Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

RAST results and sesame allergy

(5 Posts)
PootyPootwell Thu 05-May-16 16:26:03

My 14 month old DD had a RAST test recently following a bad eczema flare up following the introduction of sesame and nuts into her diet. Results were -

Peanuts <0.4 KIU/L
Hazelnuts <0.4 KIU/L
Cashew nuts <0.4 KIU/L
*Sesame 0.4 KIU/L (abnormal)
So I'm not sure if I'm worrying unnecessarily but everything I've read online says less than 0.35 is a negative, not less than 0.4, if anyone could shed light on that.

Regarding the sesame result, the doctor said this was a borderline result and therefore probably not serious, advised to have piriton in the house and to try giving her sesame in a few months. Does that sound right? I thought a low KIU/L wasn't indicative of how severe a reaction could be, just how likely a reaction was to occur?

Please advise me!

PootyPootwell Thu 05-May-16 20:00:58

Anyone? smile

mamado Wed 11-May-16 19:21:55

Hi PootyPootwell,

They do seem like very low scores and the advice of being cautious but not worried is probably good. My daughter has multiple allergies and whilst we normally have skin prick tests, she did have a blood test when on the LEAP peanut study - the scores for items she is allergic to ranged from 1.88 to 93.8 for peanut shock

Hope that helps a little smile

pashmina696 Wed 18-May-16 14:57:05

My understanding is that it is probability of a reaction, if it helps my sons sesame score was 69, and this was confirmed by a large skin prick test result too.

babybarrister Fri 20-May-16 09:08:08

I think that you need to ask the HCP to be honest as my understanding is that different allergens are safe/unsafe at different levels re rast tests - certainly re skin prick tests the size of the rash has NO bearing on the nature of the reaction, merely its probability

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now