made the effort to make something as MIL was stressing about doing too much, and dh offered that I'd make a dessert. Their granddaughter helped me and they didn't even try it.

Also, I walked with dd (2.5) through the snow to get to the shop and buy the ingredients.

frozenfestiveflo Thu 30-Dec-10 21:48:33

YANBU that is just vile! And regardless of whether it sounds snobby or not you should be proud of homemade!

huddspur Thu 30-Dec-10 21:48:42

YABU

People can do what they like although I don't think frozen vegetables are very nice

usualsuspect Thu 30-Dec-10 21:49:48

I had aunt bessies stuffing balls on christmas day shockand a ready made trifle

Dansmommy Thu 30-Dec-10 21:52:12

You sound a bit precious.

mutznutz Thu 30-Dec-10 21:52:17

I love cooking homemade food, I don't like frozen roasties....but at the same time, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd just make sure next Xmas was spent at home.

As for your dessert, well maybe they don't like that sort of thing and the Tesco's one was their favourite? smile

southeastastra Thu 30-Dec-10 21:53:05

i bought aunt bessie yorkshire puddings and i usually make my own

i say how they were made on a tv programme and would like to support the aunt bessis brand as being a nice family company

southeastastra Thu 30-Dec-10 21:53:26

i say i say

thefurryone Thu 30-Dec-10 21:53:32

YANBU I have a passionate hatred for all things Aunt Bessie, I know this makes me a bit of a snob but I honestly don't care. Once you get the hang of timings roast dinners are one of the easiest things in the world to make and that includes yorkshire puddings. I'm sure it must be cheaper to actually buy the ingredients rather than pre-cooked packaged stuff as well.

oneortwo Thu 30-Dec-10 21:54:45

YABU christmas is about the company mainly for me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now